'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you planning on running the roof or not?

I dig the look of this one with the tall screen with no roof, but I think if you're running the roof that lowering it will just add to the "phone booth" look.

7.jpg

2.jpg

Just looking at the proportions of yours with the roof on you could probably remove 3-4" without making it look too ridiculous and help out the proportions a bit. Another idea I had would be to scrap the top entirely and make a custom aluminum top riveted to a steel frame. Kind of a military hot rod look.

RoverHome004.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. It is very motivating. Skull, I really appreciate the pics of the VW powered "Landie".
Ever since I started on this project I have been thinking about a chop. Notice in the pic above that the roof cap is very tall and bubble-like. I think a flatter roof would be better. Also, it would look better if the windshield was lowered, eliminating the vents below it. Then the doors could be chopped to match. But that requires a lot of metal work and I don't want this project to stretch on too long. So a more conventional chop is more likely.

I don't intend to drive it with the top off, even though I think it looks best that way. Want to make it pretty weather tight and use it 9 months a year.

I was thinking in my head how those vent windows looked really cool, I wanted to photochop it and leave the vent windows for your windshield! What about like a canvas top a bimini style top?

MrCrowleyonJeepforum.jpg

Notice in the pic above that the roof cap is very tall and bubble-like. I think a flatter roof would be better. Also, it would look better if the windshield was lowered, eliminating the vents below it. Then the doors could be chopped to match. But that requires a lot of metal work and I don't want this project to stretch on too long. So a more conventional chop is more likely.

That was where the idea of an aluminum roof came from, to eliminate the "dome". It would be cool to eliminate the vents, I don't see it being that much work as everything there is pretty flat, but one thing always leads to another...

Whatever you decide I bet it will look cool.

You will have to sit in it before you decide how much roof to remove. My uncle ran these back in the 70's and early 80's and if I remember right you sat up really straight and tall in them. So you might not have much top to remove. Proportion wise I would like to see 3" out of the top frame and have it laid back 1 1/1" - 2"

PS (it needs a Leland V8 or Rover V8 emblem...hint...hint...)[P

Congratulations bob

Hi Bob.....
Mate, I've just gotta say this thing is sick with a capital 'S'....
I know where there's 1/2 dozen of these just rotting away that no one loves or wants.. I bet they'd change their minds if they saw how this one is turning out.... Well done buddy ! [cl

I have been looking for one for a not-so-ratty project. BUt they are all so expensive. Where are the ones rotting away?

Bob, with the overall flat, boxy look they have already, Just a flat lid wouldn't put it out of proportion and you'd lower it whatever the rise is in the bubble now. There was a jeep truck done around here somewhere with a flat top that really looked pretty good. Probably wouldn't be that involved either. You certainly do some awesome work so I'm sure it will be great whatever you do!

This is the original master cylinder/pedal mounting bracket. I have hours invested in it. The master cylinder originally pointed toward the firewall which wouldn't work with a large dual master cylinder. Moved the pedal arm pivot point 2 1/2", lengthened the arm and built an extended mount off the front of the bracket to mount the master cylinder. Won't be using the master in the pic. It sits pretty close to the fender top so I'll use a Mopar cylinder designed for manual disc/drum, that has caps on the reservoir.

Also got the steering wheel and column mounted to the dash. Not worth a pic though.

Still debating with myself about chopping now or later. I'm thinking the roof cap would not be totally flat. Just cut about half of its height out, Today a friend came over so I mocked up the seat and he measured the headroom, based on jfg's suggestion.
Having a bit of experience with fiberglass on the Fiat project, I figure I can make a roof cap with contour that is pleasing.

Thanks everyone for your interest in this project.

I have been looking for one for a not-so-ratty project. BUt they are all so expensive. Where are the ones rotting away?
Sorry Buddy, I'm talking about Australia, so that probably wouldn't help you... Over here, the fellas usually go for the early Series 1's & the later stuff gets look over.... My Uncle had a LWB Series 2 @ his beach house that we used to go down the beach fishing in, & when it came to be retired, he couldn't even give it away... & it was still a good registered vehicle. No one wanted the poor old girl :(

I tried relocating the the windshield lower but there's brackets on it that got in the way. So I grabbed a roll of Photoshop tape and made a windshield frame in the location I envision.

The tan masking tape is the frame. The blue tape is covering the remaining voids from the cowl vents.

Last edited:

Phototaped quarter view.

In these mock ups the windshield is not chopped, just lowered. The doors are "chopped" only enough to match the relocated windshield.

That's the ticket Bob - losing the cowl vents and lowering the windshield really cleans up the look of the roof. I've seen 50's Willys done in this way and it just looks right. [cl[P

Latest posts

Back