aluminum exhaust logs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebox

i want to run these on my 59 caddy 390 . they are off a boat and are double walled. do you think they will last . i am going to run them on a open front end. no hood or fenders.
icebox

Pure speculation, but I assume they're cast and meant to be water cooled. If that's the case, they'll probably crack in short order.

I'll bet donsrods can shed some light on the subject. Don?

they are cast . here is a pic of them .
IMG_5058.jpg
IMG_5062.jpg

Dr. C is right, those are from a boat and they stay cool by water being pumped in and out between the two walls. If you run them without a constant supply of cool water they will not make it. You can't even run radiator water through them because they will superheat the water and make the car run hot.

I know they look cool, but there is a reason you never see aluminum manifolds on a car.

Don

So dumb question here - why would a boat or anything else run those? Why would it be necessary to cool the exhaust manifolds, as I thought you would want them hot (i.e. exhaust header wrap, etc).

I think it is to due with the fact that boat engines run under heavy load at steady rpms for extended periods, somewhat like driving up a never ending big hill. That can really cook things so cooling the exhaust manifolds will keep the exhaust valve temps down so they don't burn up. I expect it also helps keep the engine compartment temp down too.

That is precisely it, you couldn't have a boat engine compartment getting heated up from high exhaust manifold temperatures, it would be dangerous. By running cooling water through them the temperature is kept to a mininum. You can actually put your hand on the exhaust manifolds of a running boat motor and they will only be warm to the touch.

Don

Pontiac used aluminum exhaust manifolds on

the Super duty motors.....GM Part # 9772521 and GM Part # 9772522

They worked well and were made of very heavy castings....Just a thought....

BED.......I think you should change your handle....

Yeah... run them and destroy a neat piece of old speed equipment because it's a "rat rod". :rolleyes:

To "The Devils Advocate"....LOL....just kidding man.....you're right....those things should be water cooled......any aluminum manifolds I've seen are some heavy duty stuff.....and even the pontiacs were known to crack....

Latest posts

Back