Another 50 chev chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tire looks flat but the axle is up on stands along with the rear I jacked up to level her out. I just like the way she looks with her ass on the ground lol.

What I find amazing, is that yer doing such kick ass work, while the car sits there all lopsided with one flat tire, I would atleast have to have it up on stands and some kinda level before cutting on it. yer doin' an Awesome job...! :D

Again I think the car is coming out great!!
I would love to learn how to do a section job. Would it be a pain in the butt for you to explain how you are doing it? I see it of course, but how did you know where to take sections out at different parts of the body? I see your section lines on the front fenders look higher than the cut lines on the rear fenders? Or am I looking at it wrong?
Is it as simple as getting the car level and measuring out say a 3inch section around the whole car?
Questions may seem retarded but I never did one before.
Thanks,
BB

It's pretty much that simple.
I was going to do a 4" section but then noticed that I didn't have the room for clearance on the rear fender and wheel well. I had almost 3" so I went that route and beat the top of the wheel well down a little so the 2 hunks of car met up the way I wanted again.
As for where I decided to make my cuts was based on where here was room as you can see inside I had to cut all the rear window junk and bracing out. But with that done you get an idea of where you have room and were you can cut. So I did my cuts based on the straightest parts of the car and where I figured everything would line up after the drop. Front to rear don't really matter for the lines again it's just what ever was strait part of the car at the time.

IMG_1718.JPG

I did a lot of research on sectioning found a few pics but nothing of the whole process so this is a lot of trial and error on my part with this car and I think it's turning out great considering I've never done this before lol
Hope that answers some of your questions.

Brent.

Again I think the car is coming out great!!
I would love to learn how to do a section job. Would it be a pain in the butt for you to explain how you are doing it? I see it of course, but how did you know where to take sections out at different parts of the body? I see your section lines on the front fenders look higher than the cut lines on the rear fenders? Or am I looking at it wrong?
Is it as simple as getting the car level and measuring out say a 3inch section around the whole car?
Questions may seem retarded but I never did one before.
Thanks,
BB

Thanks Brent.
That is kind of what I figure as far as the theory.
I think I will try doing a pickup cab on my first try:D:D Then again it is only a car right? It can be welded back together:D

dude u just went at this full speed lol, it looks like uve done this in one weekend but how long do u have into it?. looks awesome man keep it up!

Pretty much 4-5 days actually if you tally up the hours in the evenings at a casual pace :D

Hoitink,
This really is awesome. I've been looking a doing some radical surgery - like this plus a bit more - to my 51 Chevy truck and you've inspired me to give it a go!
I always wonder when it seems to look so straight forward. I think you need to give yourself a bit more credit - you've got some rockin' skills going there.

Best of luck with the project and keep us posted on the progress!

Get Down Dude

A man after my own heart....jump in and do it:D Vary nice. this is what I want to do if I ever finsh my rod. have you looked into getting the glass work done, priceee ?? cant wait to see you finish it Doug

man you are one brave man. its funny i ran across this thread when i did because my wife and i were just talking about doin a sled after i finish the "A" she wants to section chop channel and slam a 55 bel air and i told her i have never done that before but said i would learn and here we go you have done it all already awesome thanks and great build

New toys!!

dec1.JPG

Time to squash the trunk
First gotta cut out the guts

dec1%20(1).JPG

Next mark it and cut er up

dec1%20(2).JPG

This part was a lot of trial and error now I know why everyone bitches about doing these trucks and nothing lining up or stretching to place lol. Eventually got er figured out.

dec1%20(3).JPG

One tip on that H.F. english wheel - weld it together at all the joints. Those crappy bolts don't hold well at all and the whole thing will start flexing on you, giving you fits and making you want to kick it over. Welded together it is MUCH better and not a bad little wheel for the price.

Your build is coming along well. Looks good!

Next time the Custom Shop tells ya it'll be 2 arms an' a leg to do yer ride.. tell 'em ya know a guy that can do it over the weekend with just simple hand tools...LOL

Dang man ..! you made all that work look way to easy.... Awesome job ,Thanks for shareing.:D

Latest posts

Back