Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really will get this thing done someday.

I was wondering if anyone has seen or tried using the fresh air vent in the cowl as a air scoop for the engine? I would greatly appreciate any photos or info you might Have. Sorry I have not posted in a while due to working on other projects but this truck is always on my mind. I plan to update soon. I have been polishing on an old set of ET slot mags I traded for. I figure they will look much better than the outlaw II wheels that are currently shown. Also I took the plugs out of the 455 and turned it over some last night. It turns real nice for motor that has set for a spell. Think I'll slap some valve seals in it and Cover gaskets along some fresh paint. Viola rattle can rebuild!

I was wondering if anyone has seen or tried using the fresh air vent in the cowl as a air scoop for the engine? I would greatly appreciate any photos or info you might Have. Sorry I have not posted in a while due to working on other projects but this truck is always on my mind. I plan to update soon. I have been polishing on an old set of ET slot mags I traded for. I figure they will look much better than the outlaw II wheels that are currently shown. Also I took the plugs out of the 455 and turned it over some last night. It turns real nice for motor that has set for a spell. Think I'll slap some valve seals in it and Cover gaskets along some fresh paint. Viola rattle can rebuild!

Using the cowl vent is a cool idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I really like ur trucks, very kewllllll. I have a 57 that I'd like to update, maybe lowering springs and a dropped axle...... I also just acquired a 52---6400 series. Where abouts in Ks. are ya located? Musturd????? MMMMM
Keep on truckin'[cl

Direct to you from the bowels of Mother Russia I present the Olga 7 liter! 10 times more powerful that any American engine. Our scientist are afraid to run any more than a 2 barrel carburetor out of fear for what this monster will do to the Earths gravitational field.

ratthings006.jpg

Here are the wheels I traded for. I spent about 2 weeks polishing on them and have lug nuts and washers on the way from Egay. These are 7x14 I also have some 8x14

ratthings002.jpg

My neighbor is going to re-cover my original bench seat for me black with yellow piping. I really like the storage area under the pop out seat.

ratthings007.jpg

Here is the truck setting in my other garage. It will be going back into the shop soon.

ratthings003.jpg

The cast coat paint on the engine reminds me of Industrial Irrigation engines I used to see all over in western Kansas as a child.

Last edited:
Minor set back on the 455. I did a compression check and found the number 6 cylinder could only muster about 40 psi. After pulling the valve cover I found a broken rocker stand then after further investigation I found 2 bent push rods and a 2 damaged lifters. Oh well the parts are less than 20 bucks to repair if you you don't count the $28.00 intake turkey tray gasket. still not bad. While I got the intake off I'm thinking about looking around for a aluminum intake. The cast iron 2 barrel weighs in about 100 lb it seems like.
I'm betting this motor was flooded at one time and liquid locked that cylinder thus causing the damage but who knows. I'll check tomorrow and make sure the valves are not seized also.

It's cost me a whopping $14.38 to make repairs on the valve train. It's got 100+ compression in that cylinder. Not too bad for a almost dead battrey and a suspect starter.

It has been an on going issue with the power steering pump. After taking a second look at it I realized the steering shaft was going to be in the way. The only fix was to move the engine or modify the Power steering brackets. I chose the latter.

53rattake2003.jpg

I fabricated a plate to move the pump up 1 1/2" and inward 1" at the top. I also moved the alternator to the right side by using a A/C lower bracket and part of a R/H upper bracket. The rest I built. This lined it up with inner groove on the pulleys so I moved the P/S pump forward to line up with the outer 2 pulley grooves.

53rattake2005.jpg

This wasn't too hard but time consuming and I'm glad I did it on the engine stand instead of in the car. maybe more later this weekend.

Last edited:
The color selection on your engine and accessories is very attractive. Nice that you solved all the alignment problems without buying hundreds of dollars of aftermarket brackets.[cl

Yes the hundreds of dollars are kind of rare around here. So anyway I decided to work on the brake assembly this weekend. I used part of the pivot assembly off the old truck to make a hanging pedal set up. I'm going to try manual brakes since this thing should be fairly light. I already had the master cylinder that was scabbed onto my 56 when I got it.

53rattake2003-1.jpg

I still have some grinding to do and need to drill some holes in the firewall so I can mount this thing

53rattake2006.jpg

I'll most likely have to adjust the return stop some and shorten the linkage some to get the correct travel and position of the pedal. But I'm happy with the results. I'll shoot some picture of when I get it painted and installed

Latest posts

Back