Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the hardest things there is to do is to build a really nice , smooth and even trans tunnel . I don't have a slip roll , I hope you do , for your sake ! your truck looks great

Too bad you don't live closer, I have a perfect top from the beltline up that is just setting here taking up space.

Looking very good. Interested in seeing what you do with the fender well area.

You are doing a great job on that truck, like this build a lot,that will be a cool and very drivable truck.Looking forward to see more.

cab

hey i actually just chopped the top off for a convertible of my 48 gmc cab. its in awesome shape. its got about half of the a pillar left on the lid so if you want it and wanna pay shipping ill send it to ya. or im looking for a single master cylinder setup if ya wanna trade hahaha.

A freind gave me this roof that has had a sunroof cut in it. It had already been stripped and primed. I'll remove the inner doubler and a section to repair the rusted windsheild area. The more I look at this truck the I think I'll leave the top stock. Still thinking it over. Right now my primary goal is to get the steering figured out.

rattystuff7580007-1.jpg

I'll need to get some steering shaft and 1 more u-joint. More on that later.

I got the steering shaft almost complete. I like the fact that total cost for this was $0.00 I had most of this stuff lying around or was able to fabricate it. I scrounged the rest from various places.

rattystuff7580008.jpg

I wanted to run parallel along the engine as low as possible. This will allow room to build my headers over the top in a symetrical fashion. I had to kind of get over a small hump at the cross member

rattystuff7580009-1.jpg

HUMMMM? MR. 62Chevy II do those female 3/4 hiem joints look familiar?

rattystuff7580007-2.jpg

I have some welding and such to do to finish up here. I still need to fasten the steering tube to the fire wall. Next up will probably be the brake booster and pedal assembly

I thought I would show my steering wheel. A freind gave this to me. It is out of a dirt car and had been bent up in a crash. I straightened it out and am in the process of polishing it up some.

rattystuff3002.jpg

I reckon it's been done before but I made good use of a old Cragar center cap. This one is smaller than I have seen before. I made my own steering wheel adapter of of some scrap material. I drilled a 11/16 hole and pressed it on the shaft and broached it. I also made cup shaped peice to cover the gap between the column and the adapter.

rattystuff3006.jpg

I think I'll work on the bed just enough to get some prospective on it. I mocked it up and this is where I am so far.

rattystuff3008.jpg

I going to stare at it a while and let the wheels in my brain go around some.

Heres what I came up with on the bed. Not sure what I'll do with the tail gate yet.

ratbed53003.jpg

I added some angle braces to help hold the bed sides solid.

ratbed53004.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll run a tail gate or just fab up a solid end for the box. I have a few ideas rattling around in my brain. I'll most likely use aluminum tread plate for a floor.

ratbed53007.jpg

I think when the truck settles some as I anticipate it will look about right.

ratbed53006.jpg

I have several small jobs to work then I might do the brake booster and pedal assembly.

I went and found a set of 455 Olds heads to do a mock up. I determined right away that the steering shaft was not going to work.

ratbed53014.jpg

I had to lower it about 1 1/2" to get some more clearance. In order to do this I had to add another universal joint and another 3/4 heim.

ratbed53021.jpg

I got my header flanges and a few parts from Speeway motors to build the headers with.

ratbed53017.jpg

I went with 1 3/4" simply because I had some extra peices lying around already. I will use 3" collectors.

ratbed53015.jpg

Heres what I have so far.

ratbed53024.jpg

I had to section some out of the top of the frame to clear the #1 header tube. The passenger side will be much easier. The head sets about 1" farther back and there is no steering shaft to contend with.

Nice flanges.... heck, nice fabbed headers.

This is going to be such a distinctive truck. Those original headers are going to look extra sweet hangin' off the 455. Props to you buddy.[cl

edit: forgot to add... the cragar s/s cap on the wheel is a really creative touch.

Trucks lookin good so far.[cl Can't wait to see the finished headers! Heck, can't wait to see the whole truck when it's done!:D...CR

I got some more work done on the left header. I'm pleased with the results.

ratbed53028.jpg

I'll probably cut about 2" or so off of the collector. I also need to get at least 1 more combo bend in order to do the other side. Once I get them fit I'll take the individule tubes up and have a buddy Tig weld them together. Then I'll put the collectors on and the flanges.

ratbed53032.jpg

I had to push it outside and clean out the running mess in my shop. I took the liberty of mocking the hood and grill up for a photo.

ratbed53033.jpg

This must be a sign of spring. This Robin got trapped in my garage.

ratbed53010.jpg

Hey TW, do you think you could run through what your steering u-joints and parts came off? I'm looking at my linkage and it looks like I need exactly what you have.

Latest posts

Back