Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went through this whole thread, you do some good work man! I really like the job on the rear suspension. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished product![cl..............ok, I'm ready for some more[P.

Just went through this whole thread, you do some good work man! I really like the job on the rear suspension. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished product![cl..............ok, I'm ready for some more[P.

The rear end did turn out good and thanks for the words of encouragement. Maybe I've started a new trend LOL! But actually I am blessed enough to have some good freinds who help me out and let me borrow thier stuff from time to time. Without thier help and advice I would have a heck of a time getting anything done.

Great job

Man your build is awsome. Have started my own build (52 F5 cab) and you've given many great ideas. Plan to use the rear end out of my Malibu drag car and you rear setup is perfect. More pics please!

I've been messing around with the bed and tail gate lately. I went down and traded some hard earned cash for some over priced expanded metal that had been rolled flat. Here is my bed.

xmas2010003.jpg

Here is my tail gate

rats006.jpg

And here is what I used for a latch.....stole the idea elsewhere on this site.

rats007.jpg

Hope to get the roll pan done before too long. I guess I'll go sell some blood for the sheet steel I need.

Worked on the roll pan some. I recessed the tag and am in the process of building my own tail lights. I'm not done yet but here is what I have so far.

rats009.jpg

In order to be able to remove the bed and access my battery I had to make the front panel removable.

rats010.jpg

I installed Dzus fasteners so that it will all come out in 2 pieces.

rats012.jpg

I was wanting to use these instrument clusters from a 73 Cutlass but the fuel gauge is bad and that stole some of my enthusiasm.

rats013.jpg

I'm dealing with the flu so I'm not sure how much I will get done before it's back to work Tuesday later

I forced myself to get up and go out the the shop in spite of my flu symptoms. I worked on making a template from card board for my tail lights.

rats017.jpg

After taking a break for some rest. I laid everything out on some 18 gauge.

rats018.jpg

I turned my welding vise into a brake by tacking some angle iron to it.

rats020.jpg

After another rest I capped the ends

rats023.jpg

I put a 1" hole in the middle and snapped the Ford light socket in place. I'm pretty tired this Flu crud is making me a wimp. Later

Next I painted the inside with some silver paint then sealed the ends up with clear silicon.

rats024.jpg

While that was drying I fashioned some refractors out of some .030 aluminum. I polished one side with jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel.

rats026.jpg

I then pop riveted the them to the housings and popped the light sockets in for effect.

rats030.jpg

I had some 1/8" Lexan left over from a projection screen tv. It was used to protect the screen. I cut 2 pieces that would fit the open side of the housings.

rats027.jpg

Then I painted the inside of the Lexan with Testor's Candy apple red spray enamel that I got at a hobby shop.

rats028.jpg

I just got to run to town and get a couple 1157 light bulbs so I can try these out!

rats031.jpg

Later!

I hadnt checked in on this one in awhile lookin real good...

Got a little more done this week. As I mentioned before I sectioned the cross member and cut the scrubber thing off of it. One reason was to get more clearance and another is if I decide to use a rack I'll have a nice flat spot to mount it on.One more thing I may need to do is make some clearance for the power steering pump. I'll know more after the mock up.

oldnumber53017.jpg

I had another bit of good luck. A freind of mine who owns one of the nicest 2 door 56 chevy wagons in this area decided to go with tubular A-arms on his Camaro stubbed wagon. He gave me the A-arms that already had new ball joints and poly graphite bushings. These had zero miles on them and were already coated with POR-15.

oldnumber53018.jpg

Please don't laugh at my art work but this should convey what I am trying to do here.

oldnumber53019.jpg

I'm about ready to start taking the cab off the truck If the weather will hold up. Oh and by the way I beleive I have the old L-6 engine sold from the truck.
I'm not going to need it.

I generally don't think these trucks should be fenderless but I really like your artists rendering. If your build turns out like the drawing it might just be the first fenderless AD that I actually like.

I generally don't think these trucks should be fenderless but I really like your artists rendering. If your build turns out like the drawing it might just be the first fenderless AD that I actually like.

Just a guess, but I think keeping the hood is what really steps it up a notch.

I would like to think the front wheels being about as far forward as I could get them and the hood make a difference. I have seen these done with straight axles and s-10 frames with the front axle in the stock position. I personally did not like the way they looked but thats just my worthless opinion Another thing is I have never been a fan of chopping the 47-54 trucks. It's getting so hard to find older cabs and parts. I hope someone will be inspired and come up with even more ideas for these trucks. It's all a matter of personal preference though. I enjoy so many of the projects that we have on here and get a ton of ideas from them. As long as your having fun thats the whole point.

Here is a shot of the tail lights. I'm going to make a video of them with a flasher installed when I get a chance.

rats034.jpg

I would like to think the front wheels being about as far forward as I could get them and the hood make a difference. I have seen these done with straight axles and s-10 frames with the front axle in the stock position. I personally did not like the way they looked but thats just my worthless opinion Another thing is I have never been a fan of chopping the 47-54 trucks. It's getting so hard to find older cabs and parts. I hope someone will be inspired and come up with even more ideas for these trucks. It's all a matter of personal preference though. I enjoy so many of the projects that we have on here and get a ton of ideas from them. As long as your having fun thats the whole point.

Here is a shot of the tail lights. I'm going to make a video of them with a flasher installed when I get a chance.

rats034.jpg

Personally, I like chopped. If ADs are getting scarce in your parts, come up here and I can put together a semi load of cabs for you in a couple hours. They are, without a doubt, the most common old vehicle around here, every farm yard has a couple.

Tonight I was bench racing with my neighbor and he asked if I was gong to make the hood and grill one piece and flip forward for access to the engine. I said I hadn't planned on it. Right now the hood is hinged from the stock location but after thinking about it some, it would be really cool make it a one piece tilt front end. The stock hinges are all sprung and jacked up anyway.

rat025.jpg

I think I could pull this off easy enough by bolting or welding the hood to the grille and making it hinge from the frame horns. I also would have to redo the radiator support but I think I have that worked out anyway. I'm glad he came over Now cause I likey!

Latest posts

Back