Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like everything you have done on this truck except the head lights. They just look out of place. Maybe move them back some so they don't give it the bug eyed look. Hard to explain but they seem to counter the flow of the truck which is really slick. it has a natural flow of front to back.
jim

I tried about every conceivable position with the headlights. Move them back and the upper a-arm will hit them. Move them down and the tires will smack them in a tight turn. I tried big vintage head lights and it really looked weird. I think they are about as good as I can do for now. To be honest they have grown on me some. I think if they had some patina on them no one would notice them much same goes if it was painted. What would think of the original GMC green that was flattened with the grille bars painted flat white. The frame is going to be black.

53rattake5015.jpg

53rattake5009-1.jpg

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think withme it's just the size of the headlights, and not the location or style. Everything is beefy ,then the smaller headlights kind of stand out. I've seen some folks mount them in some strange places. Especially when using the original hood . I saw one who had the headlights mounted on the firewall , and actually looked good for that particular truck. Who knows.

I like the truck but agree,

the headlights look sort of out of place..... they look so new.... maybe if they were patina'd like the rest of the cab they would go sort of invisible???? Or, (and I mean this in good humor........keep them and name it "Das Fish"....I know, Bad.......:eek:

the headlights look sort of out of place..... they look so new.... maybe if they were patina'd like the rest of the cab they would go sort of invisible???? Or, (and I mean this in good humor........keep them and name it "Das Fish"....I know, Bad.......:eek:

Ok, I'm not pokin fun at this project, but does it not look like a catfish? Love the full hood look.

I once caught a bullhead catfish when i was about 14 that had been stepped on by a cow. This has been known to happen in small farm ponds. We called this fish Smitty after another freind of mine. This truck looks like Smitty! I always kind of liked old Smitty. And I was going to call it the Rat turd Express

I'm glad you have a sense of humor.....

I once caught a bullhead catfish when i was about 14 that had been stepped on by a cow. This has been known to happen in small farm ponds. We called this fish Smitty after another freind of mine. This truck looks like Smitty! I always kind of liked old Smitty. And I was going to call it the Rat turd Express

I was afraid you'd take offense to my fish thang.......I think "Smitty's Fish and Chips On The Fly....would be a perfect door decor.... what'ch think????

You know maybe you got something there........Naaaaaa! But thanks for the suggestion.LOL! I guess i could call it the Fish Flyer....Kill Bluegill....bottom feeder....Channeled cat. I think that expanded metal in the bottom of the grill is looking too much like a fish mouth.

I like the Bottom Feeder

You know maybe you got something there........Naaaaaa! But thanks for the suggestion.LOL! I guess i could call it the Fish Flyer....Kill Bluegill....bottom feeder....Channeled cat. I think that expanded metal in the bottom of the grill is looking too much like a fish mouth.

Got my vote.....

Sam fear inspired me to roll my junk outside for a photo shoot. Ah the glamorous life of a rat rod. Heres my day in the sun

53rattake6020.jpg

Man that red door sticks out like a bucket full of sore a$$holes.

53rattake6027.jpg

53rattake6017.jpg

I really like this thing. I was going to make it a cowl induction but as hot as it gets here in Kansas I thought twice.

53rattake6024.jpg

Anyone notice the the divider I put in the fish's mouth?

My personal favorite
53rattake6021.jpg

I hear that transmission tunnel calling my name.

I finally started on the transmission tunnel. I wanted it to be removable and made from one piece of sheet metal. After several attempts at mocking one up with cardboard and one trip to the local Jack-n-Jill store for cardboard I came up with this.

53rattake6033.jpg

I added these triangle pieces after I cut out the damaged areas. I plan on added flanges to these for the front of the tunnel to bolt to.

53rattake6035.jpg

I sat the shifter on there for effect. I think I will move forward some and then recess a area about 2" deep for it to set on. Hopefully I can use a shifter boot to cover it up. This will take some more pondering.

53rattake6034.jpg

Maybe tomorrow I can layout the sheet metal and cut it out then head to my friends shop to brake it.

After I finished the pattern I laid it out flat and transfered it to the sheet steel. I cut it out and left a little excess for good measure. I then made a trip up to Kurt Motors in Douglass Kansas and borrowed their 8' brake.

53rattake62004.jpg

I had to do some hand forming to get the twist out of it.

53rattake62001.jpg

Now it's on to the flanges at the front and then back. heres the front tacked into place.

53rattake62007.jpg

My hood makes a great place to do drawings.

53rattake62005.jpg

I still need to do some trimming and cut part of the seat apron away for the tranny/driveshaft tunnel. later

I thought I would work on the shifter recess while I was working on the transmission tunnel. The first thing I did was fix the old Cutlass shifter up some. I took it apart painted it and tapped an Indy T handle to fit.
rattunnel009.jpg

Next I cut a hole in the tunnel
rattunnel010.jpg

Layed out the .065 sheet metal and cut it out for the pocket.
rattunnel007.jpg

I might add I used my cut off wheel to relieve the bends some because .065 is hard th bend without an official brake. I used my home made poor boy brake and a rubber hammer.
rattunnel011.jpg

here are the results.
rattunnel012.jpg

Then I mounted the shifter to it.
rattunnel015.jpg

I tacked it to the underside of the tunnel after lining it up.
rattunnel020.jpg

Here are the results
rattunnel018.jpg

Next I'll build a cover for the top side out of some 3/16 aluminum and a bit of sheet metal.

Heres another shot of the Tunnel in place. I found some stainless steel screws with counter sunk heads simular to the screws that the transmission cover originally had.

rattunnel024.jpg

I might even put a cup holder in there before I'm done. I fiddled around with a peice of aluminum tread plate for a shifter cover top but I'm not sure thats what I want to do.

I cut this top peice out of some aluminum plate and attached it to the shifter with 2- 1/4" stainless steel button head bolts.

rattunnel028.jpg

Next I fabricated this cover out of some 18 guage steel. I made it in 2 peices the welded it together in the middle.The ends are angled outward 30 degrees. Afterwards I added some cross peices that the 2 bolts run though to hold it all in place with the plate and the shifter.

rattunnel031.jpg

Here it is all in place on the tunnel. I think it turned out pretty good. Next I'll put the cable on it and see what other problems arise.

rattunnel035-1.jpg

I think my next major project will be the drive shaft tunnel. Later

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back