Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought i would show my Fuel tank kit.

dabomb001.jpg

I've been busy working on my 4x4 for a while but i still found time to collect some parts

Thanks for the kinds words. Just thought I would let you all know I have in fact not dropped off the end of the world. I always seem to have a ton of other things to do in the summer months. I had to build and install a new engine for my 4X4 Chevy. The old stop gap engine in it blew a head gasket. I have wood to cut also so hence I've been busy. Right now here in good old Kansas we are having 105 degree weather with almost no rain but high humidity. Right now my shop is bearable because it has a ceiling and both East and west garage doors can be opened. So I have been working some on the 53. Last year I got the left floor and kick panel done. I finally got around to the other side. Pretty much the same as the other side but I did have to make this floor patch for the cab mount. The torch and my press came in handy to make the indented area.

53rattake62010.jpg

Here is the kick panel

53rattake62015.jpg

Here is the outside and thanks to Kurt Motors for letting me use their bead
roller.

I finished to tranny tunnel also

53rattake62024.jpg

Here is my WWII vintage O2 tank from a B-17. Some one was using it as a air bomb. I think it is about 8 gallons or so. I welded a bung on the top and made these nifty brackets from some sheet stock.

53rattake62019.jpg

I probably put a fuel cell in this truck eventually but this will do for now and I think it looks really cool. It still needs some paint work and polishing.

Looking great man. The gas tank turned out very cool! It's all coming together nicely!

Yeah, this weather has been hotter than... well... [ddd

Been doing some rework and such. Since I raised the engine 2" I was able to straighten out my steering shaft and remove 1 universal joint. While I was at it, I patched a hole in the sub frame. I also decided to chain my dog up. See photo

53rattake62016.jpg

I found this tranny cooler in a box of junk at my brothers place. I think it came off a Allis tractor. It needed to have a few fins straightened out but should work fine. It has AN8 fittings. I'll just reduce it down to AN6.

53rattake62017.jpg

I reworked my brake pedal to put it closer to the floor. I also got rid of that goofy looking pad and replaced with this semi curved one made from some tread plate. I also snagged a gas pedal assembly from a S-10 blazer and retro fitted it to my truck. Check that snazzy custom foot pedal.

53rattake62022.jpg

he are some shots outside and a picture of my sweety.

53rattake62018.jpg

53rattake62029.jpg

53rattake62025.jpg

53rattake62023.jpg

I started out to just fill in the old floor mount pedal holes. After hitting it with a wire wheel I found some more rust to repair. I cut out a 8 x 8 area then fabricated a patch to go back in it's place. I used my vise and some angle iron to make the indented slot. I have the same problem on the passenger side unfortunately.

53rattake62031.jpg

I also built this collar clamp thingy for the steering shaft.

53rattake62030.jpg

I'm about ready to take the cab back off and do some rework to the chassis. Hopefully I'll get it painted and start the final assembly before too long.

Nice man!!!! I was thinking of doin the same sorta thing with mine as far as the open wheel modified inspiration goes[cl...set of soft hoosiers around some aeros and maybe even bead locks for the hell of it!!

I decided to remove the cab and bed this weekend so i could finish the chassis. With some help I got that done.

53rattake62032.jpg

I got quite a bit done and i am now ready to take the chassis apart and paint it.

53rattake62033.jpg

I added some bracing to the frame and raised the transmission up an inch. I also got the drive shaft done.

53rattake62035.jpg

raising the tranny was a cinch . I just removed the tab on the cross member and put it on the top.

I'm a rebel without a clue! .....I only have two if any issues with IFS. My complaint is that sub frames are so wide and the steering is box is out in front of God and everybody. It is what I had to work with and I bet it handles really good with all that engine set back I have.

Last edited:
That would be a fine day to pull up in your drive with this beast Russ.

I got the chassis disassembled. After grinding on it a couple days I shot a coat of primer on it. With a little luck and if I don't too distracted by college football (Go KSU!) I hope to get it painted. I guess it will be black but I toyed with yellow also.

53rattake62037.jpg

Once I get the chassis back together I will do the firewall on the cab and try to get some coating on the bottom side of it. There are about 300,000,000 holes in that firewall so I will just replace it all with one sheet. http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/images/smilies/helmetsmile.gif

By the way this thing followed me home last week. I guess that fact that it has 412 HP and a 6 speed didn't hurt it's chances. The 06 was getting tired and need some work. They gave me retail for it in trade so I had to sign my life away again.

redstang004.jpg

It's almost as fast as my 442LOL!

So it's been a while since I have updated my thread. I have been working on the truck on and off and have got a few things accomplished. As I stated earlier and like I did on my 56, I am running the exhaust though the cab corners. This time I'm attempting to do a better job. I broke down a purchased a 4" hole saw to create the holes with. You talk about a wild ride holding on to my drill motor but I persevered. Here are the results.

ratassembly001.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-07

I had to go thru the outside and the inner panel. Once I got done I fashioned some sheet metal into a tube then inserted it into the hole. after trimming and welding here are the result. I think this gives it a nicer finish.

ratassembly003.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-07

Since I'm freaked out by the thought of carbon monoxide poisoning, I fabricated these block of plates to go on the corners of the cab floor. I still need to tack these in place and paint them.

ratassembly008ic.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-07

I also spent the better part of a week patching the 80 some holes in the fire wall. I applied rust inhibitor the underside of the cab then painted it all over with Bed liner. I have done this to the floor and seat apron also. It looks much better in person. This picture makes it look crappy. I like it so much that I'm gonna do it to the under side of the tilt hood.

ratassembly004.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-07

ratassembly007.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-07

I think it looks purty!

ratassembly009.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-07

When I last posted I was painting the frame. Here are the results. Dig that pillow air cleaner!

I installed a battery box and Ford style solenoid and ran the battery cable and brake lines to the back. I'm real close to putting the cab back on!

ratassembly010.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-07

later dudes!

I got the cab put back on the frame and started painting it on the inside.

ratassembly018.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-23

I also installed the brake pedal assembly,steering column and the cowl vent.

ratassembly016.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-23

I also put a Mid 70's Olds speedometer into the original GMC housing. I going to make a filler to fit inside to hide some of the bolts. I plan to put a 4" tach. in the other side. I just painted the bezel as the chrome was in pretty rough shape. The rest I shot with some semi gloss black. This looks really nice installed and I will get some better pictures of that later.

ratassembly013.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-23

Another thing I have been messing with is the vacuum wiper motor. After giving it a shot of WD-40 it worked great. I'm going to use the original ignition switch with a push button starter additionally.

ratassembly020.jpg

By tw7256 at 2011-11-23

I plan to get some wiring done this week end and some more painting.

Latest posts

Back