Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Just a little more power" with a good cam & timing chain? I bet, nice job getting that fixed before it got really expensive.
Looking good, I like the flip front end.

It's been a while since I posted. The motor got hot one too many times and it finally spun a rod bearing. This was right after I got it tagged and insured. After the marathon to get it going this was a big let down. So I let it set for a while. To be honest with you I thought about rolling it over with the tractor and cutting it up with the torch for a while. A good friend talked me down from that ledge.
I re-thought a few things while it sat and came to the conclusion that the 22' radiator was never going to keep a big Olds motor cool. The only way to get a bigger radiator was to lose the steering box. The steering box has been a pain from the get go.
Another thing was I was wasting time and money with was used engines with unknown history's. I already had a rough bored .03 block ready to be honed and a new set of forged pistons. I went on a scavenger hunt and came up with a sweet Nodular crank that was standard plus a new Air gap intake for cheap. I also picked up a used engine that had the rods I needed plus extras I could sell or trade. The rotating assembly is ready to be picked up from the shop after balancing.
I got a manual rack and pinion from an old Late model chassis and picked up a 28" radiator. I'm back at it again and will post photos later.

Here are some photos of what I've been up to. In this photo is the Woodward rack I installed to get rid of that unsightly steering box. This came of an old dirt late model chassis. It is manual for now but I'm looking to put a servo on it someday.

rathood013.jpg

I relocated the headlights lower and a little farther apart. Also in this one you can see the 28" radiator and the new front section I built.

rathood008.jpg

This is the shaker hood scoop I built. I used a KN velocity stack that I got of the Graig's list. The top comes off with Duz fasteners so you can access the air cleaner and carburetor.

rathood007.jpg

Here is a front shot. The little eyebrows allow clearance for the bigger radiator. I made them with my torch and a hammer and dolly. I think they add character. I like the lights being lower also. Many people take issue with the lights but the are really bright.

rathood011.jpg

rathood010.jpg

Here is another shot. I sold the aluminum Slot wheels after a similar truck showed up at a car show last summer with a set. It was on a S-10 chassis though. I prefer my set up personally. I got some new back wheels and I am currently looking for something different for the front. Todd out

Just need rings and bearings to start re-assembly of the engine. I want a set of Adjustable rockers arms also. I really hate all the time it takes to shim or mill down the stock ones to get the lash correct.
I have a few more little projects also in mind like a roll pan and extend the bed sides down a bit. I also plan on making a removable cross member for the motor mounts.
Thanks for the encouragement! The goal is to be driving all over by the spring.

Nice build, lot of great looking fab work you have done. That thing looks bad ass like a bull dog. Keep up the great work.

Here are some pictures of the work on the front of the chassis.

rathood016_zpse3841a39.jpg

rathood017_zps6d715f64.jpg

This is a few of the bead roller stand I have been working on for a friend. I made good use of an old engine stand. I get to use this thing as payment for making the stand. Sweet!

rathood018_zpsf8bb7ded.jpg

I think I'll rig up the old steering wheel from the 53 for the bead roller.

rathood021_zps81589942.jpg

Todd out!

This is a few of the bead roller stand I have been working on for a friend. I made good use of an old engine stand. I get to use this thing as payment for making the stand. Sweet!

Thanks buddy, this is proof that if I procrastinate on a project long enough, someone will do it eventually, lol! :D

It looks great, you are the man.[;)

Did you put any oil restrictors in mains? That was a typical issue with them, not enough oil stays on the crank when you rev them, it's all going to the heads. That probably contributed more to the spun main than the overheating did. They are a great engine if you fix the oiling and give some attention to the valvetrain, particularly the rockers.
Also they don't rev like a chevy, as you probably know. Even my (stock) 66 442 stickshift ran it's quickest if you shifted before 5000rpm.

Originally I did not build the motor it was stock. I pulled it out of an old car hoping it would run for a while. What really killed it was it had never had the oil changed and had the crap diving out of it. Having poor oil pressure also contributed to the overheating issue. I put oil restrictors in the 455 in my 73 442. I plan on doing it to the new motor for the 53 also. I'm still collecting all the parts and will do a thread on it when it's ready.
There is a debate about whether or not that actually helps I believe it does but not for the same reason. The bank angle on Olds engines is so flat that oil does not drain back to the bottom end efficiently. A 6 qt pan and decent oil pump is another good idea.

Here is what I have been up to lately. In this picture I have extended the bed sides down 8". After making a template I cut out the panels then used the bead roller to stiffen them up some. I broke the upper edges and drilled a few holes and spot welded the panels in place.

ratrear011_zps9b5518a5.jpg

A while back I picked up these wheels for the back. I'm wanting to put some big M/T drag radials on them sooner or later.

ratrear009_zps40efec2b.jpg

The slicks look pretty cool but I would have to buy tubes for them and would prefer something a little more road worthy.

ratrear005_zps4daefee8.jpg

I am working on the rear roll pan now.
Todd out!

I had to do a reverse vasectomy to get this panel on.

ratrear013_zps8e5c307c.jpg

Got a bit more welding to do here and add a few inner braces to the sides still.

ratrear017_zps579b3b82.jpg

Todd out.

Latest posts

Back