Anyone else using LS motors?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
After living with the LS3 transplant in my Chevelle for nearly 2 years I'm *really* impressed with the power & streetability of these motors (umm... other than suckin' an air cleaner bolt down the hole)! I run the carbed version since I'm used to carbs & have had problems with EFI motors. I noticed that several big car mags are all over LS swaps & the pieces for swappin' are more available & really coming down in price. What say ye?!?

BoB

Attachments

• LS3bullet.jpg
    LS3bullet.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 46
  • LS3frontrunner.jpg
    LS3frontrunner.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 47
  • hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 56
That looks painfull.I have seen all the stuff about using them,supposed to be able to make lots of power with pretty well stock engine. I am thinking of doing an older truck as a daily driver and would probably use one for that.My 2004 silverado has the 4.8 in it and seems like a really nice and strong engine.

I haven't used one yet, but i have evey intention of using one soon. If I can finally sell my 56 wagon, I want to get one for the 63 Nova I'm picking up (C4 Corvette suspension with the LSx motor and either a 5 or 6 speed). If I can't sell the 56 anytime soon, I'm going to stick an LS in the 56 and at least start putting it together.

I love the 5.3 in my pick up...4x4 extended cab with a bed cap and I still get almost 17 mpg with it and it has no problem pulling out into traffic :D

I'll be helping a buddy out with building his 64 Chevelle, and it looks like we're gonna be loading a 5.3 into it. Everything I've ever seen or heard from these engines speaks loudly of just how good they are and the incredible power they can make for little money. I suppose the more than One Billion Dollars GM spent developing this engine was well spent.

I know they are good engines and can make easy hp..I would consider one in a full bodied car that I never had any intention of raising the hood..Just not a good looking engine in my opinion..

Two years ago at the Performance World Car Show in Toronto there was a 32 Ford coupe (glass) that had what looked like a Hemi in it the first time I walked past it. Later that first day I looked at it a little closer and still thought it was a Hemi but it had a fishy looking blower on it. This stuck in my craw untill Sunday afternoon when I went and had a really close look at it. And low and behold there it was, a very cleverly discised LS motor and it was only the blower that made me think twice about it. That car ended the weeked being crowned the Grand Champion of the show.

They are all aluminum so the weight shoud be advantageous. I'm impressed by the output of the LS-1 in my late model daily driver, albeit supercharged.

This is LS-1 powered. Not too shabby...........................

new guy here, I am starting my 37 chevy truck RR. I have been working on my LS motor for about 6 months now (saving and spending). I have the dist drive kit to run the Ford Dist, and a four barrel intake. using a 04 vett pan, 317 heads, and a few more goodies. Its a 408 CI, 6.0 block with 4.00 stroke, 4.030 flat tops, way over kill but what the heck. This was going to be for my circle track car but getting tired of working thru the week just to have someone wipe me out on the weekend. Wegner Automotive is the place to look for information on these items. They engineered the NASCAR ls spec engine. anyway I have lots of qestions to ask about building my own frame. I will just start with the the first one. Can I use a 6" drop axel, spring behind, and not have to z the the front half and not much if any channeling? I do have lots of experience building IMCA mods so I am not worried about any fab skills, I do have 6x14 plate jig to build on so this should help with the 20 year build. Thanks

I don't see why you can't set up the chassis as you suggest. A 6" axle drop is a lot. Yoy may end up with some steering part interface issues. But that can all be worked out.

I have done about 11 swaps with LS motors. Everything from daily drivers (88-98 c1500 pickups) to a T76 turbo LS in a mustang and a turbo LS in my datsun 610. I haven't put one in a rat yet but my 35 might get one. The 35 might get a 6.0L or a 6.6 duramax diesel. Not sure yet. very strong motors and the heads are great from the factory. put the front cover swap and distributor on it and it loks like a ford motor. [cl

I have done about 11 swaps with LS motors. Everything from daily drivers (88-98 c1500 pickups) to a T76 turbo LS in a mustang and a turbo LS in my datsun 610. I haven't put one in a rat yet but my 35 might get one. The 35 might get a 6.0L or a 6.6 duramax diesel. Not sure yet. very strong motors and the heads are great from the factory. put the front cover swap and distributor on it and it loks like a ford motor. [cl
Heads are exactly what just took a dump on my son's LS in his Tahoe. 706 castings from Castech evidently are prone to cracking. The guy he took it to quoted him $3300 to replace the heads. Anyone got any good ideas on what to do? Heard about using some Stop Leak copper to fill the cracks. How about welding?

DON'T use stop leak. I am a GM tech and all that will do is plug everything esle up. Yes the castech heads suck. They crack right around the bolt holes. You can swap on a set of 243 or 891 heads off of an LS1 motor. The 317 heads off of a 6.0L will fit but will lower your compression ratio to 8:5-1 (9:2-1 stock). A cylinder head swap pays around 12 hours of labor and is fairly easy on these motors. just remember the head bolts are torque to yield meaning you have to use new ones.

I was saying most of the heads are great as in the amount af air they flow. The 706 heads are the only castings that had issues. All the others are good to go.

I dropped in a supercharged 6.0L in a 58 International Harvester A-120 pickup, had a few problems with wiring but overall wasnt actually all that difficult. I'd definitely drop another one in any other project I have.

While we are talking 5.3 here, I have a few questions. We have an 06 Tahoe with the 5.3. It is a great truck and does almost everything you could want, except have enough power to tow a loaded enclosed trailer. We live in the valley and the only way out is over a mountain. I need to do something to this little motor to get more power and torque so we can pull this trailer.

Can we put headers on this with a true dual exhaust and a cross over? I think it has dual cats and 4 o2 sensors. What to do with all of that.

You can swap on a set of 243 or 891 heads off of an LS1 motor. The 317 heads off of a 6.0L will fit but will lower your compression ratio to 8:5-1 (9:2-1 stock).

Ummmm... I'm thinkin' this would be a perfect swap if anyone with a red Chevelle was thinkin' about addin' a blower!!! Say... maybe something like this...[ddd:eek:[ddd

Attachments

• superchargers_main-1.jpg
    superchargers_main-1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 4
Those Edelbrocks work very well.
On the 5.3 power issue a good dyno tune will wake up about 40 HP and 40 ft lbs. You can also turn down the toque management ( PCM open the throttle plate slowly under 20 mph to be easier on the drivetrain) for the throttle body and you can play with the shift time and rpm after 1/2 throttle as well. short headers gain you nothing over the stock manifold. The best bet is to do a good cat back system. An 04 Z06 cam and springs (about $400 at the sealer) with the tune will really wake it up without losing your low end torque that you need for towing. You would see 60 - 75 HP/TQ more with the cam, spring and tune swap. Cam and spring swap is about an 8 hr job.

Latest posts

Back