anyone ever consider going diesel?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joukaishou813924

i saw a feature done on the ****ed off pete build by blatolene and it got me thinking bout trying a diesel swap, anyone ever think of doing one, and if so what diesels?

I'm thinking bout trying a 6v92 and shooting for around 750hp

i wanted to -- looked at everything from inline 6 from a coach rv to f250 and even volvo/vw ---
almost even bought an f250 with no reverse for 400 dollars but was too slow on the buy and got beaten out ---
decided if a great deal comes up ill go ahead and buy the sucker and lock her up just in case for a while -- but it doesnt really fit into my ""budget"" unless i come across a super deal...

i will say that my buddy just traded some huge military truck with tandem rear axles thats has an inline 6 that runs on just a bout anything apparently -- he drove it home on hydraulic fluid -- and it is awesome...

i found a site that had a bunch of detroit diesels for $3000ish up, and they had a nice selection to pick from, other than weight the hp and tq potential is pretty impressive

for me the scent and sound wont bother me, i work on an air force flightline where theres always a scent of jet fuel, and diesel in the air, plus running engines all day

Dad had a 6V92 in a ford 9000 series 10 wheeler......

i don't think you could build a ratrod that would hold up that behemoth--huge, massive physical size would also make it hard to see around--those things would swallow a model A-body!! ...not to mention the size of the transmission to back it up
and as a side note- the technology of the 6V92 is on the edge of bizarre
being a 2 stroke, 4 valves per cylinder, (NO intake valves either[S) supercharged, and turbo-ed.....and it was always leaking some amount of oil out what we referred to as the "puke" tubes.....the opinion i have of a 6V92 is a little negative biassed as you may have gathered.....

now if I was gonna diesel a ratrod, i'd look for "ecomomy" in a lil' 4 cyl passenger/lite truck set-up, or maybe even one of the cummins diesel 6's found in the Dodge truck line-

while i beleive this is the dry weight ur right its heavy, but at 2005 pounds and 41" long 39" wide 52" high i think i may be able fit it. but that would require some work.
The other engines i had in mind was a 6v53, 4-71, 6-71, and a 4btc

while i beleive this is the dry weight ur right its heavy, but at 2005 pounds and 41" long 39" wide 52" high i think i may be able fit it. but that would require some work.
The other engines i had in mind was a 6v53, 4-71, 6-71, and a 4btc

Now if'n you located an aluminum 6v53, then you need to ship it to the Pookies asap. LOL

Think of the "wet weight" as this will be the weight going down the road, unless you are making a lawn ornament [S then consider the trans, rear ect.

the thing that makes me think about a diesel is power, tq and possible gas mileage while doing so

the add on ****ed off pete said he got 15mpg at 70 mph, with what i beleive was a 12v71 engine

dunno yet, im kinda thinking the tbird, but i'd only be able to get away with about a 40" tall motor max, while i know i'd be able to clear the 4bt no problem, im kinda thinking a lil motor sticking out of the hood would look kinda cool, btw pookie, what are the dimensions of the 4bt and 6bt cummins?

Latest posts

Back