Column Drops

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewski

I find myself needing some suggestions or photos to help me fabricate a column drop for my truck. I'm not interested in the fancy billet drops, and I'd like to do something different than the commonly used connecting rod or a rusty muffler clamp. I've done a search and haven't found anything. Not a very exciting subject I guess.

I'm using an early 70's gm tilt column with a quickly thrown together drop, but I'm not satisfied.

IMG_0218rev0.jpg

Creative thoughts or photos would be much appreciated.

Drewski

How about fabbin a support that comes off the cowl instead of the dash that ya can't see.
Then it looks like no drop @ all.
Just floating under the dash.
That gets people scratchin their head all the time for me.
Sorry don't have any pics, but it ain't no big deal to figure out
Good Luck

I like what you have already. You might make a wood face for it out of some redwood or fur or take some small chain and tac it to the edge what you have and maybe make a wrap around the column and go back up the other edge to the dash

gee.....i thought my 360 ford connecting rod WAS cool:( ....maybe just in arkansas[S

i thing your drop looks very professional-and that, IMO is more important than just "different"......but i know what its like to want to do something a little different--just remember what a friend of mine tells me (ALOT) "you don't have to go and reinvent the wheel on everything you do...:D [;)

BTW...34guy's idea sounds really cool

Here's one I had on hand and modified.

The turn signal switch goes in the empty center hole

I don't have a straight on photo of the drop in the car but you can sort of see it in this side view.

gee.....i thought my 360 ford connecting rod WAS cool:( ....maybe just in arkansas

BTW...34guy's idea sounds really cool

HRP, don't take my comment the wrong way.... The connecting rod idea is along the line of what I'm looking for. It is a different way and I'm just trying to explore other possibilities.

34 guy's idea is what I'm looking for. I hadn't thought of doing it that way.

Drewski

I find myself needing some suggestions or photos to help me fabricate a column drop for my truck. I'm not interested in the fancy billet drops, and I'd like to do something different than the commonly used connecting rod or a rusty muffler clamp. I've done a search and haven't found anything. Not a very exciting subject I guess.

I'm using an early 70's gm tilt column with a quickly thrown together drop, but I'm not satisfied.

IMG_0218rev0.jpg

Creative thoughts or photos would be much appreciated.

Drewski

My suggestion would be to get rid of the 70's column, its gonna look bulky no matter what you do. A smaller diameter column will give you more of a chance to be creative with the drop.

How about a big chain with the links welded together? Wrap it around a piece of pipe the same size as the column and weld the links together? Now thats different.. heh.. :)

Regards,

Reverend D.

Took a hunk of 1" thick steel and started cutting on it --
01Columndropstartfrom6x10x1blockste.jpg

Carved it a bit more with a grinder and file --
02Blankcutout.jpg

With a bit more work it looks like this --
10LeftDrop.jpg

Running a mid 70s GM van tilt column with shift

Canuck

Drewski,

Looks from your photo like your existing drop sorta matches the shape and taper of the instrument cluster opening, if you looked at it head on. Why not "box out" the existing drop, with rounded edges so it looks like an extension of the existing dash?

Canuck, that column drop is a work of art!!:cool: Thanks for sharing your pics and ingenuity.[dr

Regards,
Shea:)

Sorry no shots of the column mounted. Early 70s GM van column with shifter for auto trans, so it is reasonably slender. Will have a 4 spoke BELL sprint car steering wheel (currently wall art in the office). Dash is a 34 Chevy Master with a custom made panel with early SW gauges.

Curremtly being torn down to fit dash with defrost vents.

Canuck

Sorry no shots of the column mounted. Early 70s GM van column with shifter for auto trans, so it is reasonably slender. Will have a 4 spoke BELL sprint car steering wheel (currently wall art in the office). Dash is a 34 Chevy Master with a custom made panel with early SW gauges.

Curremtly being torn down to fit dash with defrost vents.

Canuck

I hope you're keeping the camera close by. Photos.....please.

Thanks,
Drewski

Latest posts

Back