"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got the items you needed from that guy. Maybe you can trade something for the front sheet metal.

That ole guy doesn't do much trading unless it's a rare vw part. I'll just do the grill and driveshaft and go for it. Still have to find some round head lights. That's all.

I've been working on this grill thing for years, it seems like. It's getting there. I don't have the funds for insurance and title work anyway. Might as well take my time and have fun. I laid the ole Indian('55) on there today. I'll mount it later. Just been piecing things together. I found what might be enough, aluminum heavy screen for the grill openings. I've got some good stainless but, after careful calculations,:eek:, there's not enough. That's nothing new. Onward!! That's all.

Attachments

• Indian.jpg
    Indian.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Indian 2.jpg
    Indian 2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 36
I ran across a good idea for headlight buckets. I was walking around Wallyworld and saw these stainless bowls. Just the perfect size and I think they'll work out good. I'm getting the grill done slowly. It doesn't look right in the picture but, in person, it looks OK. I think mounting the headlights on the outside of the grill will work out. I've still got to get the mesh in the grill openings and mount the Indian. And I accidentally discovered that a ⅜" tubing union works good for a ⅜" bolt union. I don't recall ever needing a bolt union but, I did today. I'm running out of needed usable material so whatever it takes is in for now. That's all.

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 35
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 42
  • coupling.jpg
    coupling.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 32
Mixing bowls and unions holding bolts together...

Who's have THUNK!! you are living up to your moniker...if it doesn't work, I'll try something else......also...necessity is the mother of invention...:D [cl

I messed around on this VW emblem and trying to mount it. Finally looked around long enough and found an old computer fan and took the grill off. After a few choice words and about an hour, I got it figured out. Then cut out some cardboard for the screen pattern. I've only got enough screen for one try so it has to be right the first try. And I played around with where to mount the headlights. I'm thinking like the first pic but further outboard. I could make a light bar to go all the way across for mounting. But I've got to decide before doing the grill screens. The bar will have to go thru the screen. I don't know. Anybody have suggestions?? Thanks.

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 38
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 45
  • cardboard.jpg
    cardboard.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 36
  • vw.jpg
    vw.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 41
Like the lights outboard. The fan shroud with the emblem is very cool. Like building an entire car around it cool.

I really like the way this thing is shaping up, definitely gives me ideas about the front of my 40 Chevy I'm eventually get to work on again. Thanks for sharing!

Do these lights look in the right place?? It looks good to me but, wanted other opinions. Thanks.

Attachments

• headlights.jpg
    headlights.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 56
I was playing with a bar but that can change too. I was planning on coming off the top shock mount but, that is a real PITA. The spring shocks were extremely hard to get mounted and I'd rather not have to do that all over. I've still got a welding machine, plenty of rod and a lot of scrap. I'll lower the lights a bit and see what happens. Thanks.

I went to lower the lights and discovered the front sheet metal needed some more braces. Spent a while pondering and working on that and decided to just wire the tach up and start the ole 429. And of course, I'm going to have to remove the tach and take it apart to check that the little switch is on 8-cylinder. I guess that's the trouble. It's reading about 1900 at idle. It should read about 1000-1100. Green wire is to "Tach" on distributor cap, RED wire to "HOT" when running, WHITE wire to "LIGHTS", and BLACK to "GROUND". I got that correct don't I ?? It's been a while and the remember isn't kicking in today. Later.

Managed to get the grill screen wire roughed in. Went looking for some ½" wide aluminum flat bar to secure the screen with. As normal, not in this little town. I'll run over Monday to the lumber yard in the neighboring town. And I picked up four of the same, six lug rims and tires. I got one on for looks. The fender is going to need a little work but, I think they're going to be good. That's all.

Attachments

• grill 1.jpg
    grill 1.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 47
  • rear tire.jpg
    rear tire.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 44
I've got more time in messing with this front end than I did on the headers. Probably because I don't know what I'm doing. [S
I cut some more out of the Ford hood and got that about where I want it. And found a place for the '55 Pontiac V emblem. It'll help hold things together. Now, I have to go hunt down some more expanded metal or something to fill in all the openings.
I got the driveshaft measured for cutting and managed to create a conversion u-joint from one Ford joint and one unknown joint.(it had been laying around the parts house for years, they said) Just waiting for me. No one makes a conversion joint for this application. It seems all the Courier trucks used the same joint and that is the only thing that joint fits. I know I'm going to rip the flange apart first time the power hits it but, it's all I have until a 9" throws itself at me. That's all.

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 22
  • pontiac 2.jpg
    pontiac 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back