"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I figured out how to do this. The parts house didn't have anymore ¾" pipe clamps. So, I had to use what I had. I think it'll work out. And I've been looking again for some expanded aluminum for the grill. No body has it. The hardware store can order it but I ain't paying 30 bucks for a 19 X 36 inch piece of aluminum. I'll head west this weekend and look around. That's all.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 46
After stopping at about every junk shop and second hand resale place, in two counties, I finally found some grill material. I stopped at the high dollar fireplace and heater dealer, in the next little town from here. They had galvanized expanded metal instead of aluminum. That's even better. And I got a three foot by nine foot piece for seven bucks. I've driven by that place probably a dozen times, while out looking. Just didn't think they'd have it. But, that shows how I think sometimes. And now it's raining and 43* outside. That may be warm for some of you guys and gals but, it's cold to us in the south. I may go out and clean up my little shop and think about the grill. Maybe not. That's all.

Attachments

• screen 1.jpg
    screen 1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 21
Still a bit chilly for me but, I did go out and cut some cardboard out for patterns for the expanded metal. And went and helped a few friends move a '55 Chevy body a couple of miles back into town. He's replaced almost all the sheet metal except the roof panel. All new stuff. Seemed weird not having to watch where I grabbed it. No rust. What kind of fun is that? That's all.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 35
I've got the grill about as done as it's going to get. The front still looks like crud but, if I can find some sort of fenders for it, it may just look OK. Still have to find headlight buckets, get the drive shaft cut, and mount turn signals. The "to do" list is getting shorter. And I can't forget putting the windshield in. But, they are kind of proud of the windshield rubber, so, that is having to wait too. Hopefully, an employment opportunity will pop up soon. That's all.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 40
  • grill 3.jpg
    grill 3.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 47
Thanks. If I had made a buck an hour, on this the grill, I'd have enough for title work and insurance. On to the next item on the list.:)

I couldn't stand it. I had to re-do the top section on the grill housing. The way I had it, the whole top had to be unbolted to get to the radiator cap. So, I cut about six inches off, made a couple of aluminum blocks and mounted it on hinges. I've still got to do some sort of latch to hold the front down. I think it's a little better. It's done got cold and wet here so probably not much going to get done for a few days. That's all.

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 27
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 31
  • top 1.jpg
    top 1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 28
  • top 3.jpg
    top 3.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 32
  • top 2.jpg
    top 2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 40
It was great outside today, for a change, and I got a little done. Fabbed up a latch for the "hood", got the front turn signals mounted and working, mounted the fog lights and wired in, and made up some patches for the corners of this monstrosity of a front grill. I've got some small LEDs I want to mount under the wing tips of the Pontiac hood ornament. A red one for the right and a green for the left. Turn signal indicators so I don't forget. I really need to go back to work before I have this project so rigged up it won't even roll. About all that needs done requires cash, so I'm more or less just playing now. That's all.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 59
  • turn.jpg
    turn.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 45
  • corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 46
  • latch.jpg
    latch.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 40
The speedometer is now connected. After thinking all this time, I could use the regular speedo connection on the tranny, I remembered that the VW uses the front wheel and that is a one to one deal. If the tranny were used, the speedo would be measuring drive shaft revolutions instead of tire revs. So, I found an old Ford cruise control cable, cut the housing, homemade adapted it onto the VW cable and now it is hooked up right. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I want to rig the dash lights up. I can't find any 12v bulbs so, I'll have to use the original '61 6v and try not to turn the dash light dimmer up past dim. There just ain't nothin' simple anymore. That's all.

Yeah, those bulbs there are hard to find anymore, last VW I restored I had to order the bulbs from one of the specialty places, maybe Mid America, don't remember now, too long ago.

They are kinda "proud" of some things. And the shipping is totally out of bounds. I guess they figure if you're wealthy enough to restore or build a car, you will pay their price. Thanks.

Thanks to endicott_jb, I've got 12v bulbs ready for my dash lights. The number on the bulb is Philips 12829. That crosses to a Wagner 11009. Thanks again endicott. You solved my problem.

I spent two days helping Uncle change out his sewer line. Concrete pipe to PVC. I had to break up and remove old concrete pipe and replace it with PVC. A whole lot of knee work and digging laying down. But, we saved the magnolia tree and he got new pipe. I had no idea when he said there were a few roots. Wow.
But I did manage to get the dash lights in and working. I used the idiot lights for oil pressure and generator, for the left and right turn indicators. Even got a high beam light now. If I just had headlights to go with it. Some day. That's all.

Attachments

• sewer line.jpg
    sewer line.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 31
I spent two days helping Uncle change out his sewer line. Concrete pipe to PVC. I had to break up and remove old concrete pipe and replace it with PVC. A whole lot of knee work and digging laying down. But, we saved the magnolia tree and he got new pipe. I had no idea when he said there were a few roots. Wow.
But I did manage to get the dash lights in and working. I used the idiot lights for oil pressure and generator, for the left and right turn indicators. Even got a high beam light now. If I just had headlights to go with it. Some day. That's all.

GOOD GRIEF... that's one heck of an undertaking... I won't lie, I'd have one less tree... Roots are a paint to dig around...

Glad you are still making progress... I'm tuned in for more.[P

Latest posts

Back