Glad I'm not running a diesel!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad

Considered buying a diesel truck several times and glad I didn't. Gas has really come down but diesel is still a dollar a gallon more, that's ridiculous! :eek:

Toad

Made a trip to get my "new" car hauler last week. My dually 7.3 powerstroke got over 14 empty and 12ish with the big trailer. My brother went with his gas 3/4 ton chevy to get a little bumper pull with a small walk in cooler, averaged 4-5 mpg coming back from Texas with it, so yeah, there's more to it than just the cost per gallon. Plus there isn't a gas truck made that can pull the loads of a good diesel, at any mileage. My nephew tried a V10 a couple years ago, pulls a lot of big loads and it actually struggled bad with lighter loads on about 3 times more fuel.

Never saw the big whoop about a diesel. My good ole 89 F-350 crewcab dually averages 15 with or with out pulling my enclosed trailer. Stock 460 (except for dual exhaust) and 5 speed. It can pull as good as a stock diesel and less in fuel cost. Maybe it's just me but I can't stand the noise and smell of a diesel. Being behind one will make my wife sick. JMHO
Tim

Milage

I have a Chevy Druamax and have gotten 23mpg empty on the freeway. I once had a Ford with a 460 and got 18 mpg, 9 in the city and 9 on the freeway, lol.

My 01 Dodge Cummins will get 20 empty and 14 pulling 15000 lbs. at 70 mph. Going up big hills doesn't even slow it down.

My 01 Dodge Cummins will get 20 empty and 14 pulling 15000 lbs. at 70 mph. Going up big hills doesn't even slow it down.
thats why i bought one [cl
mines a 01 too
we can START on a steep hill with 15000lbs without a strain

Never saw the big whoop about a diesel. My good ole 89 F-350 crewcab dually averages 15 with or with out pulling my enclosed trailer. Stock 460 (except for dual exhaust) and 5 speed. It can pull as good as a stock diesel and less in fuel cost. Maybe it's just me but I can't stand the noise and smell of a diesel. Being behind one will make my wife sick. JMHO
Tim

:confused:[S:confused:[S:rolleyes:

Tim

You need to compare that 460 to a newer diesel. These newer trucks all have 400 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque. My 2012 Duramax will get 23 mpg empty and 13 pulling 12,000 lbs.

With the new trucks they are quiet inside and there is no more smell to them. I swore I would never own a diesel. Now I won't go back.

The old diesels were what you said, but not anymore.

You need to compare that 460 to a newer diesel. These newer trucks all have 400 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque. My 2012 Duramax will get 23 mpg empty and 13 pulling 12,000 lbs.

With the new trucks they are quiet inside and there is no more smell to them. I swore I would never own a diesel. Now I won't go back.

The old diesels were what you said, but not anymore.
inside the cab isnt an issue
but it is noisy and stinky outside
thats the only thing i dont like about em

The new diesels don't stink at all, unless someone has tampered with it. The newer trucks have exhaust filters and Exhaust injection to make them clean and not stink. The is no smoke with them either, but yet plenty of power.

I bought a '13 Ram with a 5.7 hemi to pull our 4000 pound travel trailer to the mountains. It has the instantaneous miles per gallon meter. It will pull the trailer at 75 mph up the steepest grade. MPG? 1. Well, there are no decimals, so it's probably less than 1. So, I figure I can go as fast as I can afford which is 50 mph and about 9 mpg.

Shoulda got the diesel?

I bought a '13 Ram with a 5.7 hemi to pull our 4000 pound travel trailer to the mountains. It has the instantaneous miles per gallon meter. It will pull the trailer at 75 mph up the steepest grade. MPG? 1. Well, there are no decimals, so it's probably less than 1. So, I figure I can go as fast as I can afford which is 50 mph and about 9 mpg.

Shoulda got the diesel?

I get about 9 mpg running 70ish with my big trailer completely loaded like in my previous picture. 03 cummins 6 spd manual.

If I slow down to a constant 60mph it will get about 11 mpg.

EDIT: my truck has 50 horse injectors and a programmer on it. Plus several other small up grades.

01 f350

MY Ford is hard to start in our COLD weather, even when the engine heater has been plugged in all night. My old 460 could pull almost as much, We have a gas Chevy 4 X 4 for most winter pulling.

i have owned both
and if i had it to do from square one knowing what i do now
i would go with the cummins 6 speed stick
the truck i bought from irpops is a wonderful tool for hauling

I gotta say, I won't pull with a gasser again unless zombies steel my diesel! With a gas job it is work. It is hard to believe how much power mu 2003 5.7 Cummins will make, and it gets 22 mpg empty and pulling real hard it will get 11 mpg. Newer truck make way more power and get better mileage.

Oh, and I don't smell no stink!:D that stuff is like perfume for men!:D

Thought the same thing.

I like my gasser trucks, but that is because I don't haul anything heavy. Most is a car once in a great while, but even then it is not very far. If I did serious hauling I would have a diesel. For me it is just not cost effective, for what the price of diesel is and the fact that my tuck only gets a couple thousand miles a year it just isn't worth it. For me the cost of diesel plus the benefits vs the cost of gas it would never equal out. My half ton truck gets around 18mpg average empty and depending on what I am hauling 11-13 loaded, but like I said I don't haul anything too heavy.

Flip side is I have a diesel car as my daily that I wouldn't trade for anything. It gets as much as 57mpg on flat cruising, 42 if you beat it. It also has bigger nozzles, turbo, exhaust, and a tune. Fun little car, quite the sleeper too. Lots of fun to play with and see the look on some peoples faces when you put your foot in it and start rolling coal past them!!! :D

Latest posts

Back