I fell off the wagon....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29desoto

Outside Rose Lodge, OR, which is outside Otis, whi
Everyone said when I started doing Rats that I had turned to the Dark Side!

(Oh, no, Luke!) Well, now I really have. And the first thing I ran into was Lucas electrical problems (he is known as the "Prince of Darkness" to British car fans)

A 77 MGB followed me home this week. Little yellow bugger kept up all the way. I been feeding it and petting it some, and I think it's going to stay around.

The body is amazingly straight, yet I know it had been in an accident. The passenger door did not get painted inside. 75 lbs oil pressure, no major leaks, little stumbly on idle, just generally neglected. But no sign of abuse.

It failed to start about half way home, and I thought Uh-oh! Got had. Traced wiring for a day and a half, and NOTHING appeared to be wrong. Remembered something I heard one time, and rapped the solenoid with a hammer. Started right up. They stick now and again.

OK, I am going to start goin to meetings again, and try to let this be a one time slip, so say a few words for me with the "Man". :):p:):p

Attachments

• DSC_0767.jpg
    DSC_0767.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 41
Cool little B. I've always liked them, but would be tempted to put a V8 in there.

Don

mgb.jpg

mgb2.jpg

But then you would have to get a cool license plate too.......:D

mgb3.jpg

Yup i want one of those, and just like Don id put a V8 down in there. Ive heard that a 289 or a 302 will slide in there with no to very little problems. Or you could always get a little 2.3 4 banger and put a nice turbo on there and hang with the V8's, minus the weight.

Yeah... I had one of those back in the day! It too had Lucas demons. Mine wouldn't stop running if you had on either the headlights or wipers. They are also positive ground! That stumbling at idle is because of those funky SU carbs. Unscrew that black knob on top os the carb & make sure it's clean down there, that's the needle seat form my recollection. You'll need to get a Unisync for Jegs to tune those SU & that's pretty straight forward. Nice catch... have fun!!!

BoB

Thanks for the guidance back to the path!

Don - the V-8 actually came in a stock car called the MGC. Don't remember a lot of details but it seems like it was the same engine they put in the Sunbeam Tiger. A small v-8.

And Tripper - no Su carbs (unfortunately) it has the single Zenith model for emission control. If I could find some HSU's I woud snatch them up in a minute. I know how they work (more or less -)

I just want to have it dependable to run up and down the coast highway here. Then one day when I get the Desoto going, pass it on. Got lots of friends....

Nice B... The engine in the MGB V8 is the old aluminum olds V8 built by rover, Stay light so the suspension will take the abuse. I rememer seeing a baby blue one with white walls, classy as could be, sort of like a nice suvivor 53 chevy.
Good luck !

Yeah... I had one of those back in the day! It too had Lucas demons. Mine wouldn't stop running if you had on either the headlights or wipers. They are also positive ground! That stumbling at idle is because of those funky SU carbs. Unscrew that black knob on top os the carb & make sure it's clean down there, that's the needle seat form my recollection. You'll need to get a Unisync for Jegs to tune those SU & that's pretty straight forward. Nice catch... have fun!!!

BoB

That would be posative to earth tripper. And don't forget it also has a dynamo, not a generator.

Latest posts

Back