International Harvester R-102 bagger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a miller 211. 212 abd 252, all great machines, I use a water cooled horizontal bandsaw and love it, new they're like a grand I got mine on CL for 250 bucks.its a Taiwan/import jet/northern/etc one.

Truck is ls looking great!

agreed

I also thought the stick would be overkill for most auto work.
I like the bandsaw because it can be used for detail work.
That wet chop saw is a freaking beast though huh?:eek:

new tools for the build

picked up a delta belt sander- disc sander combo( mid sized for brackets and stuff), a bench grinder and 5 heavy clamps for $70.

called on a 75 - 350 chevy/ 350 trans combo with headers. complete except flex plate. Needs cleaning up but comes with extra intake and a couple parts. Was stored in heated garage and marvel oil in cyls. no guarantees but it seems like I should not pass it up.

E bay steal today !

I sniper bid an auction for a pair of 50 oldsmobile taillights that have the spear tips on them. they need lenses and guts but I envision these mounted on my cab roof and could not pass up the deal. He wanted $249 buy it now but I snipe bid them for $99. NOS lenses are about $40 on internet and I will put modern bulb assys in them.
These will be about the only bling on the truck.

They will definately be a conversation starter- I am excited.[cl

Attachments

• 50 olds  taillights.jpg
    50 olds taillights.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 36
350 chevy engine and trans

1974 chevy engine and 350 turbo transmission.
complete minus flexplate. picking up this afternoon for $450.

Attachments

• WP_20130822_002.jpg
    WP_20130822_002.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 30
I sniper bid an auction for a pair of 50 oldsmobile taillights that have the spear tips on them. they need lenses and guts but I envision these mounted on my cab roof and could not pass up the deal. He wanted $249 buy it now but I snipe bid them for $99. NOS lenses are about $40 on internet and I will put modern bulb assys in them.
These will be about the only bling on the truck.

They will definately be a conversation starter- I am excited.[cl

Dude! NICE SCORE [cl
Do they follow the roof contour well? That's a great spot for rear lighting with the truck being so low! :D

size matters...lol

I saw a picture of a guy on the internet that was holding one for the photo.
It looks to be about 3 1/2 wide and maybe 7 tall with the spears maybe 14 inches.
With that size I assume the curve will be close enough to roof curve to work just fine. After the auction ended I saw another listing for one spear with lenses for $399 and the chrome was in poor shape.
Guess I made out awesome.
I did a buy it now on one lens and will bid on another today.

Attachments

• olds light.jpg
    olds light.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 50 olds  taillights.jpg
    50 olds taillights.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 9
heavy chevy

I picked up the 350 chevy combo last night.
When we tried to use his engine lift the seal blew out ..... ugh!
I brought a come along but he had no tree branches or rafters to hang engine from. Time to get creative.
Pulled front end of Ranger pickup onto a 3 foot hill to lower tailgate height.
hand moved snowmobile trailer to engine and slid engine onto tilted trailer.
dragged trailer to pickup truck and try to transfer engine up a 4 inch lip- epic failure. cart slid out and engine pulley through trailer floor. DOH !
lifted trailer up to truck level with jack and finally slid her in.
The engine has headers installed and seems to have been cleaned up and repainted in the past so I think I will just try and get her running with minimal work and hope for the best.

parts parts and more parts

I got outbid on a new set of 28.5x 18 pro trac tires on convo pro wheels last night so I veered to the front end and picked up transmission bolts, convertor bolts, starter bolts, plugs, wires, degreaser, oil and filter.
I noticed this morning that The spare intake has a quadrajet to holley adapter I can use if I cant get this quad to work. I have never worked on a quad and dont like all the extra ports and electrical plugs on it. I am hoping to at least be able to test run it with the quad by plugging extra ports. I assume the electrical connections are for choke, idle control kickup, but there is a greenish connector (2 pin on top that baffles me). Hopefully it isnt needed for basic idle engine test.
Back to E-B to look for vintage headlamps and scored a sweet set of Guide 32-36 ford side mount headlights with integral directionals for $130.

Attachments

• 32-36 ford lights.jpg
    32-36 ford lights.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 20
job prospect in restoration shop

I got a letter today from Bill- owner of http://bandcautorestoration.com/.
They are a high end resto shop near me and they saw my craigslist ad looking for a restoration job due to my being layed off.
I never knew they were there and the quality work they do blows me away.

It would be my DREAM JOB. [dr

I sent him my resume and portfolio just now..... I am excited!

thanks

Thanks for the uplift guys. Ill admit it is difficult to make a decision to spend half of all the money you have on a welder to finish a project you hope to turn around in a slight profit.
My welder is such crap that I have stopped welding for now and tried to find some parts. I think I will use the old directionals as cab lights. They will help blend the potential dreaded roof buttcrack.

What do you think?- they look ok to me there. The rear light bezels I bought end up being 49 olds futuramic 98 lights. ( see above post pics) .
I think the cab lights kind of blending or in line with those tail lights would look pretty Rad. The headlights are 39? ford side mount with directionals on them also.

Attachments

• 100_1594.jpg
    100_1594.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_1595.jpg
    100_1595.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_1596.jpg
    100_1596.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1597.jpg
    100_1597.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 20
No shame in taking a step back till the right tools are acquired.
I've done that, about a hundred times.
What welder are you using?
I've been using a harbor freight 220 volt, 180 amp? Welder. I'm in the same boat.
My welder certainly isn't best, but I've found it does okay when not pushed too hard.
It actually does sheet metal pretty good as long as you use smaller wire.
I had .030 in it and was really struggling burning holes, then switched to .028" and it's a world of difference.
I would suggest playing with the wore size and settings before writing off your welder.
I know EXACTLY how frustrating it can be. It's taken me over a year bouncing around different tasks before the cab was fully welded up.

I've got the Miller 211. Very happy with it. The 212 is twice the duty cycle for several hundred dollars more, but I have used the 110v plug on the 211 several times where 220v wasn't available. And as for duty cycle, it's rare I'm welding anything that pushes up against it anyhow.

85 Amps- lol

Try not to laugh but my welder was purchased at a parts store around 1985 for $100 because its box was destroyed.
It is a Silver Beauty brand ( I think made by a company in Italy that makes off brand welders).
It is only a 85 amp with 20% duty cycle and 4 preset heat settings.[;)

I've never seen anyone on this forum laugh at what another member is using or has to use to get their project done :)
Sometimes we have to take the baby steps to get where we want to go.
I started off with a $15 used bahemouth of a welder when I was 17,
a few years later, I bought a new Monkey Wards cracker box welder which I used for 15 years before I could afford a Miller Matic 200 :D
Back when I bought it the price was $1350.00, had to borrow the money to purchase it and never looked back ;)
I'm hoping you can land the job too [P

shizzitting bricks...

I have spent last 3 hours studying old builds and looking at his website.
Now I am freaking out... Im not a bodyman, I am not a serious welder, I am just an ambitious dreamer who likes mechanical stuff.

Latest posts

Back