JB's 1927 Dodge Brothers build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about the lightening holes, but I'm still not sure... Figure I can do that later, if need be. :)

Yesterday's project was to get the master cylinder/brake pedal assembly modified and mounted. It came from RPM (Ron Pope Motorsports) and is a FANTASTIC piece. Well made, easy to modify to your needs and FANTASTIC price! Kudos to Ron for another fantastic product!

Here's mine, modified and ready to go in...
brakes1.jpg

And, mounted...
brakes2.jpg

Today's project.... start on the steering. Stay tuned for updates, JB

Thanks Sam!

I made some SERIOUS progress on the steering yesterday...

I decided a long time ago that the BMW 2002 steering was the perfect setup for this project. Thanks to donsrods for turning me onto it... Fantastic steering box for cowl steering!

I started by adding a 1/4" flat stock brace to the side of the cowl, and after some careful guesstimation, I cut the hole for the shaft.
steer1.jpg

I then built a cradle for the steering box, out of 1/4" angle...
steer2.jpg

And added a extra brace on the end of the box...
steer3.jpg

Somehow I forgot to send myself a pic of it in place, so I'll have to add that later, but here's the rest of what I have...

steer6.jpg

steer5.jpg

I will be adding a slight recess to the cowl, to clear the pitman arm... and to keep the drag link as close to the frame as possible (for tire clearance).

I'm stuck at work all weekend, so I'll have more Monday or Tuesday... JB

Here's the cradle/steering box tacked in place... There will be more bracing, so I'll have more pics Monday or Tuesday.... JB

2012-02-23_22-06-45_263.jpg

Thanks fellas!

Nothing picture worthy... I got all of the bracing done and cut the recess in the cowl. And ordered my steering shaft/joint/hub and steering wheel. It came Wednesday and the steering shaft was missing. It seems that it exited the 3/4" hole in the box. I called Summit and should have a replacement Friday!

The biggest news, I GOT MY TITLE IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY!!!! IN MY NAME, EVEN!

I am off all weekend, and hope to wrap up the dash/tunnel and start on the floor sheeting and body mounts... Updates soon, stay tuned! JB

Wow JB, this thing is looking SOOO RIGHT! [cl[cl

Love the brake pedal and steering. I've been through this thread a hundred times and never get tired of looking at your fab work, just outstanding :cool:

[P[P[P

Thank you Snake!

I searched for a couple hours, to find a steering u-joint to go from the the BMW (17mm-36, measured.. not confirmed) to a 3/4 DD shaft and couldn't find ANYTHING with a 17mm-36 size... So, I just made a coupler.

Here's the beginning of it... (I love my holesaws! If you don't have a set, GET ONE!)

1.jpg

After a couple holes, a 3/4" hole (cut with the holesaw again... :) ), a piece of 3/4" DD shaft and a little welding....

2.jpg

Next up was to transfer some of my dash ideas to steel....

Here's the starting point...
3.jpg

Here's what it looks like now...

4.jpg

All three panels (left, right and center gauge) are bolt in and can be removed for easy access/ modifications. They will be painted a different color than the surrounding areas, so this should make that job SUPER easy...

Here's the start of my steering column... I found it in dad's barn. :)

6.jpg

After a little d.o.m. tubing, a 3/4 flanged bearing and a little welding...

7.jpg

Directly behind the flange is a piece of 1/4" angle, that is tied into my cowl framing and steering box mount (Pics when I have the dash back out), so you will be able to, literally, lift yourself out of the car using the steering column... because I KNOW someone will do it eventually.

8.jpg

And, a test fit of the steering wheel...

9.jpg

Also, I had the bright idea to call my LT Friday morning and ask for Monday and Tuesday off.... APPROVED! So, now I'm off until Friday and should be able to finally take a spin around the block before I go back to work!

Thanks Flipper!

I figured out a way to seal the steering shaft where it comes through the cowl... I started with a piece of exhaust pipe that fit the hole and cut/welded it in place.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Then I made a "seal" out of a thick piece of rubber... (mudflap I found in the road last week)

16.jpg

Finished the cowl recess...

13.jpg

12.jpg

Then I made my new drag link... and the steering is DONE! :cool:

14.jpg

15.jpg

Tomorrow I will be starting on the floor!

Thanks!

I finished the floor framing, then concentrated on getting it drivable... I finally got to drive it! As for 1st drives, it went fantastic! I have a couple videos on my facebook page, but cannot access facebook at work, so I'll have to post them later...

Monday and Tuesday, I'll be making all the body mounts and getting a plan together for breaking it all down for final prep... (finish welding, bodywork, pait, etc, etc) so I'll have more pics then... JB

Here's the floor framing...
framing.jpg

Latest posts

Back