JB's 1927 Dodge Brothers build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:
I'm trying.
When I click the link it doesn't show anything (picture/video) wise.
I can click "next" and see your pictures, but can't find any video.

very nice.. ! no sound but sure looked good moving down the road

Thanks fellas! It was hard to control myself... I wanted to "get on it", but I had to keep reminding myself that most of it is still tacked together... lol

I spent a LOT of time this weekend, visiting with neighbors, friends and family... Seems like everybody was out seeing what was going on in my shop this weekend... Been waiting on that all winter! Good to have company in the shop...

I did manage to get a few things done, the first being the baffles. I will be wrapping them with muffler packing during final assembly, but they clean up the sound a LOT, as is...

I used some 3" tube I scavenged from the scrap pile...
one.jpg

two.jpg

twob.jpg

twoc.jpg

I also made my front shock mounts/ headlight mounts... I used the original front frame horns for the H/L mounts... I changed the upper beam bulb/socket to a double filament and it will now be parking lights/turn signals.

shock1.jpg

shock2.jpg

shock3.jpg

shock4.jpg

The headlight housings are solid brass, so I'm going to research stripping chrome from brass.... Otherwise, the headlights will be painted black...

That's all for now, JB

Thanks fellas!

I found a piece on the internet that claims you can strip chrome from brass, by soaking the piece in acetone (or bleach), totally submerged... for about 2 hours. They make it sound like it comes off easily. I'm going to try it soon. I think the headlights would look BITCHIN in brass... Slightly weathered, of course... :)

I got my new battery (Optima) yesterday, so I am almost done buying parts. I still need to buy wheel cylinders, shoes and a proportioning valve for the brakes, but that's just about it! Thank god, my wife's patience is getting a little thin with the nickle and diming.... lol

LOTS of progress!

The floors are done with the exception of the access panels...

a.jpg

b.jpg

f.jpg

I also made a removable cradle for the fuel cell... (I had to make it removable to allow clearance for removing the body) During final assembly, I will add a weld on each leg for peace of mind...

c.jpg

d.jpg

Saturday, about 10 of my buds came over and helped lift the body off...

e.jpg

g.jpg

Yesterday, I cleaned the shop and re-grouped... Now I'm ready to add a crossmember or 2 and some crossbracing... and finish tearing it down for final welding/grinding/sanding/paint.

i.jpg

It was a PITA to flip the body (HEAVY), but it will make it a BREEZE to finish welding the floor framing and skins... then, I'll seam seal everything and undercoat it.
j.jpg

Somebody was asking about my body mounts...

Here's how I did mine...

I bought a 1/2"x2" bar of urethane stock and cut my insulators out of that with a holesaw...

k.jpg

I made my frame brackets out of 2"x2"x 3/16" angle and welded them 1/4" below the top of the frame. I will be adding corner gussets to each side of the frame brackets. I made washers our of holesaw leftovers and drilled the center hole to 3/8". Being that the insulators are 1/2" and the frame brackets are 1/4" below the top of the frame, this will allow a 1/4" gap (plus the 1/8" for the washers) between the floor framing and the frame...

l.jpg

All the crossmembers are done! I added one directly under the engine and this one at the back...
2012-04-04_17-58-33_657.jpg

I decided to put a "X" in the back, to help with chassis flex and to keep the frame from "racking"... It, too, is done.
2012-04-05_22-20-53_338.jpg

Now, I just need to finish disassembly and finish the fishplates and suspension mounts and weld everything up. I'm stuck at work for the weekend, so it will be a few days before I have more progress... JB

What’s up with all this weekend work! I had to work all last weekend.
Car is looking awesome, getting it wrapped up just in time for the shows to start up. :D

Thanks! I am OFF this weekend, so I should be able to make some serious progress...

I finished cutting the front fishplates last night, just before the wife got home from work! :)

2012-04-10_21-20-32_354.jpg

I spent the day welding yesterday... made some progress and found out that I will need (at least) one more 10lb spool of wire... lol

Here's how she sits, waiting for the weekend...
2012-04-11_16-11-57_151.jpg

Latest posts

Back