MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty similar to what I'm doing. I'm just not chopping the top. Not much head room for me

Olds Cutlass frame with IH frame in the center. I don't know if I'm really cheap or dumb[S
Picture004.jpg

Bed shortened 9".
Bed001.jpg

Once I get the car here I will take the tape measure to it.

Daman, do you have a thread going for your build? Looks awesome. I sure could use some of the info from your build. Looks like you already crossed some of the roads I'm about to travel. Your Rolling chassis looks great. can you tell me some more about it or if you can just point me the direction of your thread.....
I found a picture last night that convinced me to keep the long bed and the fenders. I may not even chop the top down now. I will post a pic of it in a few.
Only real reason I was thinking Ford was because I already have a transmission. But, if a Chevy motor and trans falls into my lap.....

that is a good looking truck you found there....[dr
as i would like to point out, a truck doesn't necesarily have to be chopped-top to be cool......i think you have a good chance of making one look good, for a fairly cheap budget, even do it in a reasonable amount of time (not 10 yrs like mine) if you keep the mods to a minimum.......the binder is a good looking truck esp. the one you have....
as others have said, do some measuring, find a donor and put that thing on the road![;)[cl:D

Thanks for chiming in Daman. Your project is sure gonna help me out. I'm real curious about the Cutlass. If the front and rear suspension is a good choice for the weight of this truck. Is the wheel spacing(left/right) dead on to fit nice size wheels in the fenders. Is there any aftermaket suspension upgrades for the Cutlass? If this is a perfect fit. What years/models of the Cutlass should I look for to use as a donor. Is there any other models that use the same frame/suspension as the Cutlass so I can increase my chances of finding one for cheap. What about the Crown Vic?

Here goes. There is a ton of suspension upgrades for the G body ( Chevy Monte Carlo/ Pontiac Grand Prix/ Buick Regal/ Oldsmobile Cutlass) From 1978 to the late eighties. My rear end (12 bolt) is from a '71 Chevelle wagon straight across, my upper control arms and '71 lower control arms bolt it right in. The only difference is 1 1/2 inches wider on each side 3" total. I have 255/60/15 on my Olds rims for the rear and they tuck right up under the fenders. The Vectors are 10" wide and come right to the edge of the rear fender with a lot of room. The fronts are the same width as the original IH

Weight issues. This truck is already lighter than the Cutlass was fully loaded.

Fitment. I measured everything quite a few times before I started cutting. I had a vison of the pickup I wanted to build and thankfully it kinda all fell together.

That K in the pic you have is a pretty nice rig

When this pic was taken there is no load on the front end. The jack stands are under the frame. I think they fit pretty good under there

420binder002.jpg

Yeah, the more I see it out in the open, the more I like it. Funny, I had all these plans of chopping the top, cutting down the bed, and maybe going fenderless. Now way. It stays how it is. I will find another car to do that to. This one is in too good of shape to not use what's there.

Latest posts

Back