MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I picked up a motor today. I'm not too knowedgable about Chevy motors but it seemed like a good deal. I was hunting for a low mileage 350/350 combo and figured I could just add some performance goodies along the way.
But found this motor freshly rebuilt with the performance goodies already there. Not sure what kind of power I will get out of it but I'm guessing around 300-325hp. I will try to find a rebuilt 700R4 transmission to mate up to it.
Here is what he had advertised on the motor....

Rebuilt 63 Corvette 327 Engine

This engine came out of a 1963 Corvette Split Window I recently bought. I’m putting a stoker motor in the ’63 so this is for sale. Block was bored to .060” over with new TRW pop up pistons with molly rings, double roller riming chain turns a new Crane Fireball cam with advertised duration of 286°. Block also has new cam bearings and freeze plugs. Crank was turned to .020”-.020” with new Clevite rod and main bearings – new high volume oil pump with hypo intermediate shaft. Heads are angle plug Fuely Double hump with stainless 2.02” intakes and 1.60” exvalves. Heads are street ported (reworked bowls and gasket matched). Heads have screw in studs with CompCam guide plates with Hypo 3/8” pushrods. Heads just redone with new guide bushings, perfect circle seals and perfect 3 angle valve job with LTI springs. Valve covers are genuine Corvette highly polished. Intake is Offenhauser 360° equa-flow manifold that is gasket matched to heads. Included is a junk QuadraJet carb that’s been sitting in a box for 25 years. I would recommend a new Edlebrock (manifold is for AFB, QuadraJet type carbs – Hollys don’t fit). The factory Hypo Rams Horn exhaust manifolds with 2-1/2 outlets are also available for extra money; flywheel also available. Engine built by El Mirage 200 MPH and Bonneville 200 MPH Club member with 40 years of race engine building experience.

9bca430b.jpg

34b8af32.jpg

ad62d4db.jpg

aa177389.jpg

baaf36d8.jpg

Was nervous that if I started banging on the lower area it might tweak the upper part so I welded it up to keep it solid.
0a98445f.jpg

69778c64.jpg

17a3462f.jpg

1d136f4f.jpg

I was able to grind it smooth or at least a lot better. A skim of bondo and some sanding and it will look good. I hope ; )

Itr's gonna depend on if I can get the dents out and get it smooth. Either way it will be satin/flat black and either a color or bare metal with clear over it. I'm hoping for a color but I'm not sure if I have the skills or patience to get the bodywork good enough. I'm gonna try though.

Progress report....

Divorce and a battle for custody of my kids has slowed the build. $$$$ that too ; ) But I've been at least a little busy. Great way to get my mind off stuff.

3293d331.jpg

1e7fc470.jpg

05b45996.jpg

9a62c91f.jpg

Looks good! I wished I would've had somethin that solid and complete to start with! Keep up the good work and hope everything works out for you.

So I need some opinions on something. My plan is to strip the back of the frame and epoxy prime it. Hopefully in black if it comes in it. Them move the cab back to get the front part of the frame cleaned and primed.
I have no way to lift the cab so I need to just move it on the frame.
I have been thinking of how I'm gonna strip the under side of the cab to get the rust off and epoxy prime it. If I were to lay some plywood on the back of the frame and just tilt the cab back onto it so that it's laying on the back of the cab, will this cause problems? Will it cave in the back of my cab? I can't see any other options.

was checking out your build and it looks good. Got some good metal to work with. If ya got a floor jack, and some 2x4s built you a stand under each side and jack it up a lil at a time then slide the frame out from under it.

was checking out your build and it looks good. Got some good metal to work with. If ya got a floor jack, and some 2x4s built you a stand under each side and jack it up a lil at a time then slide the frame out from under it.

Kinda hoping I can just move it do it all on the frame. Just move it as needed. It all depends on if I lay it on its backside if it will mess it up or not.

I've done it with a '49 Chevy cab with no problems. Your results may vary...

You could spread some thick blankets or other kids of cushions on the plywood to spread the load and avoid denting.

Those cabs are built out of some heavy sheet metal with plenty of bracing, I've had mine laid on the back several times with no problems at all. I just laid some 4x4's down and gently rolled it over onto the back! Just don't let it fall or lay it on anything pointy!

I've done it with a '49 Chevy cab with no problems. Your results may vary...

You could spread some thick blankets or other kids of cushions on the plywood to spread the load and avoid denting.

Bob W knows his stuff, however.......... I wouldn't use kids as cushions! May get you in trouble with the law!! [cl LOL

Latest posts

Back