MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about it. I even took the hinges from the XJ6 Jag to see if they could work. But being how the running boards support the front fenders, and everything else mounts up.... I just don't think it would be solid enough for me. I looked at some on Utube and they seemed to be real flexy (is that a word ; ). It would look cool with both tilted but not if it's gonna make the front clip rattle or flex. The bed will only be lifted to work on the truck or to just show off.

LOL It's been sitting there since the boy got his first car. The front bumper is mounted and was starting to redo the rear bed mounts for the rear bumper when we came across a virgin El Camino with a very good price. I'll post some pics in the MUSCLE car spot LOL

After today I'll be getting back to it:confused:

LOL It's been sitting there since the boy got his first car. The front bumper is mounted and was starting to redo the rear bed mounts for the rear bumper when we came across a virgin El Camino with a very good price. I'll post some pics in the MUSCLE car spot LOL

After today I'll be getting back to it:confused:

So is that the boys first car, the El Camino? What year?
My oldest boy is 13 so i have some time but I did find a very good condition Ford F1 short wheelbase truck sitting in a tow yard. It looks very very solid. It is a 48-50 as it has the first series grille rather than the teeth. When I was first showing them trucks and how our Harvester will end up looking rodded out, I would show them F1s as it's a truck I really like. Then we started seeing a couple of them around town and he really likes em'. I might try to pick it up to build for his first ride. If I do, I will just pick up a good running S10 and do a chassis swap. That way it runs and stops fine and doesn't have too much power for him to get in trouble with. I can just see a kid with an old truck like these with a V8!!!!!
It excites me to even think about build my kids first cars. Have fun with yours.

So is that the boys first car, the El Camino? What year?
My oldest boy is 13 so i have some time but I did find a very good condition Ford F1 short wheelbase truck sitting in a tow yard. It looks very very solid. It is a 48-50 as it has the first series grille rather than the teeth. When I was first showing them trucks and how our Harvester will end up looking rodded out, I would show them F1s as it's a truck I really like. Then we started seeing a couple of them around town and he really likes em'. I might try to pick it up to build for his first ride. If I do, I will just pick up a good running S10 and do a chassis swap. That way it runs and stops fine and doesn't have too much power for him to get in trouble with. I can just see a kid with an old truck like these with a V8!!!!!
It excites me to even think about build my kids first cars. Have fun with yours.

Aw man, can't you at least put it on a Ranger chassis?
(sorry it's the Ford [and F-1] lover in me :D )
The late 80s carb'd 2.4 (2.5?) 4 cyls can be turned up a quite a bit as he gets older. They're used in small dirt track cars & they commonly rev 'em over 8K.
-Chaz

Mine! Mine! Mine!

IMG_20110312_122518.jpg

IMG_20110312_122528.jpg

IMG_20110312_122547.jpg

IMG_20110312_122627.jpg

IMG_20110312_122605.jpg

Quick question. The "Oil Spout Hole" has a plug in it. Should i just knock it out from behind? or will that risk cracking or breaking the intake in that area? Should I drill it out until it frees up? Just don't want to risk making a costly mistake.

Yeah you can pop that out. It's just a freeze plug. But do you want to? Nothing wrong with adding oil from the cover.

Snakfarm has a good idea[P

Hi. I just read all of the post's on this build and have to say that you do real fine work. Watching you build your truck has inspired me to hurry up and get my other projects done and get busy on my truck.It will be my first build too.I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished truck as I know it will be one sweet ride.I can hardly wait to get started. Thanks

I ended up drilling most of the plug out and then tapped it all the way through. I figured a way to brace the back of the intake in that area and it came out no problem. Just didn't want to risk messin' up a rare intake. Damon, yes...... the plug had to go. No way to pour oil through these valve covers! Plus, I love the old school oil spouts.

aa177389.jpg

jrotten, thanks. Not sure it's deserving yet, but ok. I have a long way to go. The actual work/building of the truck is easy. It's the researching and actually coming up with the parts to keep moving along that is hard. It must be soooo nice to have $$$ and build hot rods. You can just move along on a project. I honestly think mine would be complete right now if I had unlimited funds. But, I know when it is finally finished I will love it that much more and it will really be my truck. But it's still frustrating being help up because I need parts to keep moving.
Right now, I need the wheels and tires I plan to use so that I can get the front and rear suspension dialed in and all mounted up. I need a distributor and headers along with motor and trans mounts so I can get the 327/700R4 combo "kickin' back" between the rails. Also need a steering column so I can get the steering sorted out to complete the rolling chassis. Uhhhggg $$$$

Last year I helped a buddy pull a 64 chevelle out of a barn all in pieces. Went to pick up the engine, a 350, and at first glance I'm thinking it has an aftermarket intake. Nope, turned out to be one of these DZ intakes with the original carb still attached. [cl

Engine looks great and I love that intake, always cool to have something rare and different from everyone else.
Really like how the tilt bed worked out, great job.

The picture above is with the old OFFY intake on it. I am fighting myself not to put the Z28 intake on it until it's time. I really want to see it on the motor but I'm sure it will look just like the Offy on it now. I have some work to do to the motor so I figure I better wait. I also plan to paint it. I love the Chevy orange but it's not gonna work for my build. Although it will still have some orange on it. Just not the block.

A buddy of mine just picked up a 56' Chevy truck that had just been finished being mocked up then torn down for paint. So he has it getting painted now. He doesn't want the wheels on it, he's into the modern 20's and such, so I may pick them up. They are Centerline Champ 500's with T/A radials. Not sure of the tire size yet. I wanted the regular satin finish Centerlines but if these have the right size tires, I will get these for now. I'd like to have a set of Smoothies with the baby moons as well. I figure I will end up with a few sets so I can change it up.

Got tired of waiting for my friend to make up his mind on his wheels so I am hunting down a set of Vectors or Cyclones. I bought a set of a local guy only to find out they need some work. But they was cheap so no big deal. If anyone has any or knows of any or sees some..... please let me know. Chevy 4.75 lug pattern.

Here are the Vectors I have. They are 15" X 8.5" I am hoping to either find a whole set or a pair in 15' X 6"-7"

IMG_20110330_120944.jpg

I also have a set of Cyclones? 15" X 7" I would like to find a pair of 15" X 8" - 10"

6340_236916145541_572335541_7954722_2693852_n.jpg

I'm hoping to find the 10 spoke Vectors but will use Cyclones for now if I find em'. I am also looking for centercaps for either of these. The Vectors slide in from behind but the Cyclones screw in on the front.
If you have info on these types of wheels, please post up what you know.

Latest posts

Back