MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preface: 46' International Harvester K3 Longbed. I converted over to an 87' Jaguar XJ6 frontend. Rearend is a 95' Ford Explorer 8.8 with disc brakes.
I'm starting to finish up the rear suspension, just going with the standard leaf spring setup. Just ordered my motor mounts and trans mount and will get the 327/700R4 combo transplanted soon.
Also just picked up from another Hamb member, an Ididit 31" universal tilt/shift column.

So looking ahead, I'm starting to look at brake pedal setups. I did take the complete pedal/master/booster setup from the Jaguar I took the front and rear ends from. It would need to be customized to be made to work and I'm not sure I have the room on the firewall for it anyways as it has a huge booster. Thinking I would rather just pick up a new setup as this is too important an area of the build to risk using used parts.
So, my questions for the experts out there, with the huge Jag front disc brakes and Explorer rear disc brakes...... what do I go with? Is there any issues with the under floor setups? it would be nice to go that way and keep the firewall cleaner. My Harvester has a trapdoor in the cab under the drivers feet to access the the battery. My battery is being moved to a different location so this would be a good spot for it. I found this setup for a pretty good price but know nothing about it. Seems that similar products are far more expensive. Any thoughts?
http://www.southernrods.com/categori...duct-1892.html

Thanks. So where is your build at these days? Don't think I've seen any updates.

In the corner collecting dust and has been a good catch all for quite awhile now. We just moved and things are startin to get back to normal and the new job is goin good so I'm ready to get back on it. Hopefully have some updates soon.

Wow, it's been months since I posted anything. over the last few months all I've done is collect parts. Finally found some headers. They are stainless steel blockhuggers. I had to find a certain type to clear the angle plug heads I am using. Then, just picked up a new HEI distributor. I gambled and picked up an ebay special, one of the clear ones. Claims it's a 65K unit. Damn thing is F'n huge. So with the headers and HEI, now the motor is checked off in terms of mockup. Needed the headers and HEI for firewall and steering clearance/setup. I'm going to order an underfloor brake master/booster pedal setup next. Figure I will need it installed at the same time I make a new transmission crossmember. I have two other things to button up before proceeding. I finally have my front and rear Centerline wheels, even another pair for the matching trailer I will build from the old longbed. I have a pair of BFG TA Radials 275/60R15's for the back. Just rollers but will fit better than the 295'50R15's did. I need a pair of rollers for the front, in the 235/60R15 range. The two things are getting the rear suspension/axle mounted up. Then getting the front Centerlines to fit on the Jaguar hubs. There is a shoulder on the Jag hubs that is wider than the center hole on Centerlines, or most wheels for that matter. So I need to figure out how to resolve this problem. Once the front and back is on the wheels and it's sitting right..... I can move on to getting the Motor/Trans/Brakes mounted in. I'll try to get some pics up asap.

Wow, it's been months since I posted anything. over the last few months all I've done is collect parts. Finally found some headers. They are stainless steel blockhuggers. I had to find a certain type to clear the angle plug heads I am using. Then, just picked up a new HEI distributor. I gambled and picked up an ebay special, one of the clear ones. Claims it's a 65K unit. Damn thing is F'n huge. So with the headers and HEI, now the motor is checked off in terms of mockup. Needed the headers and HEI for firewall and steering clearance/setup. I'm going to order an underfloor brake master/booster pedal setup next. Figure I will need it installed at the same time I make a new transmission crossmember. I have two other things to button up before proceeding. I finally have my front and rear Centerline wheels, even another pair for the matching trailer I will build from the old longbed. I have a pair of BFG TA Radials 275/60R15's for the back. Just rollers but will fit better than the 295'50R15's did. I need a pair of rollers for the front, in the 235/60R15 range. The two things are getting the rear suspension/axle mounted up. Then getting the front Centerlines to fit on the Jaguar hubs. There is a shoulder on the Jag hubs that is wider than the center hole on Centerlines, or most wheels for that matter. So I need to figure out how to resolve this problem. Once the front and back is on the wheels and it's sitting right..... I can move on to getting the Motor/Trans/Brakes mounted in. I'll try to get some pics up asap.

The rims I ordered for my 38 packard are 5x5 since the subframe is a buick lesabre and they didn't fit over the hubs either so i took the rotor and one ofhte rims to a machine shop and they turned the hub on the rotor down now they fit perfect!! Give that a try

Thanks. I think it's pretty cool as well, at least what I see it ending up like ; ) More than anything, it will be different. You just don't see Binders rolling around, let alone Rodded out. I'm really leaning towards no emblems on it. Figure not many people will be able to tell me what it is.

You'll get alot of "My grampa had an old Dodge, Ford, Chevy like that" when you start driving it around town.

Yes it is. I have a couple I've found. Been thinking of taking one of the sadder looking ones and pulling the insert and putting a chevy emblem in it and throw this one up on the mantle.

I'm trying to find one of the K series Triple Diamond emblems for mine. One just sold for $75 on ebay that was stripped down to metal. Could have painted it or something.. Never seen a nice one yet.

Well, Pick and Pull had a 50% off sale this weekend so I snuck over for a bit. I had 3 things I wanted to look for. I ended up with 1. ; ) First thing I found and didn't want to ruin it by getting greasy looking for the other engine and suspension parts I'm after. But ended up with a bench seat for $27! It's a bit dirty but will clean up nice. And the only tool I needed was a tape measure. I stumbled across a 1992 Mazda MPV. The seat I bought from this minivan was the 2nd row removable bench seat. I measured it up, looked at it over and over and measured and looked and measured and looked….. and said screw it, I'm giving it a try. So I get it home and pull the slider tracks off. Looks nice and easy to fab up some mounts for it. Sits dead perfect in the cab. Width on the backrest, width on the seat cushion, perfect. the seat cusion just touches the doors with them closed but it's very slight. It has a fold down/up armrest with cup holders. In the up position it's not as comfortable as the regular back area but it's not bad. In case the lady wants to slide over ; ) Or a couple small kids. The backrest sits even with the ridge in the back wall that runs under the back window. It looks like it was made for it. The backrests tilt foward seperate or together revealing a lot of room behind the seat. I was happy to see it as it's plenty of space for a couple or few subwoofers. The handles can be accessed with the doors closed.
Think it will work perfectly fine and puts me that much close.... well to at least mock up the steering column and pedals ; )

IMG_20120115_132514.jpg

IMG_20120115_135716.jpg

IMG_20120115_135814.jpg

IMG_20120115_135840.jpg

It actually does fit about perfect. I didn't look at the mounts yet but wouldn't be shocked if it lines up. It was nice to finally be able to sit in the cab and get an idea of the lack of room in these things!!! haha It's not that bad. I grabbed my column and wheel and held it in place with my feet and knees and just sat there for a minute with my hand on the wheel ; )

Here's a few pics of what I've been doing the last few months. After moving and getting settled in at the new place, I just didn't feel like working on the truck and decided to just parts hunt for a while. I ended up getting the other bed and front clip for my truck. The bed is in really good shape and I couldn't pass it up. I will use it on the truck as it's near perfect, and turn the original bed into a matching trailor. The front clip had a very good hood, but the fenders and grill were beat up. but, got it all for $200 so I was good with it. I also have all my Centerline wheels now. I have two sets of 15" x 10" that will be the rear wheels on the truck and the trailor wheels. And a set of 15" x 8" for the front of the truck. Just need to get a set of front tires for them. They are the satin auto drags. I scored an Ididit tilt steering column for the truck. It is a shift model like I wanted so I can free up floor space in the cab. I know it's not accepted on this site, but I like billet parts and I planned all along to have the interior modernized with billet and other goodies. Don't hate, haha. I found a Grant mahogany steering wheel in perfect shape for cheap as well so now I have my seat and steering ready to mock up in the truck. Next thing I will buy for the truck is an under floor brake/master/pedal setup so I can set it all up. Maybe this one http://www.southernrods.com/categories/brakes/universal-kit/products/product-1892.html
I'm going with a through floor gas pedal as well. I found a set of stainless headers as well that will clear my angle plug heads so that was a relief to take care of. Not sure of the brand but they are built well and should be fine. Also bought an HEI dist so i can have it ready when getting my motor mounted in. I bought the motor and trans mount as well as a ton of different sized weld nuts for the frame from Welder Series. So that's ready to go. Think I'm almost ready to get busy and actually install this stuff!!!

IMG_20111009_102855.jpg

IMG_20120116_102406.jpg

IMG_20120116_101250.jpg

IMG_20120116_101239.jpg

Latest posts

Back