Maybe the proverbial 32 Ford in a hanger!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
My neighbor just called me and asked if I wanted another project. I said I'm always looking for another project. Apparently an old lady is selling her husband's cars and airplanes he has stored in a local airport hanger. He has dementia and can't work on them anymore.

My neighbor is pretty knowledgeable about cars but is more into airplanes. He was at the hanger today and was looking around and saw the car. So I trust what he told me that there is a 32 Ford Coupe in the hanger for sale. He said the body is in good condition, no engine or fenders.

I am going there tomorrow and take a look and some pictures. If it is what he says I will for sure make an offer. I'm excited!![cl [dr [dr

after being "offline" for months, i get back on here n
and hear dmw tell the ratrodding world he has found "it" the hidden 32 ford coupe...:rolleyes:

of course this isnt the first time he has had that type of good fortune!

we await the update[P[P[P[P

Whatever it is, it will be cool, but I hope it is a 32. Good luck and lots of pictures, please. :D

Preacher, glad to see you back among the living ! [cl

You have to follow up every lead, even if most turn out to be a dud. When I was in my early 20's I was building a 32 Ford rpu. A neighborhood kid kept hanging around and kept telling me about this junkyard that had "lots of old cars just like mine." I kinda ignored him because usually these "old cars" turn out to be something other than a desirable model.

One day I had some time so I told him to jump in the car and show me where these old cars were. We drove about 30 miles to a place where there was an old wooden privacy fence, but it had a hole in it where we could climb through. Turns out it was an old Junkyard that had been closed down since the 50's and there were tons of really great cars in there. Inside one building was an old Willys gasser, and some other neat old cars that I forget what models they were.

Long story short, I went back about a year later and the place was leveled to the ground. A guy who lived next door said the children of the guy who owned it (he had died) had a scrapper come in and they hauled out trailer truck after trailer truck of crushed old cars, and then they bulldozed the rest of it. :(

Moral of story.........you snooze, you loose.

Don

'bout time your luck changes for the better,:rolleyes:

I know, if you get it and keep it you will do what is right with it.[cl

Went out to look at the car in the hanger this morning and it turns out it's not a 32. It's a 30-31 Model A Coupe. Still not a bad find. But things kind of go down hill from there. My neighbor Bob, tells me the guy who's helping the folks clean out the hanger told him the lady wants $XXXX amount for the car. So I call her up and offer the same amount. She tells me she needs to talk to her son in Texas first and talk to a friend who is in a car club to find out what its worth. Not sure if any of them have seen it lately or at all. So I offer her a little more just to sweeten the pot. Now I have to wait to find out what the verdict is. :mad::confused::mad:

The body's in decent shape one rust spot on the lower driver's side cowl. Its been channeled and the frame butchered. It could be fixed but if I do build it I'm going 32 rails. It does have hydraulic brakes front and rear. No pedal, no firewall, no visor, no gas tank, steer box/column is questionable.

Show time. Sitting in a corner of the hanger gather dust junk and pigeon poop.
004_zps12c78f59.jpg

003_zpsefdb053a.jpg

002_zps5af23046.jpg

Interior storage area.
005_zps50da7b13.jpg

Front end. Front cross member was replaced with some channel to move the axle forward and to lower the axle.
006_zpsc18d7c1b.jpg

007_zps144698cd.jpg

Cleaned all the junk off to get a better look.

014_zps32b45fc6.jpg

013_zps2fc783a0.jpg

The installation of the steering box, front cross member, and engine mounts and rear bone mounts were a real hack job.
012_zps07fd00aa.jpg

011_zps68640408.jpg

010_zps55faa448.jpg

Best part was I was able to take this home toady.
008_zps02cba000.jpg

The 5000 square foot hanger is for sale too. Oh boy!

Last edited:
cool

COOL[cl[cl[cl

did she give ya a good price or still thinking what she wants for it?

some times poeple think things like this are made of gold.

glad ya got the seat.

if ya git it what is the plan?

Later :cool:

COOL[cl[cl[cl

did she give ya a good price or still thinking what she wants for it?

some times poeple think things like this are made of gold.

glad ya got the seat.

if ya git it what is the plan?

Later :cool:

The original price that was thrown around was very reasonable. But I think other people she talk to watch Barrett Jackson once. :mad:

Plans: dump the frame for 32 rails, chop, SBC, 700R4, basic belly button Model A street rod.

Latest posts

Back