My build - something different

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this build a bunch. As far as suggestions go, and this is a matter of taste, how about some "trailer" style short fenders over the forward top of the tires that stick out no wider than the cab? I think it would help the look. but maybe that is just me.

i love what you guys are doing with these s-10's. Very cool and they look pretty good chopped up like that. It can't be said for too many late model cars.

you asked for it

Here is my comment,you are too far out of the box to use a stock bed -even cut down it still looks like a stock bed. Hell you guys look talented enough to make your own. You know a one off like NOBODY else has one quite like yours.I know you have seen how the mini guys leave all the air ride stuff showing in the beds of their cut up pickups. I love that type of look. A old style round gas tank out of an old hot water heater,some extra long shocks attached to some out in the open home made top mounts. A big old round STOP light mounted on a cool bracket. My bed is 40" long and extends 4" past my tires fron and back.Im sure what ever you do it will look good but you asked. PS Show was excellent, Olskool (Dan) was there with one of his pickups , also saw a guy with a 1000 HP Toronado engine in the back of a 40 Ford pickup.Cant imagine how much $ he had in it,but the frame alone cost him 15K to have it built.Definatly was not a rat. LFE

I really like the spirit of this build. Here's my 2 cents. I agree about the bed, you just can't make it look right. I think something fabbed or just go for the modified thing with a cool gas tank back there. I used some old coke machine sides once and they really got a lot of comments. Or maybe the whole Coke machine, the old 50s chest type.
Now think about where the radiator and grille will go. Many of the S-10 framed rods are ugly as mudd because the only place for the grille is in front of the cross member and very "not well thought out" looking.
Now about stick shifts on Olds engines, not sure on 403s but 330s, 350s, 400s, 425s, 455s only came with a pilot hole in the crank if they were originally equipped with a standard tranny and darn few were. They are great engines but have some valve train and oiling problems.

Update on the bed

Thanks for the comments, they are truly appreciated, especially considering the nature of this build.

I have so much time invested in this bed that it is going to stay. It is getting more "right" as we go. So, in order to get the body lines closer to lined up, I needed to channel the bed over the frame. The first picture shows the bed sitting too high on the frame. The second shows the bottom of the bed - I'd already cut the ends off one of the two stock crossmembers; the third shows the two holes cut to clear the top spring seats - remember- this is a coilover four-link now. With the bed lower, the fuel filler door then hit the framerail, so it had to go, as seen in the last picture. The last two are "after" pictures, but there is still lots to do.

I forgot to allow for the curve in the quarterpanel sides when I measured, so now the frame rails are too wide. More work!

440shorty

Attachments

• BeforeRightView.jpg
    BeforeRightView.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 94
  • BeforeBottom1.jpg
    BeforeBottom1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 69
  • HolesCut_FuelFillerNotYet.jpg
    HolesCut_FuelFillerNotYet.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 72
  • AfterRearView.jpg
    AfterRearView.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 75
  • AfterLeftView.jpg
    AfterLeftView.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 178
I'm watching to see how the bed turns out. Looks like you have a Very creative mind. I would have never thought of doing a frame swap like that.

Very cool and inventive build there.

This just in!

Well, I just measured.
How does21"of engine setback grab ya?

So, the radiator needs to go over the front crossmember - you know, where the engine mounts used to be. Well, I'd scored a big Dodge truck radiator earlier this year - free! So, I am bound and determined to use it. However, after making the first cuts in the crossmember, it was obvious that the radiator was going to be rather wide, and barely fit. After more cutting, it does barely fit, with about 1/8" to spare between the radiator tanks and the front springs.

So, the first pic shows the crossmember before cutting began.
The second shows the first cuts made to open up the area.
The third and fourth show where the frame rails on each side were opened up - the side with the water outlet shows how close the spring is.
Finally, the last pic shows the radiator in place.

Now I have to go back and box in the crossmember and frame rails for strength, and make the actual radiator mounts.

440shorty

Attachments

• XmemberBeforeFront.jpg
    XmemberBeforeFront.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 82
  • FirstCuts1.jpg
    FirstCuts1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 73
  • SecondCutLeftWithRad.jpg
    SecondCutLeftWithRad.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 76
  • SecondCutRightWithRad.jpg
    SecondCutRightWithRad.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 2CutRad3QLeft.jpg
    2CutRad3QLeft.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 111
so thats what all that noise was in the shop all day! you cutting out that crossmember with a drill and sawzall. i still would have cut it with the torch and been done in 10 minutes, lol. looking good.

so thats what all that noise was in the shop all day! you cutting out that crossmember with a drill and sawzall. i still would have cut it with the torch and been done in 10 minutes, lol. looking good. you arent as far from driving that thing as you may think.

Filling up the bed

Here's some more progress pictures - the bed seems like the only place I have to put the gas tank and battery, so here goes:

The first three pictures show a stock S10 battery tray (with cleat) where I wanted it, bolted to the brackets I made, and finally with a battery.

The last two show the stock S10 gas tank mounted next to the battery. Those are stock S10 gas tank straps, bolted to the bed floor and bed front. A tractor tire inner tube provides material to keep the gas tank from rubbing anywhere.

I still need to add a battery hold down to satisfy NHRA rules.

Looks like there might be a little bit of cargo space left!

440shorty

Attachments

• Battery_tray1.jpg
    Battery_tray1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 73
  • Battery_tray2.jpg
    Battery_tray2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Battery_tray3.jpg
    Battery_tray3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Gas_tank1.jpg
    Gas_tank1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Gas_tank2.jpg
    Gas_tank2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 117
Your energy and drive make me envious. My car would have been done along time ago if I had your persisance.
One thing I learned a long time ago is when to let something go. I have cut stuff apart that I had a huge invesment of time in because I just couldn't make it look right. I would have had to made that decision with the bed I think. You have a great little truck going there but the bed is really hurting my eyes. And what about the front? Do you have a plan for how the nose is going to fit around that radiator? Just wondering. Keep on wrenchin'.

This is my favorite style of s10, there is another used for mud racing that sits much lower. Your build has this flavor to me, keep up the great work.

Attachments

• s10.jpg
    s10.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 124
choices

I appreciate the comments and opinions. Willowbilly - the bed may not be the prettiest thing going, but it was not the first choice. However, not having an English wheel, nor a sheetmetal brake means that anything I could fabricate would look worse and cost more in materials. When you see the whole truck, it looks better than the close-ups anyway. And I'm on a schedule - this thing will be on the road soon, finished or not. I can always change things later.

440shorty

P.S. There will be no fenders, no hood, and no bumpers

Sorry I don't have pix but on my 33' chevy pickup I built the bed sides out of a 1950 Dodge pickup hood. Would look killer on that!

More pics

Well, I've been working on the frame up front, where the radiator mounts, but here's some pics of the rear frame rails. The advantages and disadvantages of using a stock frame are evident: On the one hand, I have a nice rear suspension that works well with a pretty large "Z" already, but on the other hand, I have to work with old metal that is irregular in shape.

To narrow the frame rails, I cut with a sawsall, then trimmed and reinstalled the cut off pieces. The first pic shows the frame rails after trimming, but before narrowing. Looks kinda weird with the bed off, doesn't it?

The last two are pics of each frame rail after narrowing. I have lots of pics of the in between. Racers of G-bodies do this same thing for tire clearance, only I stopped where the bed does, as seen in the last pic. Also notice I welded a patch where the fuel door was.

So far, I've been able to use much of the metal I'd previously cut out.

440shorty

Attachments

• Before_narrow.jpg
    Before_narrow.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Right_rail_done2.jpg
    Right_rail_done2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Left_rail_done2.jpg
    Left_rail_done2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Bed_no_axle.jpg