My build - something different

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tailgate

The tailgate will be shortened, and will function. We do also have blazer tailgates, which are smooth skinned (but won't work as is because the hinge and latch mechanisms are totally different) - the plan will be to move the latch to the inside and reskin the tailgate after cutting it down, but at first, I'll section it so that the latch is offset to one side and still works. I was going to get started on that today, but worked on the rear instead. More pics soon.

Also, the plan is to find an old chest freezer that fits the bed, or some other weathertight box,that I can strap down with the tailgate lowered - that will be my "trunk" for traveling. For around town cruising, I can leave it at home and put the tailgate up.

440shorty

Here's another version of an S10 rat rod.

s10rat.jpg

no frame yet and I'm not sure if they ever did anymore work to it or not.
Can you tell me where you captured ths picture thanks

progress...and a poll of sorts

The rate of progress has slowed, mainly due to lack of funds - I've had to use "hot rod time" to make money also :( Time is rather short as it is, but things are looking up. One of the current issues is what engine to use for this project.

I have several options, partly dictated by my desire to use a 5-speed stick, and the fact that all I have are NWC T-5 transmissions, which puts a limit on the torque I can put through it. I'd like to use an odd-ball engine, but one that has respectable power.

Lately, I've decided to transform my daily beater into a street/strip terror, so that takes the 455 Olds out of play.

Here are my current engine options ( I can post pics later of some of them) in no particular order:

(1) '66 Buick 340 V8 - only built for 2 years, looks different than later Buick V8s. It's a 2-bbl engine ( 9:1 compression) but I have a 4-bbl intake and the parts to put it together. I'd need to get a stick flywheel, though. Looks bigger than it is - has a tall deck.

(2) 403 Olds (or maybe a 350 Olds) - I have most of the parts - hot cam, fresh heads, Performer RPM intake, etc. but the 403 short block is worn out (kinda usable) or I'd have to mix 'n' match parts + buy rings & bearings to piece together a 350 short block.

(3) Cadillac 4100 V8, FWD version - very odd ball, but small displacement (250 cubes) - it is a GM reman, ran when pulled. Aluminum block, iron heads. Would have people guessing, but rated at 150 HP stock, with few aftermarket parts available. Easy conversion to carb + HEI though. T5 5 speed can mate to it - I have the bellhousing.

(4) All aluminum Olds V8 - another small-cube powerplant - the heads are off mine, so I'd have to buy parts to at least reassemble it; disadvantage is that it has a weird bellhousing pattern, and I only have the baby Slim-Jim auto for it.

(5) Taurus SHO V6 - we have the complete engine and harness, but would need to scrounge up a Ranger 5-speed and some parts to make it work. 220 HP, wild looking, for sure.

(6) I can get a running '89 EFI 3.8 Buick (FWD) V6 with harness and ECU, and I have a factory supercharger setup off a '93. Would take some work, but would definitely be different.

What do you all think??

No matter what engine I choose, I have a 3.90 geared O rear that will even turn the Cad V8 into somewhat of a hero, and overdrive is definitely in the plan.

440shorty

P.S. It would figure that I have the smallest displacement Cad engine ever made. :rolleyes:

The SHO sounds interesting. The little Buick is a cool engine. The 4100 would look nice but they were really junk, maybe the reman process addressed some of it's "issues"
I always love the olds but they aren't really very attractive out in the open and the 403 has some really weak windowed webs in the block.

UPDATE -- Choices

Well, it has been a fast FOUR months since the last post. New job, had to move, etc. but now I am at a crossroads. Maybe you all can help.

(1) Do I make this thing SILLY fast? The Olds 455 is ready to go, I have a fresh stall converter and 200-4R transmission, fresh 3.90 posi O-rear, and most of the rest of the parts. At the strip, it would need a roll bar for sure, because it would run well under 11.50. But will the roll bar take away from the look? I happen to have a roll cage out of a Fox Mustang that can be made to work, too. It would be a blast to drive, for sure, and would be the "hero" hot rod.

(2) On the other hand, I could put the 455/200-4R into my Pontiac wagon, making a mid-12 sec street car. Again, I have the parts, but do I want to do this?

(3) I also have a Buick 340 V8 that could go in either car - It probably will end up in the wagon supposing I don't put the big Olds in there.

(4) I also thought of chopping the S-10 top ... off completely, making it a roadster. However, the big roll cage required with the big Olds would look...?

(5) The 5-speed dream isn't dead, either - how about the roadster with the little Cad V8 and 5-Speed standard transmission??

Hmmm....

Either way, I'm wanting to get rolling on the S-10, not really work on the wagon. The goal would be mid-October car shows, and get some track time in before the snow flies.

Of course, it all can be readily changed - the way the frame is, there is plenty of room for any of these combinations.

440shorty

The Norstar Caddy motors were good,the earlier ones had lots of problems.
Head gaskets,etc.The will bolt up to a 60 degree V6 bellhousing,but I wouldn't bother.

SHO motors run real strong,their weak link was the transmission.
My brother had one,lots of power.Very cool,if you can figure out
how to make it run.

Just a thought on the Olds. They don't like to go much over 5 grand in stock form and won't live long it you do. Think that optimun shifts will be made at 48-4900 rpms. Don't gear it like it was a sbc.
I like the northstar idea, those run like stink for a small engine.

update - clarification

(1) The SHO engines are history
(2) The little Cadillac I have is not a Northstar, but IS a GM Goodwrench reman.
(3) The big Olds is NOT stock - .030 over, forged TRW slugs, 9.5:1 compression, balanced, oiling mods, W-30 cam... Ran 12.90s in a '71 Cutlass
(4) Yeah, the roll bar would be ugly, probably, especially with no top.

(5) I think I run the risk of building a poser - either ten second capable with no safety equipment, or looks fast, but underpowered. Of course, if it weighs less than 2000#, even as little as 230 Rear Wheel HP would push it to a 12 flat ET. The little Cadillac I have would not make that much, but would get good gas mileage and look cool. The block is aluminum, the heads iron, and if I can find a set, the valve covers chromed. It would still feel good on the street, but would be tame compared to what it would be with the OLDS big block. Or would I be wasting the big block on this??

Any more thoughts?

440shorty

update November 2008

The shop is finally moved. After much deliberation, the engine choice is a 455 Olds. See pic. This was Pete's (a.k.a. rustywrench) last engine. Here it is on our run-in stand, in the new shop, ready to go.

Meanwhile, my wagon's engine dropped a cylinder, so I guess I have to fix it first...

440shorty

Attachments

• Turkey 039.jpg
    Turkey 039.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 88
  • big455rr3Q.jpg
    big455rr3Q.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts

Back