new ford steel, threw the roof

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I couldn't buy and repair a rusted out original body to be safe and beautiful for under $25,000, I should give up cars and buy a bicycle....... Oh! and I'm really liking the $700 crating fee plus shipping extra. [cl

i didnt even get that far, i was in shock, lol.

i wonder if this body is really made here in the usa with usa steel?

Yes they are made right here in Ohio with American made steel. Just a few miles from my house. Here you go - http://www.brookvilleroadster.com

While you're at it, try to find an original Ford body that is absolutely flawless, exactly as original and ready to paint for less money invested than what one of these sells for. Look at the details and the overall operation it takes to produce these. It's not some thrown together turd or fiberglass shell. They are as close to a perfect original Ford as anyone is going to get.

It's fine to build what you can on a budget, but don't knock these guys. It's an American operation built from the ground up by one guy that started making Model A patch panels in his garage in his spare time.

Those are for the rich guys that dont like to get their hands dirty.

For 22K$, I would want it to have a kick ass paint finish too. The 6k$ one isn't "too" out of the ballpark for a quality steel body, but 22? paleese... And like mentioned, if you cant build a body pulled out of a field for half that cost, you got issues. Besides, doing it yourself and getting your hand dirty IMHO is almost as fun as driving them.

I know those are really nice & u'd spend *plenty* buying a cherry '32 coupe body but $22K++ is definitely outta da ol Tripper's price range! Those rusted up ones are lookin' better & better all da time!! My question would be... does it really cost around $15K to add a roof to the roadster!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

I took a bunch of my art work to a show a while back. And there were alot of people who really liked it, but couldn't afford it. That's okay. Some people could and did afford it.
And I won't give it away just so people can own it. I can't make enough, or sell enough to try to after volume sales. These guys probably have the same problem.

I would love to have one, but it is more money than I want to spend, but what isn't?

If I could afford one, I wouldn't mind having it. The cost of tooling up to make those complete bodies would be up in the million dollar range I would think. And even clapped out, hacked up, very rusty, 32 Ford coupe bodies, are really expensive in relation to bodies of almost all other years. I've seen bodies that didn't even look savable go in the $6000 range. That's why I don't have one and why guys that have steel cars are annoyed by people like me.

Check out the cost of a 34 coupe body from SAR.
http://www.realsteel.com/catalog.php?year=3&catid=1

I think those prices are right in line....for some folk....but I dont know any of them folk... fortunatly....no gold chainers around me!!! lets re think this ...now if I was rich?? I would get a 32 . get someone to build it for me ..order all the parts from speedway.... find somone to paint it preaty... then go to the car shows and brag it up how I built her me self...I could even wear white slacks.. bunch of rings on my fingers.. join a 32 club... find a forum for wanna bees....STOP.. :eek::eek: ok I quit dreaming...was turning into a nitemare.... na Id much rather be where I am ...on RRR and in my shop working with my hands...on old tin.........ooops my rant...GET that rust remover outa here...

I agree that they should be here, and command a butt load of money. I love the fact that they are an American made, with American steel but, us po' fokes got to do all that labor ourselves and can't afford those bodies. But I do respect the fact they are building quality American steel bodies. If I had the money to spend like that, I would buy one, but do the paint, and other work myself. They are a much better option than some cheap fiberglass copy. I admire original steel, but the price of that is lots of hard labor, also not a bad thing.. Just sayin..

Those are for the rich guys that dont like to get their hands dirty.

I disagree with this vehemently! Just because a guy is rich it doesn't mean he doesn't like to get his hands dirty. It means he probably got his hand dirtier than most and became sucessful!

32 Fords are expensive no matter if they are original, fiberglass or steel repoduction. They are undoubtably the most popular body for hot rods ever produced. They are a one year only body and ony about 200,000 were made almost 80 years ago. Supply is scarce and demand is high, hence the price. Model A's although popular were made in the millions so prices are reflective of that also.

I know people with moderate incomes that will buy a Brookville body. It is simply a matter of priorities.
Problem is, when you start with an expensive, choice body, it commands quality chassis work, high quality paint and interior. If the home builder isn't capable of work of that level, he's almost forced into hiring the work by professionals.
Many of my friends have high quality hot rods. They are not Gold Chainers. Many probably have less money that I have. But it is what they want and they sacrifice in other ways to save the money to have such a car.

I disagree with this vehemently! Just because a guy is rich it doesn't mean he doesn't like to get his hands dirty. It means he probably got his hand dirtier than most and became sucessful!

32 Fords are expensive no matter if they are original, fiberglass or steel repoduction. They are undoubtably the most popular body for hot rods ever produced. They are a one year only body and ony about 200,000 were made almost 80 years ago. Supply is scarce and demand is high, hence the price. Model A's although popular were made in the millions so prices are reflective of that also.

I hear ya, but you kinda took my comment that was really in jest out of context. I agree with you. One rich guy in particular and whom I admire is Jay Leno. More money than I will ever see, and an avid collector and restorer of classic cars. He has a staff in his garage, BUT he also is in there when time permits in dirty t shirt and jeans getting grime under his own finger nails.. So, the comment wasn't aimed at ALL rich car guys. It was aimed at the ones that just buy one and drive it and trailer it to the shows...

Come on now. Who here wouldn't produce a product to sell to folks with money to burn/throw away/flush at huge profit. Your doing them a favor.
My daughter bought a little countertop coffeemaker with an Italian name from a thriftstore for $30. It retails for $700.

Sorry , I misconstrued your statement. But we have to realize that not all car guys or car girls, for that matter, have the skills, abilities, and resources to build a car/hot rod. If it weren't for these folks, builder wouldn't have anyone to sell too. So it's a give and take, ying and yang type relationship. Some build and some buy, everything is good.

agreed

Sorry , I misconstrued your statement. But we have to realize that not all car guys or car girls, for that matter, have the skills, abilities, and resources to build a car/hot rod. If it weren't for these folks, builder wouldn't have anyone to sell too. So it's a give and take, ying and yang type relationship. Some build and some buy, everything is good.

Yep, it's all good. If I had the funds and wanted a good clean steel body to start with, I'd buy one in a heartbeat myself. Again, they are expensive, but I would go that route before I went with a plastic/fiberglass bucket.. I am glad that manufactures like them are here to provide the option.

Yes they are made right here in Ohio with American made steel. Just a few miles from my house. Here you go - http://www.brookvilleroadster.com

While you're at it, try to find an original Ford body that is absolutely flawless, exactly as original and ready to paint for less money invested than what one of these sells for. Look at the details and the overall operation it takes to produce these. It's not some thrown together turd or fiberglass shell. They are as close to a perfect original Ford as anyone is going to get.

It's fine to build what you can on a budget, but don't knock these guys. It's an American operation built from the ground up by one guy that started making Model A patch panels in his garage in his spare time.

wasnt knocking these guys. just dont have the dough. i still have a hard time with the price though. i think it would be easyer to pay for the tooling, labor and rent of the building with 1000 bodys then 100 bodys. i worked at a stamping plant for 7 years, i know how they work. if it was a 4 die line it would take less than 4 minutes to put out one side on a slow draw press line.

im very happy that it is a usa suppied metal and built here. i didnt know that as well.

if I could afford it I would start with one of those bodies. Glass is ok and if I build a 33 like I want to it will have to be glass. BUT, I much perfer to work with metal. I remember when these bodies first came out and a raodster was $10K. Then $14K and now $22K. But the price of steel is way up over what it was when they started. Look in a GM performance parts catalog. You can buy 70 chevelle coupe or convert, 69 camaro, 55 chevy truck, 57 chevy bodies. I also know some very well off people who work with their hands. One is a comercial fisherman. He works harder than me any day![cl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back