new project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it rolls

got the wheels on and started to figure out the steering arms and tie rod. trying to go with a cross steering set up. having to cram all that behind the spring is turning into a challenge but i think i got it.

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 73
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 64
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 74
it steers

well i got a little more done on my day off. I cut and tapped the drag link, got my steering box mounted and column in. to my surprise it seems to work. I wanted to go with a cross steering set up, with the spring behind the axle it was a little bit of a pain. I had to bend the steering arms to get the tie rod and drag link low enough to not hit the bottom of the frame when the suspension compresses. I also got my brake pedal assembly tacked it. of course i had to cut up my sub floor that i had just made to get it to fit. sucks to back track

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 55
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 51
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 50
caliper brackets

got some more work done this morning. the caliper brackets I got with this kit from speedway were for spindles with built in steering arms but the spindles that came with it of course did not have steering arms. so there was an issue with the brackets and the steering arms sharing a bolt hole. I guess i could have tried to find a new bracket that just went on the top but what fun is that. so some cutting and welding and problem solved.
I got the gas pedal in as well

Attachments

• unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 29
  • unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 30
together and apart

I got to spend a couple good days on the car this week. got my sub floor and body mounts done. also made my radiator mounts. had the car looking like a car. then I pulled it all back apart to weld it all up. I had just tacked every thing to make sure it all fit and worked. I'm going to paint the frame when all the welding is done, a friend suggested por 15. Has any one used this or have any suggestions ? any thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

• unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 37
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 40
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 42
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 37
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 45
Por is good but it will turn grey in the sun.
I have used it before and love it.
It makes a good and tough finish
But be aware that it only works on rusty metal.

I've used POR15. It's pretty good stuff. You can actually use it on fresh steel. You need to use their metal prep on it first though. The stuff is super hard when it's cured so don't get it on anything you don't want it on! Also, the vapors are pretty nasty so you will want a good respirator and plenty of ventilation. They recommend top coating it to keep it from changing color where sun might hit it so you could rattle can over it once it's dry.

Benjamin Moore make an industrial paint that you can get in a gloss or semi gloss black. It covers good and is a pretty tough finish. Not as tough as POR15 or SEM Rustshield which are both epoxy based but still very good. Best part is it's about $34 per gallon as opposed to $120 per gallon for SEM. I use it to paint machine parts I make on the side.

Attachments

• BM-urethane-gloss-enam-0x160.png
    BM-urethane-gloss-enam-0x160.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 5
I used Chassis Saver on the under side of the body on my 33 and really liked it. $39 quart
On the chassis, I used epoxy primer along with an inexpensive acrylic enamel semi gloss.

The reason I was looking at por 15 was that I have a bit of surface rust on the frame from sitting around for a while. Do you guys know if these other products are good to go over rust. It might be easier to spend more $ than to wire wheel the whole frame, maybe.

por 15

well i bit the bullet and bought the pro 15. $55 for a quart, and I still have some left. not to bad. I painted the frame, front end, rear end, and suspension components. then I used some self etching primer and flat black paint on the front third of the frame and front end stuff just because it will see some sun. now I,m starting to put it back together with grade 8 hardware and loctite. Im going to do the brake lines next before the motor and body are back on.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 50
The Chassis Saver is used the same way as Nickfish suggested.
If it's gonna see sunlight, it needs to be top coated in those areas with paint.
All these types of products go directly over rust. You only have to remove the loose scaly areas.

going back together

Well i got started on getting this thing back together. I ran the brake lines and fuel line then got the motor and tranny back in. Installed the radiator and shroud, and got the head lights on. I took the original head light mount and cut it up into two individual mounts. I was pretty pleased with the out come, its always nice to reuse original parts.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 45
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 37
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 36
body is back on

getting this thing back together. body is on and Im starting to wrap up a bunch of small stuff.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 37
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 34
press break

took some time to make a press break to start the floor of the car. bent the center console piece, seemed to work perfect.

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 28
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 24
  • unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 27
  • unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg