No power:( could definitely use some help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawz916

so right now im just trying to wire my igniton and charging system so i can start my motor. my starter is cranking but I am not getting any spark through my distributor. i tried hooking up a power line straight from the battery to the distributor but that still didn't work. I have a HEI distributor and it was working fine before I took the rats nest wiring harness apart and now it not working so I know the distributor is good and its just the wiring that is messed up. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Just a simple way to wire everything up so I can start my motor is all I'm looking for..

JMHO.....back to basics first...

need power, need ground...if you've got both of those, then make sure the rotor is spinning and that the terminal hasn't broke off or such or the contact for the coil isn't cooked...then check the cap, is there a crack in it....apparently you are getting nothing to the plugs or wires...if the rotor is moving and good and the cap is ok, then you need to look for any obvious wire problems in the dist....a problem they had with HEI's was the vacuum advance moving the plate to advance the pole piece would break the pole piece wire from moving back and forth....other than that, could be the module....they have module testers, maybe autozone...if that all checks good coil might be bad...but need to make sure the module plug is fully seated in the cap and that the power wire is on the correct terminal....hope that helps.....

the wire from BAT to dist BAT should have worked, the ignition switch is just a break in the bat wire. Look at your module, they go poof all the time(for no/many reasons)

Coil ground strap! It's uder the coil in the cap, alot of people forget to grab this from the old cap. If it worked fine befor the clean up this is a good place to start.

Attachments

• coil strap.jpg
    coil strap.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back