Noise Factor....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneCold65

I want my 65 429 F100 to be loud but with a deep ground pounding tone. I want it to set off car alarms when I ride by. [ddev

I got long tube headers and I've narrowed my muffler choice down to these ....
Flowmaster Outlaw or 10's (single chambered)
Dynomax Bullets
CherryBombs

Would like to go 3" in 3" out. Can't decide If I'll go the turn down route or run them out just in front of the rear wheels.

Any suggestions or soundclips would be appreciated. :)

If you want a really deep sound, go bigger than 3" on the pipes. I think a 5" single exhaust would sound good.

Also, I think exhaust turned out each side sounds funky. I like the exhaust to go staraight out the back.

I've got 3.5" pipes on my truck with World of Outlaw sprintcar Flowmasters. It breaths pretty good.

HPIM0235.jpg

Last edited:
I've got 3" bullets 24" long on my truck. They are not quite as loud as straight pipes and eliminate the poping/backfire noise that scares old ladies and kids. But very loud for the street, cheap too!!..[cl

Attachments

• virgilina trp 003 (Small).jpg
    virgilina trp 003 (Small).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 25
On my Chevelle I had 15" glass packs and pipes turned down just ahead of the axel. Set off plenty of alarms.

On my coupster I put motorcycle Supertrapps on the header flanges. They are pretty loud. I could make it louder by adding discs.

I've got 3" bullets 24" long on my truck. They are not quite as loud as straight pipes and eliminate the poping/backfire noise that scares old ladies and kids. But very loud for the street, cheap too!!..[cl

What are "bullets"? Glasspacks?

If you want loud I wouldn't suuggest the cherrybombs, I intalled them on my 350 with shorty headers and it quited it down a ton! They are perforated and louvered, thrush galsspacks are only perforated and are much louder.

I'm leaning more toward a set of Dynomax Bullets. I got Race Magnums on my 352 truck. They got a nice tone but not loud till ya get on it and even then they ain't all that loud.

Had Flows on a 302 powered T-Bird I built a few yrs ago. It was plenty loud but lacked the deep tone I'm looking for.

Zoomies...yeah I wish....my open long tubes would suit me but not the man in blue.

LOUD and mean!

I made my headers from old header flanges,rolled my own megaphones and welded Supertraps right on the ends! I have to chew gum while driving to keep my ears from popping! Love the rumble though and can really hear the thumpy cam!:eek:

Attachments

• my sedan.jpg
    my sedan.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 15
Flowmaster 40's are my mufflers of choice... loud but not too loud. You definitely will not be sneakin' up on anybody or sneakin' home late & they set off alarms @ idle! [cl[cl[cl

BoB

Flowmaster race 40 series will give you the deep sound you want. On my ol' 79 F250 with a 460 and headers, I siamesed them into a single 4" pipe, single 40 series muffler and ran 4" to behind the rear wheel. Awesome tone, yes it set off car alarms.
Also using the same 4" single muffler on my Hennway and split it into dual 3" tailpipes, same cool sound, see pic below.

Attachments

• may 6 06 007 a.jpg
    may 6 06 007 a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 16
Flowmaster race 40 series will give you the deep sound you want. On my ol' 79 F250 with a 460 and headers, I siamesed them into a single 4" pipe, single 40 series muffler and ran 4" to behind the rear wheel. Awesome tone, yes it set off car alarms.
Also using the same 4" single muffler on my Hennway and split it into dual 3" tailpipes, same cool sound, see pic below.

I bet that does sound good.

How about the best of both worlds? Run mufflers and put exhaust cut-outs in front of them with straight pipes shooting out the side. Loud when you want- Then push a button and it gets nice and quiet when you roll past a cop.

This may not be what your looking for, but I'll throw my two cents in..On my daily driver I am running a magnaflow muffler(2 in, x pipe, 2 out), I set of plenty of alarms without even trying. I love the deep mellow tone of magnaflow, but when you open it up they sound even better. I do have the pipes dumped right out of the muffler, mainly becuase it is much cheaper than running 3" stainless steel mandrel bent pipe.

I will be running a glasspack on my dodge when the time comes only for sound, I have not heard good things about the performance of glasspacks. They are a striaght trough design, but other mufflers will out perform them hands down.

Good luck,
Paul

Yes BigIrish...they are summit brand glasspacks and sell for about $30 and they have a 18 1/2" long for about $23 Dynomax has the same thing they call bullets but higher price!!..:D
12" Summits are 20.95 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-630810/ I am on a tight budget so those may be the ones for me.

@zzrodder: I had dual chambered Flows on a 302 T-Bird with 2.5" pipes out the back. I had removed the stock tank so the mufflers were right under the back seat....talk about reverb.

So many choices and opinions....thanks for the input guys. :)

Attachments

• tbrd5.jpg
    tbrd5.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back