OK....all or any tire "experts"....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the salt does more damage than any chain or stud would do..

You got that right! And not just the roads either....

It wasn't a problem with the vehicle or the tires, it was a problem with the drivers being stupid. Like people that shift into 4x4 instead of slowing down in slick conditions - gets 'em in the ditch farther.

I chang oil for a living, basicly! I work at a HONDA dealership!
They don't recommend 10,000 miles, most of the newer cars have a maintinence minder! Reccommends when you should change you're oil!
It starts at 100% goes down as the miles go up! Style of driving, highway,
or whatever else is programmed into the system! The harder you drive the faster it goes down! It will go around 10,000 miles before getting to zero if you drive conservatively! Usually it will go about 7, to 7500 miles or so!
It will also recommend a service at 20% thats usually about 5 to 6000 miles!!
Our service advisors and our dealership recommends oil changes at 3,750 miles!!
Now having said all this I'll tell you waht I think personally:

1. I beleive the biggest danger with oil is dirt, not breakdown! (unless your running the car too hot).

2. I change a LOOOOT of oil, and it starts getting dirty in most cars around
4,000 miles or so!

3. I change my own oil at 4500 to 5000 miles!

4. At 7000 miles the oil is always VERY dirty!!

5. I don't like the idea of running synthetics unless you're willing to change it at 4 to 5000 miles!! So it's a wast of money! IMO

6. If you go ten thousand miles it is black as coal, I wont do it!!

I know everyone has their idea what is best and thats fine!! But believe me
I change a lot of oil, and pay very close attention to it, anything over 5000
miles and it's probably going to be pretty dirty!!

I had a AWD one time and I mean one time, If you had to replace one you replace them all. I think it is just a scam to get more money out of the little guyts pocket. For my little 49, I did one time take 2 rims in to have new tires mounted, The serviceman asked where the other two were. I asked what does that have to do with mounting 2 tires. he told me you have to replace all 4 tires with the same size, I told him I have bigger tires on the back then the front so I didn't see where this mattered. He told me he could not mount the tires. I took the rims to another tire shop and was asked the same question, I told the service guy they were trailer rims and the trailer only has 2 tires. what a joke it is getting to be any more.

The tire thing is total BS! The only tire rule I follow is to be sure to use the same type front and rear :ie bias ply or radial both ends. My winter tires for the 4x4 are usually mud or rock tires, actually I run them year round. It is the wifes truck and she only drives 1 1/2miles to work and I drive it in snow weather so the noise is bearable. We use my car for everything else. My daily driver is an 07 VW Jetta 5 cyl. Recommended oil changes are at 10,000. I change at 5,000. MFG recommends 501/505 synthetic oil. Several of the (VW Forum) members have been sending oil samples to the lab for analysis after 10,000 miles. The results are very good, the oil is still in spec after that mileage. I have a tendancy to believe that 10,000 miles oil changes if done to factory specs with proper oil is proper in these particular vehicles.

Most VW's use cartrige type filters, they seem to filer the oil better!!
Not really sure why, judging by looking at them you would'nt think
they would!!

Can't use them in MI....tore up the roads..LOL...yet they allow what is called Michigan trailers....8 axle flat beds that have two center drop axles so they can turn and will carry 160,000lbs of block....but the studs might tear up the roads...I think the salt does more damage than any chain or stud would do..

Funny you mention the trucking industry. We have an outfit here that pulls three-trailer trains. They're talking about allowing them to go 188 ft long and carry 200,000 lbs. Have you seen those road trains in Australia? Anyhow, heavy vehicles do more damage than any tire ever could.

Although they're getting harder to find, we can still run studded tires, EXCEPT on a dry paved surface. We could receive a citation for that. Some people are ignorant enough to run them after the snow is gone, the soft tire warms up, and the studs can come out. :eek:

You got that right! And not just the roads either....

It wasn't a problem with the vehicle or the tires, it was a problem with the drivers being stupid. Like people that shift into 4x4 instead of slowing down in slick conditions - gets 'em in the ditch farther.

There's no cure for stupid, it's permanent. Around here we say, "Disengage brain, engage 4x4". Four tires slide at the same rate as two. Most SUV's have a warning label speaking to high center of gravity, handling characteristics, blah, blah, blah. They should also post a Steve Earle lyric, "It can get you into trouble, but it can't get you out".

One of the big things that allow longer times between oil changes is the OD trans. The engine work a lot less than they used too years ago. I can remember years ago the daily driver would be turning 3000 RPM going 70 mph, now it is about 1700. Almost half the wear and tear so this almost doubles your mileage. Better oils, fuel injection and fuel management, and clean gas blends cut way down on soot and carbon in the cylinder. I can remember when most any engine needed a complete rebuild at 60,000 miles. At 60,000 there was so much carbon on the pistons and in the ports, you would wonder how it ran at all. There were service stations on every corner.

There is no doubt that technology in building..

has had a significant impact on the longevity of the newer motors...but I still condend that given their use, each motor needs service at different intervals....

Old Iron.....think I pretty much said it all...probably too much! :D As usual..:rolleyes:

No I don't sell tires!

No I don't sell tires,my wife drives an AWD dodge journey and we faithfully change from summer tires to winter tires when the seasons change around here...basically 50/50...yea we did the splurge thing and bought different rims,air sensers etc...I figured on the long haul it would be cheaper doing it that way for your not paying a shop to dismount and mount tires every six months...plus we should get longer life out of our summer tires as well for we are only running them half time...Did I notice a difference?...Hell Ya!...winter traction was extremely better and stopping as well was greatly improved...My wife has a DRIVING DISABILITY!..meaning that she knows how to start it as long as it will run on the first try,she knows how to go forward...backing up not so good and doesn't really understand different road conditions and that it makes a vehicle handle different:eek:...I am just trying to make it a little safer for the rest of us out there:rolleyes:....so in my case I'll buy the winter tires.....as far as the oil change thing I probably over kill and still believe that your oil should be changed at 3000 miles...It's the life blood of your engine and still cheaper to change than buying a new motor.

I agree to an extent.....

1. I beleive the biggest danger with oil is dirt, not breakdown! (unless your running the car too hot).

From what I've been told ....the discoloration of the oil is primarily from the breakdown of the additives and the contamination of the oil ....I'm certainly no chemist but I believe the reason oil stays clean and clear for about 3,000 miles is the detergents in the oil have been using their ability to absorb and breakdown the deposits and at 3000 it's about used up and starts to discolor.... the additives do break down because they do their job....when they reach the point of not being able to have enough detergents, high pressure and other additives the oil begins to darken...the deposits are suspended in the oil rather than the detergents and other additives....again, I'm no chemist but this is what I've been advised over the years and to me makes perfect sense.....JMHO
Merry Christmas eve....I'm actually on my computer at home....lol

Latest posts

Back