Questions to ask when buying?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

human

I feel dumb doing this, but there's really no way around it. What sort of questions should I ask about this particular semi-completed project? What are some basic and general things to look for when purchasing a car in general? After reading up on these things for the past several months, I'm still somewhat unsure (probably because now it's my turn to step up to the plate and I've actually got to put some actual thought into it).

1927 Ford T
Custom frame
4 Link rear suspension
9" shortened rear end
Ford big block w/ blower and matching calve covers
Reskinned doors
Shortened and widened bed to match width of cab
Rack and pinion front end

Is there an ownership? A real pain if there isn't one.
Are there any partners involved? Again, a real pain if they aren't there when the deal is made.
Have a list of what's included? Just good business.
Get a receipt. Again, just good business.
If you do go for it, and have to leave it while you get the trailer, or get the cash, or what ever reason, take lots of pictures first. Then you don't have to try and remember it all. It's amazing what seems to 'fall off' and roll under the bench out of sight sometimes...or you get the 'oh no, that wasn't on there' when you know darn well it was. Even more important, if it has some 'real warm parts involved' it just might save your bacon if you have pictures of it before you buy it, it's even better if you have the seller in the picture. Got to look after yourself, the seller won't do it for you. The day of the 'spoken promise and a handshake' just isn't what used to be. Yep, I got burned once, but it's not going to happen again. Protect yourself and you won't have to go through what did. Sniper

Thanks for the advise, Sniper. I'm familiar with selling things in that regard, as I've sold several bikes and a few trucks over the years. I was just wondering if there's anything I should concern myself regarding the build itself. Is there anything major I should look for or anything specific I should ask? Again, I'm a little out of my league, but hoping to get the hang of things. Also, does this sound worthwhile?

Best,
Human

who did the work that was done so far? Did the owner do it all? Is he competent? If he sent stuff out does he have receipts? Custom frame......check the welds. How much body filler is hiding under the paint?

Latest posts

Back