Reliability: how far would you drive you're rod from home?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
l really want to do the cross country cruises that happen in the summer or drive from Washington state to Florida to visit my grand kids.

l would trust my 48 dodge truck to do this and probably the 66 chevelle l am building.

any one else here trust theirs to go very far from home?

Later :cool:

About as far as I could push it...... But hey it's getting better all the time. I might even get the tag next week and see how far it will go.

At this point I would trust our 29 coupe more than our old 97 suburban, same goes for the 65 bird and the olds.

In fact the 65 bird is the nicest driving car we own, over a 2006 Chevy and a 2003 Excursion.

I'm with GJ Mike on my 40 Pontiac.
The engine is fine but the rings are only .043 thick so they would be worn out by the time I got there :)

If you build it and don't cut any corners, you should be able to drive anywhere......I did......changed to a 430 rear later....kinda cut my long drives......too much gas and too long to get there.....but I was the first one away from the light!!!:D

Over the years I've done a few long trips in "toys". The longest was probably 3500-3800 miles round trip in my 48 Chevy pick up

48frt.jpg

Tradition

Our tradition is to take a long road trip within a month of putting a car on the road or finishing a major repair. The Pontiac wagon went to Chicago then back to the East coast via Power Tour 2009 right after swapping in the big Olds V8. Even made some passes at Bristol with it.

Every car I build or repair for us is supposed to be road trip worthy, like 500+ miles because our family is spread way out!

440shorty

I drove mine from Sevierville TN to Daytona Fla to the turkey rod run, 1569 miles there and back. Thats running a stroker engine with dual 2bbls getting 30 MPG. I built mine to drive, over 20,000 miles so far.
Tim

A couple Sundays ago the wife and I took the Willys on it's longest trek to date. Total miles round trip (including a short side trip)................1.4 :rolleyes:

Man I wish I had more brakes, some windows, some lights, and something besides string to hold the doors shut :eek::D

I did get me some white walls though :cool:

442paintedwidewhitesLarge.jpg

Ive had mine a couple of hours away from the house but the pessimist in me will trailer it if I go much farther for fear of being stuck on the side of the road.

Wont know till its done but im still tryin to figure out with dual semi tires wat gearing i should run. Rr

We've put 12,000 miles on our '66 Belvedere since Nov. 2008 and ran a 750 mile round trip once in 2010, it has a used 318 that I know nothing about except it puffs a little smoke when it starts and just keeps running. If I ever get a chance to build our Rat Rod I hope for the same out of the used 305 my dad gave me (and the rest of the vehicle, what ever it turns out to be :D).

I'd drive my cars anywhere but my new PU would require a seat change. Bombers seats look kool but aren't really built with an old man's backside in mind!!! [ddd

BoB

So why not build it to be as reliable as your tow rig?

I tried to lol, but once I broke a belt,so now I carry a spare.I once had a unfinished wire(meant for radio) in dash pop a IGN fuse. Nothing ever serious but with limited tools the simplest of problem can be major.Even a flat is a big deal because there is no room for a spare,so I carry a plug kit and fixaflat.I just dont want to be in the dark on the side of the road trying to fix anything. ;)

Latest posts

Back