Sheesh! Another F-1 build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work Truant. Since you asked for an opinion on the sunken plate box, I wouldn't sink the license plate box into the bumper any more than an inch and I'd move it a little higher on the bumper. I would also trim off the part of the box that hangs below the bumper, even if the tag itself hangs lower........or I would taper the bottom of the box that hangs below the bumper into the bumper so it's not a sharp transition. More of an opinion than you wanted probably :D

Great work Truant. Since you asked for an opinion on the sunken plate box, I wouldn't sink the license plate box into the bumper any more than an inch and I'd move it a little higher on the bumper. I would also trim off the part of the box that hangs below the bumper, even if the tag itself hangs lower........or I would taper the bottom of the box that hangs below the bumper into the bumper so it's not a sharp transition. More of an opinion than you wanted probably :D

The more opinion the better :D

I really like the idea of trimming the bottom of the box off...having it hang down was what I didn't like about it. I was going to mount it higher originally, but it gets into the "rib" of the bumper and I'd rather not cut in to that part of it.

I would just weld a couple studs to the bumper and mount it like it sits but then you run into the tag light issue...I guess I could use those Light n' Bolt things....hmmm....what to do what to do :rolleyes:

Ummmmmmmmm yeahhhhhhh, has it really been that long since I've gotten anything done?! lol

Anyhow, here's the latest progress.

Finished my tag box, looks crappy in the pic though. I went with the wire screen cover to keep with the work truck idea. It's got a taglight mounted inside to keep the man at bay...lol

dscn0009.jpg

Got my brake master cylinder and line lock all mounted up and plumbed.

dscn0024.jpg

Got my clutch master cylinder mounted and plumbed as well. I've got no freakin' idea if it will work on an angle like it's setup but hopefully it will. Hopefully I've got enough pedal stroke and hopefully the bore size is correct...lots to go wrong in the clutch department :eek:

dscn0023.jpg

dscn0020.jpg

Got my throttle linkage and gas pedal all fabbed up.

dscn0015.jpg

Mounted the clutch master cylinder reservoir (it's remote) and my battery as well as put the front sheetmetal back on and radiator back in. No pic with the front sheetmetal back on yet but FYI...it looks bitchin'

dscn0005.jpg

Spaghetti time!!

dscn0004.jpg

Mounted my gauges on the glovebox door so I can close it up and have it "stock" looking.

dscn0016.jpg

And used an old NAPA add on turn signal switch I had laying around. And since a $20 Autozone tach might look slightly out of place I put in an old Dixco I got at a swap meet awhile ago (hope it works)

dscn0008.jpg

Hated to do it but I needed a high beam indicator and turn signal indicators so I put the smallest ones I could get in.

dscn0014.jpg

Finished up a few other loose ends like welding my shifter handle in, tightening bolts, etc.

I'm almost done with the wiring, just gotta wire up the headlight switch, horn button, starter, batt. cables, and brake light switch...then we can see if it'll run :confused:

After that it's new rear wheel studs, a driveshaft and some fluids and we outta be ready for a test run :eek:

Great build truant been following since day one. I couldn't help but notice you didn't have a support bearing on you're steering collum shaft. I'AM not Bashing your build in any way shape or form. I was just thinkin "God Help Us All" LOL! That seems like a long run with all those universal joints that shaft would flop around. Or maybe you've already done this? Keep up the great work!

Great build truant been following since day one. I couldn't help but notice you didn't have a support bearing on you're steering collum shaft. I'AM not Bashing your build in any way shape or form. I was just thinkin "God Help Us All" LOL! That seems like a long run with all those universal joints that shaft would flop around. Or maybe you've already done this? Keep up the great work!

I've had several people ask about that setup. Where the shaft comes through the toeboard it's supported there by a bearing so it doesn't move around at all, static or under load with the wheels turning.

Here's a pic of the lower bearing. And of course like all other steering columns it has an upper bearing by the steering wheel. So it's supported at both ends of the column.

101_1615.jpg

Everything I've read and seen done requires a support bearing for every universal over 2 (thus, 3 universals needs one support. 4 universals needs 2 supports etc.) Since I'm only running 2 I shouldn't need one if it's setup right, no binding, flexing, etc. which it doesn't have any of.

Thanks for raising a flag though! I'll be keeping an eye on it as well as everything else done once it gets to the test run and shakedown time :D

awesome build and please keep the pics coming. Good luck with the wires too. i especially like your ingenuity on the tailgagte hinges.

Thanks Perx :D

More pics when I get something done. Missed a few progress pics though, apparently cameras don't like water :eek:

Nice bunch of progress. Are you running a line-lock there?

Thanks Gastrick. Yup, decided to run a line lock. I guess it will work installed that way. I looked through the instructions and never saw anything about having to have it mounted vertical.

Still need to make a ground cable for the battery & wire the brake light switch (gotta wait until the brakes are bled) but other than that the wiring is done. But I hooked up a temporary ground and tested the wiring...it all works! Headlights, turn signals, turn signal indicators, dash lights, everything! WOOHOO! :D:D:D

Gonna clean the carb and put some fluids in it tomorrow and see if it'll start :eek:

Here's the short story :rolleyes:

The good...

It runs
Sounded great for the little bit of time it ran

The not so good...

The carb. leaked like crazy. But I had an Edelbrock on the shelf I put on instead.
The rear pinion seal leaks fluid quicker than you can put it in
The tach dosen't work :(
The radiator leaks
The electric fan temp. sender leaks (instructions insisted on no teflon tape :rolleyes:)
The brake drums hit the backing plates when you tighten the wheel lug nuts (aren't brake "kits" great :rolleyes:)

Oh well, at least it runs :cool:

Last edited:
Just bugs. There's almost always bugs. That pinion seal may seal up if you spin the drive shaft some. I've had that work for me in the past.

Just bugs. There's almost always bugs. That pinion seal may seal up if you spin the drive shaft some. I've had that work for me in the past.

Yup, that many at once is never fun though :)

And that pinion seal is BAD...lol

:eek: We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!! :eek:

Awesome build and write up. Very inspirational to a newb like myself. Also a little overwhelming the ingenuity you have put into this thing. i don't know if i'm that creative or not. Only time will tell.

Latest posts

Back