Sheesh! Another F-1 build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then I used the sender gasket to mark the screws holes...drilled & then tapped them...

101_1752.jpg

Last but not least, drill the center hole out...

101_1753.jpg

Ooooh purty! Hope it fits :eek:

101_1754.jpg

Test fit number 10,382...

101_1758.jpg

Cut a gasket for the tank side of the adapter...clearance the sender for the screws a wee bit and there ya have it...

101_1759.jpg

Next up was the rear boxing plate and C-notch...Boxing plate in and C-notch tacked in...

101_1763.jpg

And then weld 'er in....every once in awhile I can lay a decent bead...

101_1769.jpg

101_1770.jpg

All done and painted...gee, that was easy!

101_1772.jpg

Squirted some paint on my floor to keep it from rusting...oooh shiny!

101_1776.jpg

Finally got my power steering hoses on...woohoo!

101_1777.jpg

Ran my fuel line too...

101_1780.jpg

Put the rear back in and started on the brake lines...can't find my brake line weld tabs though...I've looked everywhere twice for them....grrrr! :(

101_1781.jpg

great job truant !!! What else do you have planned for the back before the bed goes back on? have you decided on the treatment on the rear bumper yet?

great job truant !!! What else do you have planned for the back before the bed goes back on? have you decided on the treatment on the rear bumper yet?

Thanks Clipper :D Gotta run my brake lines and I think the bed will be ready to go back on. Probably run that hacked up Chevy bumper I got but nothings for sure :cool:

Wow, I haven't seen this one in a while. It's coming along great, you're doing some good work.

Sean

Thanks Sean :D I was looking down the dark tunnel the other day and think I saw a spot of light even if it wasr only for a second or two :eek::eek: :)

Put the bed back on for what's hopefully the last time. Put the skinny bias ply tires back on as well. To run the slicks I would have to run a set of wheel spacers and put in longer wheel studs. At this point I'd rather get it on the road and add them later.

I think they look pretty cool tucked up in there considering they have a 30" overall height :eek:

101_1803.jpg

Had to stick in a little patch panel to get the bed and fender to mount up properly on the pass. side. The rust hole you could stick your fist through was a little to big for my taste :eek:

101_1807.jpg

Next up was trying to figure out a bumper and tailgate mount.

The proposed plan in mock up..

101_1783.jpg

First up was to get a good place to start on a tailgate hinge so off with the old useless stuff...

101_1785.jpg

Now to make up a hinge. The original hinge mount location was real rusty on one side and totally gone on the other...oh well...let's make a new and better one.

101_1786.jpg

Quick! Throw a tack weld on it...it's perfect! :eek:

101_1788.jpg

A little measuring, notching, grinding and drilling later....

101_1789.jpg

A couple of bolts and a couple tack welds...

101_1791.jpg

Mock up version 2.0

101_1792.jpg

101_1794.jpg

Then the tricky part...making the other side match!

101_1796.jpg

Mock up version 3.0

101_1798.jpg

Hinge test 1.0...will it hold...:confused:....success!

101_1801.jpg

Final weld and a little paint and there ya have it...better than new :cool:

101_1804.jpg

Bumper time....

Cut up some 3" wide flat stuff for brackets. 1/4" thick for the bumper side and 3/8" think for the frame mounting part. A simple T bracket sort of thing should do the trick.

101_1808.jpg

Drill a couple holes, add a couple bolts....

101_1810.jpg

101_1811.jpg

Tack weld the other piece of the bracket on, tack weld the bumper on, do the same on the other side, double check the measurments, pull it all of, weld it up and add a little paint and there ya have it....

101_1825.jpg

101_1819.jpg

Not quite done though. I didn't like the gap above the bumper so I added a sheetmetal cover-upper thing..

101_1820.jpg

101_1824.jpg

101_1826.jpg

101_1828.jpg

Started working on a tag mount. Think I'm gonna french, sink, whatever ya call it, the tag into the bumper. So I made up a box...

101_1831.jpg

101_1833.jpg

The plan as of now is to sink it back into the bumper about 2" in it's current location...what do you all think? Sink it in 2"? Maybe sink it less? Put it somewhere else all togther? :confused::confused:

101_1834.jpg

rear bumper

looking good truant !!! how bout one of those fold up and down plate holders for those quick getaways ;)
Are you leaving the stock tail lights
or do you have something up your sleeve?

looking good truant !!! how bout one of those fold up and down plate holders for those quick getaways ;)
Are you leaving the stock tail lights
or do you have something up your sleeve?

Thanks Clipper :D I actually thought about the tag flip up thing....I don't think they would need a tag number to recognize it though :eek:

Gonna run those taillights for now...just wanna get it on the road. I'll change it up later when I figure something out.

Latest posts

Back