Small Block Chevy ID Numbers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince69

I have a small block in my 55 Chevy, and I am trying to ID what it is exactly. The numbers stamped on the block are F327D. These are the only numbers visible on the block. When I laid down the cash for the car the seller told me the motor is a 283. All the numbers I have found say it is a 1960 to 1962 327 Vette engine. Does anyone know what the F327D stands for? One clue it has a breather tube at the rear of the manifold or it could be a vent pipe not real sure. does anyone have any ideas on how to ID this block. Thank you

Vince

One clue it has a breather tube at the rear of the manifold or it could be a vent pipe not real sure.

That's called a road draft tube.

Check the casting number found on the drivers side rear of the block on the top flange that mates with the tranny bell housing.Numbers are raised approx 1/8 of an inch.The are about 3/4 of an inch tall.Even though you may have to scrap greese and dirt away,the numbers may be seen plainly while the engine is still in the car.

Thanks for the quick response . Now I have 327 Envy. Oh well I will have to start looking around for something I can build, I just have to get the (Wardens) approval.

Sb chevy.

Everybody that sells a smallblock Chevy claims its a Corvette engine. As suggested,look on the rear of the block,drivers side and get the numbers. This will tell you what the block is. Also the no. on the right front pad, could have been changed if the block was ever machined and restamped. Also on the back of the block behind the Dist. are codes that give you the born on date of the engine.

Small Block Id

Everybody that sells a smallblock Chevy claims its a Corvette engine. As suggested,look on the rear of the block,drivers side and get the numbers. This will tell you what the block is. Also the no. on the right front pad, could have been changed if the block was ever machined and restamped. Also on the back of the block behind the Dist. are codes that give you the born on date of the engine.
Crossfire Thank you for the suggestion/information. I will climb under the bonnet and get those other numbers to see what I have and then I will start hunting for something I can build with some real horse power so I can spin the rear tires a little further down the road. [S

Latest posts

Back