Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! Opinions on height and maybe how wide I have those lights set? I'm thinking maybe a move inward towards the grill a bit...I think the height looks ok.

Thanks guys! Opinions on height and maybe how wide I have those lights set? I'm thinking maybe a move inward towards the grill a bit...I think the height looks ok.

I also like the height of them but would agree that moving them in towards the grill would look better. Just my 2 cents.

-Chris

Shifted my brackets around, cut off the tabs, wound up with the beams about 3" inward per side. Think it looks better...

Hey thanks ya'll! I think they look better too. I've been looking at the last pic and can see the marks left from the aftermarket tranny cooler on the radiator fins. Looks like it was strapped to the radiator with those ty wraps or similar. Left a pretty good impression on the fins knocking around up there.
This radiator has a tranny cooler in it which has been disconnected and rerouted thru the aftermarket deal which I also have. I want to test the tranny cooler on the radiator and see if I can re-connect it and leave the aftermarket one off. If I want to pressure test it, what would be the upper limit on psi ya'll would use to test it? I'm not familiar with how much pressure to use. I can set it up with the system closed off and a pressure guage...just don't want to pump it up too much. Anybody know what would be a safe test pressure?

Cool! What prompted the change to SBC?
The old gal has been with me since the early 80s. Started in a 76 Nova which was a 305 built by one of my old girlfriends brothers. Moved from the Nova to my 72 C10 where it lived for years. Built twice more while in the C10 and moved to an airboat when a 350 upgrade was done to the C10. I had it sitting out in the weather for the last 10 years and I finally snatched it and parked it inside next to all the rest of this stuff. I needed to hear this one run again. Ran into some on going problems although minor, that kept giving me problems with moving along with this build using the I6. I know this motor and it'll be a nice hand full on this. I was afraid of the shape it might be in from just sitting. I went into it enough to find out there is no internal damage and I firmly believe it's because of that funky looking breather on that motor may have saved it. It's a spark arrester and is required to run airboats in some areas here. It draws all intake up from the bottom of the breather housing. It kept water out pretty good.
Set most of the lower steering stuff up today but didn't get pix yet. Tie rod is in, drag link is in, steering box is in back to the universal joint just outside the firewall and ready to figure the column going up inside.

Steering is in and outside of having to replace the u-joint, it's workable. Wound up being very easy to do and really straight forward. Got bearings and mounts at tractor supply.

Fabbed up the propane tank for my fuel. In case anybody wonders, this size will hold a little over 11 gallons. While scratching around for something to use for a gauge, I came up with this. 1957 Evinrude tank sender. I still have the motor too. It belonged to my Pop, rest his soul. It'll accompany me...

Also been playing with a little skirt with lights and the bumper area/hitch

And mounted the tranny cooler and lines and some bulbs too..

Thanks guys! I was able to use the original float arm by bending it some. It was on one of the old 6 gal tanks and originally had a 90 degree bend in the arm to fit the old tank. When I straightened it out, it layed just about as right as it could get in this application. Some things go real well sometimes and it makes up for alot of foopahs...
The old fuel line connection is just used as a vent. I didn't think the 1/4" line with 3 small feed holes would move enough gas. I plumbed the fuel line in the end of the tank, sloped the pickup at a 45 angle and ended it about an inch above the bottom of the tank so it doesn't lift trash. It's really clean inside right now. Spent hours on cleaning the inside of it. I rigged the tank behind my truck on chains attached in a manner to let the tank roll. Put a bunch of old screws and bolts and nuts and such inside to knock off loose stuff in the tank and rolled that thing around for quite a while out here on my driveway. Besides doing a pretty good job on the inside, it cleaned the outside up too. After that, I cleaned the insides with muriatic acid and prepped it with tank sealer. I believe it will be ok.

Not that I've done much photogenic stuff lately but I broke my camera and just got it replaced. Got a few of my vintage turn signal switch. I'm in a search on the numbers right now because I don't know much about this one. It came with the original wiring harness I got with the DJ5 chassis. Looks similar to some of the old aftermarket items we used to get for this but I don't remember ever seeing one with the tag like this one has. I'm just not sure if this wasn't an item used on the DJ5 made by the same people that sold the aftermarket ones. It's really simple inside. This one was missing 3 screws and a general cleaning and re-tightening of everything. Took all the twisted wire connectors off and reterminated the harness with good soldered connections and heat shrink, cover the outside bundle with wire loom.

This is how the rear of the box looks right now. Planning on re-shaping the Reese hitch into a more simple look, but most is staying. I've been hauling these lights around for about 25 years. Ford repops bought from a JC Whitney catalogue. Got another set too still in the box. Stainless steel, sturdy...made Taiwan...heheh!

Latest posts

Back