Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome looking truck! All this looking around on these forums makes me want to find some steel scrap and start welding something. With my luck though I would end up making a circle while trying to make a square...

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments. It's getting where I feel like this isn't moving along fast enough. I'm not getting in a hurry mind you, I still have plenty to do, but man I can't wait to get it just a little further along. I believe as soon as this thing has brakes, I'm gonna terrorize my driveway for a while, floor or no floor, body work or no body work....:D
I've got over a mile of 2 rut dirt road to play on out here. By the time I make my fastest pass from one end to the other, I should have all my joints and welds thoroughly tested. Sitting on the floor at rest, the front axle clears a coke can by an inch. May or may not be a problem out here...heheh!

Took the afternoon to pull everything loose again and had my buddy help me pull the cab. Before we did, we rolled it outside to take pix of it as is. The next real bunch of pix on this one will probably be the biggest visual change since cab met frame. I'll have the repair panels in place and the top on and most of the body metal will be tended to. Grinding and welding all the seams up will take forever and most will be done after the cab gets back on. Some alignment problems with the cab doors will be addressed and floors too. Got alot of fabbing to do for door tops and windshield frame. I'll be glad to turn alot of attention to this old cab. I'm digging it but it's pretty ragged. Having the doors able to open again will be nice. This old geezer's gettin tired of vaulting...;)

Got some brake stuff done. All the lines and valves are in place. The last connection will be made to the MC when the cab hits home. Also have the E-brake rod ready.

Also Ratified a brand new B&M...

Looks like a ZZ-Top moment to me [cl[cl[cl

017_zps15ee4d50.jpg

This will be my thumb-release E brake. Piece of tractor, piece of 2x4 steel, couple of small levers made from 1x1 angle, small piece of 1/8" weld rod, and a spring. This will weld to the transmission cross member and the E brake rod will tie into the heim.

Not much to report. To that stage where there is plenty of work but not much shows. Got the cab off and some lever work done along with everything I can accomplish underneath right now.

Accelerator pedal was altered from the original Jeep unit. It was originally right hand steer so this was twisted 180 degrees and shortened for use in mine.

What a rust bucket!!! I'll be days and days on top of the already days and days on this. Dedicated or just dumass?

Last edited:
Yes, you started with a rough one. It's great that you have the talent to save it. Gonna be a cool ride.

I tend to jump into the deep end often is how I have to look at it...:D
I think I mentioned way back that this cab had been introduced to two different metal maniacs. I'll be the 3rd. The original back wall to the cab was still there but swiss cheese and had been just lap covered with galvanized tin. I've stepped up the rear corner patches in 3 pieces each side to make it to my new body line pieces and tried to contend with both pieces all the way. Should have replaced it from the start but I'm cutting the center out next. Slowly but surely I creep and am just up at the house for a break, so it's back to work and will have some pix for later this evening. I'm itching to put the top on but have loads of stuff to do and think it'll be more in the way than anything else right now. I've got panels to replace everywhere and frames to make for both windows and windshield too. Plus it's still light enough for me to jockey it around the barn by myself.
I'm the only one of my buds that saw some hope for this one but funny thing is they keep coming around to check on it. I'm a long way out in my mind but just a few days off from taking it for a spin. Thanks for stopping in...

No one wanted to touch it Smallfoot. But they all want to watch you fix it. Sounds like some of my friends.....;)
You are doing great. And oh by the way. We are watching to.[P
Torchie.

Thanks ya'll! Here's some hillbilly fabrication. Did a 2" strip about 10" long and put a 1/2" bead from one side to the other trying to follow what my eye sees for contour. Found the coffee creamer jug filled with dirt packed tight made a pretty good bending aid. The lip around the bottom of the creamer jug actually hooked the bead on the body piece just right to enable a pretty smooth bend just working it back and forth across the jug. A little planishing on the larger roll on the odd shape patch. It laid in pretty good when I did it, just didn't take final pix of that yet.

I cut the double panel out too. Looks alot smoother now. Still have lots of welding and grinding.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Every new piece that goes in gets this thing a little more solid.

The internals gave up after a good scrap. Screwed around for a while with this and just gave in to the cutting disc. Next one will go alot easier. I got the parts to replicate the outer door handles which was all I wanted to try and salvage but I tried going easy with it to no avail.

Getting ready to replace about 8" from the blue lines down. I've squared up the doors and doorways as good as I can. Got the hinges working. Latches will be my work trying to reuse outer handles and a different type inside mechanism. My windows will be a different process that I've heard about but not seen many use. We'll see how that goes soon.

I didn't take a shot of it, but the more I look at my top, the more I want to replace the whole deal. Very little original tin left and I think my attempt at the curves can't be much worse than the wreck I have.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back