The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work on the frame rails... looks like a ton of work, but a great result...

I'll be happy to just have a frame heh heh...

Thank you Dirtyrat. I debated whether or not to sleeve those rails for a while but finally decided that I would regret it if I didn't do it. They were a lot of work but I would do it again because I really like 'em!

It's hard to get back into it when you've taken time off. Glad to see you're back from the burn out.

Of course, now we're expecting to see some new stuff at least once a week.

Like the filled rad cap and vents.

Thank you Dj. It was weird. For a couple of days I could feel myself loosing interest. I tried to fight it by working through it but the work started to suffer, so I just walked away for 5 weeks or so. I have a lot of different interests so it's hard to stay focused sometimes. I am easily distracted by shinny objects! :D

I added a new piece to the arsenal today. Now I can get to finish welding my chassis.[;)

Attachments

• !cid__2012-08-28_18-37-34_702_.jpg
    !cid__2012-08-28_18-37-34_702_.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 41
Nice machine!! You won't regret it, they are worth every penny

I use a Miller 250X that I bought new about 13 years ago..it has been absolutely trouble free, just consumables..I've ran about 1500 lbs of wire through it..

Last edited:
I purchased a Miller 210 Autoset, dual voltage in May. Sweet machine. I found it likes .030 wire and is not as happy with .025. I run 75/25 Argon/co2 and 220V.

The Autoset feature works well for me, with tweaks when material thickness is not spot on.

Thanks guys! I have a Miller 135 that has been flawless but I also wanted a "heavier" machine. I've been waiting patiently for a while and finally, this one popped up on Craigslist. The previous owner bought it new 6 years ago and never used it. It's never even been plugged in! He's a nice old car guy and he was telling me stories of when Bill Hines worked on one of his cars. He was surprised I knew who Bill Hines was. :D

Seems a little steep for a 6-71. Maybe it is a left coast thing. You can score the same setup on the right coast for around $1700...

I still need to add a few crossmembers, kickers and mounts, but I finally got out in the garage and finish welded my chassis...the perimeter at least. [;)

Attachments

• !cid__ResizedImage_1350260762779_.jpg
    !cid__ResizedImage_1350260762779_.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 54
  • !cid__ResizedImage_1350260793064_.jpg
    !cid__ResizedImage_1350260793064_.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 43
Looks like you are making some awesome progress!

Its a good day when the perimeter of the frame is welded... indeed!

Agreed. Any progress is good!

I've been chipping away at my chassis as time allows. Most of the crossmembers are in, the x-member is in, both fish plates are in, the tube ends are capped and so on. I redesigned the rear four-link mounts, so I tore the old ones off. I have it flipped over right now while I weld the underside. There is still a little to add but it's getting there. I've also had to fix a couple of mistakes. Building a chassis on a out-of-level garage floor gets interesting!

Attachments

• GMC 72.jpg
    GMC 72.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 52
  • GMC 74.jpg
    GMC 74.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 54
  • GMC 76.jpg
    GMC 76.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 48
  • GMC 77.jpg
    GMC 77.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 46
  • GMC 78.jpg
    GMC 78.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 47
Thats a good looking chassis Mike!! Very nice

Thank you Tim, I appreciate it.

Since it was 80 degrees and sunny today, I rolled the chassis out of the garage so I could do some cleaning. It was the first time it's been out of the garage! Gonna be a roller soon.

Attachments

• GMC 79.jpg
    GMC 79.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 42
  • GMC 80.jpg
    GMC 80.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 40
  • GMC 81.jpg
    GMC 81.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back