The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Lucky, I hope you're right! My truck would have been done by now if I would stop changing my mind.:D

But that's what it gonna set your truck apart from the others :) The changes you have made are right on :) You can't rush thru things like this :) Your truck is gonna be badass bro!!!

Thanks Lucky. I have a loose projected finish date for my truck but I've said all along, I am not gonna compromise the project just to finish it quickly. It's going to turn out just as I have envisioned whether it takes 1 year or 2. Hopefully it won't take 2 though! ;)

Yeah, it's a pretty monotonous operation. I am glad that part is over and I only drilled 28 holes. Doing the entire frame must drive you guys nuts!

you need to get the circle attachment for a plasma cutter. Then it takes about 7 second per hole. All you need to do is drill the pilot hole. [cl

Mike, we use a plasma cutter too...shh lol dont tell anyone though, but i have been in your shoes man i used to not have one and had to do our first coupe all by drill press and hand hole saw.. It was hell cant wait to see the updates!

Yeah, it's a pretty monotonous operation. I am glad that part is over and I only drilled 28 holes. Doing the entire frame must drive you guys nuts!

Making a template from 1/2" MDF by running the holesaw through it, clamping it to the rail and using it to guide the plasma works real quick too.
Don't have to drill any steel at all that way :D

Mike, we use a plasma cutter too...shh lol dont tell anyone though, but i have been in your shoes man i used to not have one and had to do our first coupe all by drill press and hand hole saw.. It was hell cant wait to see the updates!

Don't worry brother...your secret is safe with me. A friend of mine bought a used Miller plasma off of Craigslist a while back. My was I mad! I am on CL all of the time, I don't know how I missed that one. [S

Making a template from 1/2" MDF by running the holesaw through it, clamping it to the rail and using it to guide the plasma works real quick too.

That's a great tip Wendle. I've been eyeballin' plasmas for a while. I think it's time (or maybe a little late) to get one.[;)

I use 1/8" masonite. It's cheep, holds up to the heat, easy to cut and shape. Plus it is thin enough it doesn't kick the tip out. Nice work BTW.

I use 1/8" masonite. It's cheep, holds up to the heat, easy to cut and shape. Plus it is thin enough it doesn't kick the tip out. Nice work BTW.

That's a great idea Mike, I am gonna use that one. And, thank you for the compliment.

Got a little done on the frame rails Saturday and today.[;)

Attachments

• GMC 39.jpg
    GMC 39.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 60
  • GMC 40.jpg
    GMC 40.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 60
  • GMC 41.jpg
    GMC 41.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 61
  • GMC 42.jpg
    GMC 42.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 55
  • GMC 37.jpg
    GMC 37.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 55

Cool. I only use 1/2" as with my particular plasma nozzle it gives me a couple mm of standoff. Helps the electrodes last longer :)

Cool. I only use 1/2" as with my particular plasma nozzle it gives me a couple mm of standoff. Helps the electrodes last longer :)

Thanks for the tip Wendle. A plasma is definitely on my "gotta get" list.

Well, it was a long road but the frame rails are done. I like 'em!

Attachments

• GMC 44.jpg
    GMC 44.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 73
  • P1011180.jpg
    P1011180.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 55
Those rail came out cool.

On the plasma, like everthing else the more you pay the better you get. I'm using a Everlast supercut 50P (elcheapo $675.00 online) nice thing about it it's 120 or 240 (and you don't have to change the wiring eachtime) good for thiner metal but will cut 1/4" so-so. My younger brother had a sears TD and for being one of thier cheaper models it cut 1/2" real nice.

Remember me?

I got really burned out on my truck a while back so I took a little break. It's been really hot lately and after working in the heat all day, I wasn't really excited to come home and do any welding in my 100 degree garage. Anywho, I am back at it so I have a little to share.

I decided I didn't like the defroster vents on my dash so I cut them out and filled them in. I like it a lot better without them.

A while back I filled the water filler hole on the top of the radiator shell. I left it flat thinking I would mount a hood ornament on there some day, but I decided it didn't flow well so I cut it out and filled it too.

I found a shifter I liked on Craigslist so I bought it and mounted it the other day. I finally have something to hold the Moon Eyes shift knob that I bought last September!

So hopefully I'll have some more progress to report soon!

Attachments

• GMC 49.jpg
    GMC 49.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 40
  • GMC 54.jpg
    GMC 54.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 41
  • GMC 51.jpg
    GMC 51.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 38
  • GMC 50.jpg
    GMC 50.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 39
  • GMC 47.jpg
    GMC 47.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 39
  • GMC 55.jpg
    GMC 55.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 42
  • GMC 56.jpg
    GMC 56.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 39
  • GMC 58.jpg
    GMC 58.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 42
  • GMC 60.jpg
    GMC 60.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 44
  • GMC 62.jpg
    GMC 62.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 42
It's hard to get back into it when you've taken time off. Glad to see you're back from the burn out.

Of course, now we're expecting to see some new stuff at least once a week.

Like the filled rad cap and vents.

Latest posts

Back