The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damb, i forgot about that swap meet. i new it was coming up. i could have baught some goodies and seen my son all in the same weekend. instead i stay home go to the car show and get sun burnt seeing alot of the same cars as every year. that gas pedal will look good in your truck,perfect style.

That's hilarious Shockley! I almost didn't go to the car show after seeing the cruise but I went anyway. There were tons of the same cars but just enough "new" ones to get me there.

I missed the last Sacto Meet so I made sure to make it to this one. It was a pretty good meet too. It took me four hours to get through it. Man, there were a few 6-71 blowers that I really had to talk myself out of... it was tough! The next Sacto Swap Meet is in August so put it on your calender. :D

i was not going to go either but like you said just enough "new" cars to get me there. one in particular was the Nash with the blown small block built by a local guy, i am sure you know who i am talking about. i dont think he knows how to build anything that isnt "cool".

Looking good!

Man your ride is looking good. Fine craftsmanship and it has a bad attitude. Congratulations on a great build. Can't wait to see it on the road. Steve

I was able to get out into the garage for a few hours last night and get some work done. A couple of weeks ago a friend (chopped '56 Willys) suggested that I run my coilovers outside the frame rails. That was unused space so I thought it was a good idea. Last night I made up a couple of upper mounts. I may end up welding in a bridge between the two pieces and flush with the top, or I may weld in a little crossmember and go with the dimple-died cover that's in the pictures. Either way, I will tie the two pieces together. Also, the adjustable lower mount is from Jegs.

Attachments

• GMC 20.jpg
    GMC 20.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 74
  • GMC 21.jpg
    GMC 21.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 69
  • GMC 22.jpg
    GMC 22.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 64
  • GMC 23.jpg
    GMC 23.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 61
  • GMC 24.jpg
    GMC 24.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 25.jpg
    GMC 25.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 67
Looks good mike , mounting the coilovers on the out side of the frame will give you better stabilty , i would run a piece of round tube or 2x2 tube from on side of the 2x4 frame to the other closer to the top of frame where your top coilover mounts are that way when the shock is under load it can't twist tha frame like a cantilever affect .

Can't wait to see it on all 4's with thw monster in the front.

Mike

Lookin good Mike, your install is a lot cleaner, but thats how I did mine, outside the frame rail..

Thanks Tim. It's funny how familiar you become with your project but tunnel visioned at times. Running the coilovers outside the frame seems like a no-brainer but I hadn't even thought of it until my buddy suggested it. Duh!

Looks good mike , mounting the coilovers on the out side of the frame will give you better stabilty , i would run a piece of round tube or 2x2 tube from on side of the 2x4 frame to the other closer to the top of frame where your top coilover mounts are that way when the shock is under load it can't twist tha frame like a cantilever affect .

Can't wait to see it on all 4's with thw monster in the front.

Mike

Thank you Mike. I agree, running the coilovers wide should add stability and at this point, I'll take as much stability as I can get! I do plan on running a crossmember across the rails at the upper coilover mount. I am thinking some 1 1/4" x ? DOM.

Mike i would use 1 5/8 DOM i wouldn't go any less , lot a pressure there side to side [P[;)

What wall thickness would you recommend? I was going to run a pretty thick wall because I know there is going to be a lot of torque through the springs and through the panhard bar. I am also going to run a crossmember from rail to rail at the front corners. Thanks.

man Mike i wish i had you patience, those holes take forever. i want to drill my frame and wishbones. dont want to take the time but will probably be upset if i dont.

Looks good!!:D

looking clean bro i might have to sleeve up my frame looks killer bro![dr

Thank you rip, I appreciate it. How's your truck going?

man Mike i wish i had you patience, those holes take forever. i want to drill my frame and wishbones. dont want to take the time but will probably be upset if i dont.

Looks good!!:D

Thank you shockley. I debated drilling those holes for a while but I finally decided that, as you said, if I didn't I would regret it. I am going to sleeve them then smooth the welds. Are you going to Hot O Rama? I think I am gonna go at least to hit the little swap meet.

ya i had to work the road closer for the cruise tonight. didnt see many cars during the day down there but had a few for the cruise, it was over early though. ya i will be heading down in the morning to see what is there at the swap meet. i think i will be heading down around 10:30 ish. alot of honey do's but i will sneak out for a bit. are you going? if you are i will shoot you a pm with my cell number and we can finally meet.

ya i had to work the road closer for the cruise tonight. didnt see many cars during the day down there but had a few for the cruise, it was over early though. ya i will be heading down in the morning to see what is there at the swap meet. i think i will be heading down around 10:30 ish. alot of honey do's but i will sneak out for a bit. are you going? if you are i will shoot you a pm with my cell number and we can finally meet.

Same story here, a lot of chores to get done but I am hopefully going to finish my frame rails too. Yeah, I think I'll check out the show. It's usually kinda weak but I'd like to hit the swap meet.

A little more to report. Friday night I scored a TH 400 trans. Saturday I finished drilling all of the frame holes. I went through 18 oz. of cutting fluid and ran out on the second to the last hole. I also cut all of the sleeves and a new front crossmember. [;)

Attachments

• GMC 33A.jpg
    GMC 33A.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 48
  • GMC 35.jpg
    GMC 35.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 46
  • GMC 36.jpg
    GMC 36.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 41
That's some really nice work there. I can't wait to see the sleeves welded in and smoothed out and I'm sure you can't either! Are you using round tubing or pipe?

Thanks Paul. Yeah, I was happy to be done drilling all 28 holes, I'll be thrilled when they are all welded in and finished. I am using 2 1/2" I.D. (3" O.D.) schedule 40 pipe. Just for fun, I am gonna weigh the slugs and weigh the pipe sleeves to see what the difference is.

Back