The "crustbucket" 1946 chop top dodge pu. 1st build on the cheap...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a simple mockup of what it will look like. They will sit back further but this is just to give an idea. I really like it so far. I have the taillights for it as well.

Thanks for the positive comments folks..I do love my $25 grille :D

When you are poor you have to get creative :D People were wanting to much
for old pickup beds so this was my unique idea to come out a little cheaper and for the sake of being different as well.

I did a trick today and it works real good, especially if your ride has pitting.
I got tired of looking of at the terrible chrome spray bomb. So today I spotted over some areas of the cab with that red filler primer then I let it dry.

After I let it dry I bombed the entire cab in flat black to better match the grille. After that the cab was steel wooled to weather it. I did that to the grille and it turned out real good.

The next step was scuffing the pitted areas with sand paper. This lets the reddish primer bleed through. After a few rains it will create a nice bloom of rust and give a good blend to the flat black. Great for an aged look! Sand through using different pressure, go lighter in some areas and heavier in others.

So not fake patina, but just sped up a bit :p I dont have any pics of the sanding process YET but I'll get them soon. Have fun!

Here's what the cab looks like in black ...

Nice to see some progress, keep it up!

What size are those rear tyres/wheels?

Thanks..

14x10 cragar ss with n50's (old as dirt bias plies)..they will be going away because mickey thompson is the only company I know that makes a tire that will fit that wheel- $190 a tire- You could run other makes for sure -but for the look I want they gotta be WIDE- Im replacing the back wheels with some 15x7.5
et's with some pretty fat rubber. Probably a 295/50/15. That way i'll have 15's on all 4's. The front's are 15x3.5.

So if anybody wants any period of the era cragars, they can be had cheap.

Here's the '55 dodge lancer speedo I got as well...

Attachments

• 398539690_1380067242_0.jpg
    398539690_1380067242_0.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 13
Picked up the trunk lid today and started chopping it up. I didnt get it perfectly straight ,but close enough to work for me. Quite a bit more chopping to do.

Like I said, no where near done but just me goofing off again and getting an idea of what it will look like.

Earlier this week I ask the neighbor if he can get me a keg since he does deliveries for the local bottlers and today he shows up with this, He wouldnt accept any $ for it so Free FRee FREE! All neighbors need to be this cool :D

Attachments

• keg.jpg
    keg.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back