The Z.Z.Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been working on the truck over the past couple days, hope to have it rolling with in a few days

making the front spring perch

then machined a 7* tapered bung for the tie rod ends on the wishbones. then welded it into a piece of tube to go through the frame. so i could get a socket on the nut and keep water and dirt out of the frame

then drilled through the rails, installed and welded solid the bung assembly

then all smoothed out and tie rod ends installed

This may have been delt with before on this forum, but how do you deal with reversed ackerman when running the tie rod ahead of the axle???

This may have been delt with before on this forum, but how do you deal with reversed ackerman when running the tie rod ahead of the axle???

You will always have issues with the Ackerman with the tie rod out front. You can make it better by bending the steering arms out as far as possible to get it close. The only time you have to worry about Ackerman is when you are turning pretty sharp, and one tire will scrub a little. So on a hot rod the Ackerman being off a little is not a huge deal.

You will always have issues with the Ackerman with the tie rod out front. You can make it better by bending the steering arms out as far as possible to get it close. The only time you have to worry about Ackerman is when you are turning pretty sharp, and one tire will scrub a little. So on a hot rod the Ackerman being off a little is not a huge deal.

The situation I have on my front end seems to be really bad. I have bent the steering arms out as far as they will go and the one tire scrubs really bad. I wouldn't mind if it was at a sharp turn, but it starts to scrub almost right away when the steering wheel is turned. I guess the toe should be out rather than in and maybe it would be a little better?? Right now the toe is set at about 1/8"in.

a little bit more progress

got the body, hood and grill back on the chassis to get the body mounts fabbed up

and started cutting the sleeves for the front frame rails

This is pretty cool. I like the tubing work. A buddy of mine just bought and resurrected a huge exhaust machine with a ton of dyes. [S I need to go try it out. The curves lend an organic look that matches the flow lines of these old trucks.

nothing to exciting to report. started welding in all the sleeves and capping the front rails

and some welding on the rear of the chassis in between jumping around on the front of the chassis

and starting to get the cab mounted on the chassis in the morning

working on getting the cab mounts mocked up

body removed and starting to weld the chassis up solid

body mounts

tubular k member

trans x member all welded up

welding in all the sleeves on the passenger side rail

welding and grinding to get everything smooth

Latest posts

Back