The Z.Z.Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know.... I had subscribed to this build early on, then somewhere along the line I jumped off thinking it wasn't going any where I wanted to see. Then I come back to it and HOLY CRAP! It has sprouted a rare blue oval power plant, an awesome stance, a chop and what looks like a way cool vision![cl

This is the same reason i don't throw things out!

Hey everyone, Thanks for your interest. Well I have to tell you that the build had to be shelved last winter due to the fact that our harvest/yields were way down from normal on our farms last fall. Pretty much meant that the Rat was going to have to wait a little longer. Now our wheat harvest is almost ready to roll & it is looking good so will be starting again on the 39'.

I ordered from a guy you may know named Bonehead the 4-link this week. Have also been picking up some minor things like some old antique license plate toppers that we will rivet to different areas of the body/hood. I think that they are pretty cool.

After changing up the build abit the wheels & tires that we had just simply looked lost with the changes. So going the route of Mickey Thompsons on all four corners. Fronts 26x6x15 & rears 33x22x15's. Still have to order a nice set of Weld wheels for the front.

That's about it. Hopefully in around july we can get serious about the chassis. Have some ideas for the frame that we are looking forward to building to have a radical feel to it.

Rex

Another Year Has Come & Gone

Believed that I mentioned when starting this project that it may take awhile. Had no idea it would turn into a marathon!LOL

Well last weekend I loaded up the Boss 9 engine & dropped it off at George Montgomery's shop. Some of you will recognize George as "Ohio George". Greg (George's son) & George are going to build the basket case 9'er for our rat.

It was a lot of fun as they showed me around their shop in Dayton,Ohio. George is 80 now but still works everyday. Greg started inspecting all of the parts as we unpacked them. Took some pics at their shop but they didn't turn out. Next time.

George called up on Monday & suggested that we go ahead & put in a stroker kit rather than search for used 9'er internals. Makes a lot of sense. The Boss 9 stuff is getting pretty scarce & very pricey.

Lator Gators

my basket case

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 80
That Caddy back half is going to look goooooooooooood!

This "Ohio George"? I saw his car at the Henry Ford Museum years ago but it was gone the last time I was there. Was it at their shop?

ciaras021.jpg

well i guess it is my turn to add to this one. i finally got enough time to get started on the chassis.

started cutting the 2x4x3/16 wall tube

made some wood patterns to plasma cut out the flat plate sections for the rear of the chassis

got a lot of the chassis tacked up on the driver side, used a template for the front of the frame that Mr. Gusset had made up

then moved on to setting the cab on the chassis so far to make sure it has the look ZZ rat is going for

rear of the chassis is going to be pinched in for the wide meats out back

then set the block up in the car to see how it was going to lay

a little more progress

cut some 1x1 tube to use as spacers on the front frame rails, using the mill to make sure they are all the same

welding in all the spacers

the front rails all tacked up and squared up, took the cab back off to do some tube work under the cab and finish up the perimeter frame

Latest posts

Back