todays metal project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my friends from Indy came back down to work on the chassis some more

getting the front end mocked up

DSCN5585.jpg

spring pivot mount

DSCN5586.jpg

working on getting the rear end mocked up

DSCN5587.jpg

DSCN5588.jpg

rear spring perch

DSCN5589.jpg

DSCN5590.jpg

rolled it outside to set the body on

DSCN5591.jpg

DSCN5592.jpg

DSCN5593.jpg

rear spring hangers

DSCN5594.jpg

made this roll pan the other day for an O/T car. made completely from scratch, 18 gauge steel. rolled edges, whole thing is crowned and recessed plate box

DSCN5628.jpg

DSCN5629.jpg

DSCN5630.jpg

DSCN5631.jpg

my friends from Indy came back down to work on the chassis some more

getting the front end mocked up

DSCN5585.jpg

spring pivot mount

DSCN5586.jpg

I was wondering if you could show a few more pics of the front spring pivot mounts you made there...and I was wondering if that would also work for a cantilever bag set up for the front?

Michael

there are more pics of this style pivot mount on some of my other builds, check them out. i would think it would work fine for a cant. system. just have to make all the mounts and links

today i did some patch work on my neighbors 57 chevy fenders. i made all the patches and metal worked them in. i got carried away and forgot to take pics before i got the patches tacked in. but you can get the idea.

to start on the rear lower area of the fenders, to make the patches i first made a cardboard template and transfered it to some sheet metal.

DSCN6039.jpg

then cut it out

DSCN6040.jpg

the bottom edge has a curved break on it, so to get that is used the bead roller with a tipping die.

DSCN6042.jpg

DSCN6043.jpg

DSCN6045.jpg

then i had to put a regular break on the back edge. then run it through the shrinker to get the curve to match the original fender

DSCN6046.jpg

DSCN6047.jpg

here is the new (extra) panel

DSCN6048.jpg

DSCN6049.jpg

thanks guys

this weekend i helped a buddy make a new pulley guard for his 61 wheel horse 701 lawn tractor

here is what we started with

photo1_zps0724bf83.jpg

photo2_zpsb77339c3.jpg

started to make the new one by taking some 18 guage sheet metal and bending a 90* flange on one side. then i took a radiused T dolly and slapper and made the crisp 90 into a radiused 90 to match the original. then took took it to the shrinker and used it shape the side to match the original.

photo3_zps565e1762.jpg

hammering out some tucks that formed

photo4_zps85afa1f0.jpg

back to more shrinking

photo5_zpsea1beb0c.jpg

all the shrinking and hammering done to match and tacked together

photo11_zps9a5a1229.jpg

then moved on to the top section. made a cardboard template and transferred it to steel. here it is with the bead rolled into it and cutting it to fit the side

photo21_zps14db2f5a.jpg

all trimmed and tacked in place

photo31_zpsf9ca54c7.jpg

all welded up and ground down. still needs some hammer and dolly work and filing to smooth it out

photo41_zpsaa6a8fdb.jpg

photo51_zpsc822324a.jpg

What machine do you use to stamp out all those diamond pleats in steel? They match my diamond pleated interiors perfect.. Not sure where i seen them but you were making them??

Latest posts

Back