todays metal project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The upper wheel is a tipping die and the lower is a rubber skate board wheel. The rubber lower wheel allows you to cross lines with out crushing them. I have a video somewhere I will post a link to it later when I get home

the other day i got a package that had a sketch of some lower cowl patch panels for a 37 ford truck, and also one windshield wiper motor cover. i needed to make two lower patches and both motor covers. so here is what i did

here was the wiper motor cover he sent me.

DSCN6501.jpg

made a cardboard template

DSCN6504.jpg

after a trip through the slip roll

DSCN6505.jpg

and a little wheeling to get it closer to a good match

DSCN6506.jpg

after some more wheeling, and running it through the bead roller to get the flange

DSCN6508.jpg

DSCN6510.jpg

now time for the lower body patch. i didnt have a bead the right size and shape so i had to hand make it

DSCN6512.jpg

ran it through the bead roller to get the bead started with a step

DSCN6513.jpg

DSCN6514.jpg

after some hammering on a 1 in round T dolly

DSCN6515.jpg

Last edited:
I'm always impressed with your work, I can't wait to someday try to do some of these things when I have the space and tools. Your work is very inspirational for sure!

started working on an air management box for a customer in CA today. it is all clamped up, still need to finish some more louvering

front

DSCN6549.jpg

DSCN6550.jpg

sides

DSCN6551.jpg

back

DSCN6552.jpg

DSCN6553.jpg

lid

DSCN6554.jpg

I see you made a patch panel for a model A on post #77. Can you make that same panel with the body lines for a coupe quarter panel below the rt glass ? If you can will it have the same slight bow that the body has ? Thanks in advance.

i am sure i can, i would need to know exactly how much of the body line you would need, and if it needs the section were the body lines change. it will have some curve in it, it might need a little bending to get it to match your car 100%

yesterday night (1/7) my buddy decided he wanted an aluminum 4 piece hood on his coupe before Cincinnati Cavalcade of customs indoor car show, load in for the show is tomorrow (1/9) so this is were i am as of the end of today, everything is fabbed up, and louvered, center hinge is in. all i have left to do tomorrow is but hinges on the sides and latches. this is 5052 16 gauge, the sides have 105 louvers per side

DSCN6709_zps0f78d45a.jpg

DSCN6710_zps7186f4e7.jpg

DSCN6711_zps87a7ff43.jpg

Latest posts

Back