todays metal project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
more work on the retractable. the rear pan area around the license plate had been frenched...... well kind of. so all the needed to be replaced back to the stock look

started shaping the panel on the e wheel. the rear panel looks pretty flat but there is a little bit of a compound curve in the center. with the straight edge you can see the crown

then added the roll and two breaks to the bottom end of the panel

then stripped the paint and filler stripped around the area and prayed some dykem

cleco'd the panel to the car to scribe the cut line.

all ready to cut out first thing in the morning

more progress on the 57

the rear patch all welded in and ground down

had to cut the bracing out behind the panel to get at the back of the welds for some hammer dollie work

after the hammer and dollie it was time to break out the shrinking disc to smooth her out

rear bracing welded back in

all ground down and some primer added

rear panel finished up

found some more rust, out with the bad

in with the new

so now it was time to tackle the inner wheel well so i could move onto the quarter panel repairs

trimmed out more of the damaged area that needed replaced, which also helped make room to repair all the damage on the inner wheel well itself

clamped the quarter patches on to make a cardboard template of the wheel well opening

then transferred the cardboard pattern to 3/4 inch plywood to make a hammer form

wheel lip hammered out and fulled from the form

after some shaping, bead rolling and trimming it is test fit into the car

then edges cut and tacked in

fully welded then ground smooth

quarter patches clamped back on to make sure nothing moved, and to get a game plan on the next steps to repair the quarter panels where the new stampings dont reach

Last edited:
more progress on this one.

made a patch and got it tacked in to repair the radiused area of the quarter panel

then fit and welded solid the rear corner of the quarter

then we are left with this nice little gap

formed a little filler piece and clamped it in place

tacking it up just to the lower quarter, that way i can weld it solid to the quarter patch, pull it off and metal work it before welding the entire lower quarter on

the inner wheel well piece took me about 6-7 hours from start to finish

have been super slammed at the shop with all kinds of projects, here are a few sheet metal projects i have been working on

been making this 4 pc. hinged hood for a 35 ford truck, all hand made even rolled all the hinges with a hammer and dolly. still needs some fine tuning but looking pretty good

and have been hand shaping an aluminum front engine dragster chute body here is where i am with it

man it has been a long time since i updated this thread. lots of things have been going on lol.

been working on making some aluminum 55 chevy fenders for a cutsomer

hand made wheel well tub. made from 1 piece no welding involved

new fire wall pieces for a customers studebaker truck

two hand made aluminum deck lid skins. one for a 34 ford coupe, and the other for a 29 coupe

lots of custom sheet metal work going on, on this 32 sedan. reshaping the hood, and grill shell for a more stream lined look

a weird hole repair in a 32 grill shell

all fixed

made this new gas tank top for a local shop

here is some metal work on 32 ford chassis i am building for a customer

made some aluminum door skins for a boat tail speedster

also am building a miller indy car body. this body is a replica of the winner of the 1925 indy 500 winner

aluminum hood i made for a track t

also made a belly pan for it

a fan shroud we made

also picked up a new power hammer

i will try to up date this thread more often than once year lol. there has been a lot more things going on in the shop than i posted here hence why i have not been posting much. i am just always so busy. these pics are just some of the more interesting things i have been working on

Latest posts

Back