todays metal project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
started another fuel block today, this one is a 2 port finned block still needs the ports drilled and tapped. soon i hope to be producing these to sell. this one is also machined aluminum then sand blasted to look cast

DSCN6842_zps68d91d5f.jpg

DSCN6843_zpsb0ff6183.jpg

been a while since i have done any worth while random metal working projects.

so i had to make some steel model a bed sides for Graham Hot Rods. He sent me a template of what he was wanting. here is the first bed side all laid out

with everything laid out i need to pre stretch the areas where the beads wiil be. I did this because the beads are quite large , 7/8 wide x 3/16 deep, to keep the warping to a minimum. i used the E Wheel

here you can see the stretched areas on the panel

then we ran it through the bead roller, didnt take any pics, but it just looks like following a line.

here is one bed side done

and both panels done

That is some nice looking work. If I ever win the lottery or marry a rich woman ,Im going to load up my projects and let you fix them for me.

have not been posting much over the past few weeks. been working on setting up some new shop equipment i got for the shop.

got a new Baileigh Industrial 4 x 4 cnc plasma table for making brackets and tabs to sell, and to make things that i can take to winter indoor shows and sell to the general public that are not interested in buying hot rod parts. have to appeal to masses to make money at those kinds of shows.

here are some of the car parts i have started designing in autocad and cutting out

CNC plasma should end up being a good money maker!!! You ever see the company called SpeedCult? They are up here by me, travel all over the country selling there stuff. I have bought a bunch of it.

Same goes for Harley Davidson. I was sent a cease and desist letter so I give the stuff way and some people donate funds to me cause I'm such a nice guy.

Been using a cnc plasma table for awhile now.

been a busy couple weeks with all the work going on in the shop with customer cars and spent 4 days in Indianapolis for the world of wheels. i devoted a little bit of time to design and cut out some brackets and tabs on the cnc plasma to sell all of these brackets and tabs are universal tabs. they can be used for just about anything from shock tabs, 4 link tabs, body mounts, or anything else you want to use them for. all of them are 3/16 mild steel with a 1/2 inch hole but can be ordered with different specs.

sorry that some of the pics are upside down or sideways. i rotated them in photo bucket but come up on the board wrong. but you can get the idea

these are a folding tab that work perfect for body or bed mounts but can also be used for any other applications fold the sides down to where you need them and weld up the cut

and these were custom ordered brackets by a customer for some proto typing parts for later model pedal conversions

Plasma cutting

Her is a sissy bar I cut for a buddy's Harley 883.

Attachments

• Larry's dragon (2).jpg
    Larry's dragon (2).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 37
  • larry's dragon 4.jpg
    larry's dragon 4.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 38
the past couple days i have been back on the 57 retractable. lots of fun metal shaping lol

this is what the tail light surround mounting area looked like before, i forgot to snap a pic before i started

after cutting out all the bad areas to make room to work, i cut out some rings on the plasma table to match the back of the tail light housing, and tacked them to the body using the bezel as a guide

after the ring was tacked in, reinstalled the bezel and made a paper template to aid in layout of shrinks and stretchs and give me the basic size and shape of the material needed

after a good long while of shrinking, stretching, wheeling and hammering i have a pretty good looking patch. doesnt look like much but there is a ton going on in this little area, a tapered reverse compound curve

marked, and cut out for new patch to be butt welded in

after all the welding and grinding this is what i had, still needs some attention. but at this point there has been no hammer and dollie work done just welding and grinding

then moved on to the lower area

Latest posts

Back