Well I guess it's started

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My valves in the front are under the car under the bags actually. When I let the air out it blows a dust cloud under the motor. Seems pretty cool to me. As for them shiney things to hell with em if they can't take a joke!!!

Well

So this is what it will look like [S This is max down, can't go more in the front or it'll lay frame and I just don't trust pressure systems that much, 80MPH lose air and which way will it go [S I may have to do something with the rear to get on a more level plane. [S

The second pic is what Sam photo shopped for me in the beginning

Attachments

• Spr 0359.jpg
    Spr 0359.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Bobbed and slammed.jpg
    Bobbed and slammed.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 61
Looks real good! Would be nice to be able to lower that rear more too, but I like the rake also. That front tire looks kinda small under there - IMO. Might just be because I can see daylight behind it.

Great minds think alike

I agree, a little rake is good, I can redo the bag mounts and drop another 3 or 4" and still have a slight rake. Emily agrees the front tires are a little small and yes seeing day light in the wheel well is deceiving.
Seems to be more or less in proportion, bumpers will help I think, i'm going to suck them up tight to the body.[S
"And the beat goes on" [cl

Good idea on the bumpers. What's keeping the rear from sitting lower? Never found a good pic of your rear suspension. Is that a triangulated 4 link?

I love the rake! If you wanted to go lower in the rear did you look at maybe a 1" or 1-1/2" lowering block? .... You may also have to cut some of that bed out, if your rear end is bottomed out against the bed.... just a thought... I'd hate to cut up a bed that looks that good...lol

Good idea on the bumpers. What's keeping the rear from sitting lower? Never found a good pic of your rear suspension. Is that a triangulated 4 link?

Sam your right I haven't taken any pix of the rear, I'll do that today. Basically it's the mounting plates, two flat plate spaced about 3 or so inches apart top and bottom that slide over the stock spring perches.
The suspension is stock GMC single drag link with upper control arms.

Pix to follow.

As promised

Had to leave enough room on the top for the hose, the bottom will be as short as possible

Attachments

• Spr 0362.jpg
    Spr 0362.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Spr 0365.jpg
    Spr 0365.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Spr 0368.jpg
    Spr 0368.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Spr 0369.jpg
    Spr 0369.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 46
What you got there is a triangulated 4-link rear suspension. If the bags weren't hitting, how much farther down could you go? Some guys mount the bags in front or behind the axle. That's the same rear suspension I had in my 85 Cutlass and it seems to me it would drop within a couple inches of the ground.

What you got there is a triangulated 4-link rear suspension. If the bags weren't hitting, how much farther down could you go? Some guys mount the bags in front or behind the axle. That's the same rear suspension I had in my 85 Cutlass and it seems to me it would drop within a couple inches of the ground.

Can you guess this is only the second chevy I've built? While I have the bags out I guess we'll see how low it will go [S If member serves me it was an inch or so from the yoke rubber baby buggy bumber:rolleyes:
I really don't want to be cutting the frame at this point, we'll have to see how it turns out[S
Thanks for the info

been MIA a couple days here but just my opinion the rear needs to get down a bit more... Needs to be level when the air is out. Rake is cool, but you can do that whenever you want let it out in the front hold it up in the back..... just saying...

BTW, that 85 Cutlass Suspension that I mentioned is what is now under my 48 Olds. I think I pulled out all the bump stops. You'll probably need a longer rubber brake line (frame to axle).

I wouldn't go backwards to cut the frame either. Air up the front full and it'll have that gasser stance. Gonna be cool!

My axle mounts look like this.
lrd-over-axle-lower-bag-bracket.jpg

Something else - you'll also want a longer throw shock. At least on the rear or it will be bouncing. I never figured out where to mount shocks on the front, but I think it rides fine without them.

My axle mounts look like this.
lrd-over-axle-lower-bag-bracket.jpg

Something else - you'll also want a longer throw shock. At least on the rear or it will be bouncing. I never figured out where to mount shocks on the front, but I think it rides fine without them.

I had an epiphany for the rear and it's a lot like your pic, when I get to it i'll show pix.
Yes on the shocks, finding compressed and extended lengths is tricky.
This is how I did the front shocks, mounts came with the kit[S There is limited movement so I not have needed the either[S

spr0248_zps01413077.jpg

I'm sure it's better to have them - better handling and safer too I would think. Ya gotta figure mine is a 4door land cruiser, not a hot rod, so I'm not taking corners fast or getting on it. But the light back end sucked without 'em - your choice of riding like forklift with the air high or feeling like a bobble head with it aired low. The sweet spot was hard to hit. With the rear shocks, it really smoothed it out.

Here is a .PDF from the Monroe website. http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/2013MonroeM&L_Rev20131001.pdf It gives all the specs of all their products. The code explanations are at the bottom pages. I wish I could tell you what shocks I used, but I misplaced all my info when we moved. (...and I'm not going to go look under the car - it's 3˚ outside.) I coulda told you the brake line I used too.

OH come on it's above 0*. No problem I too have that PDF and I don't seem to have a problem with the brake line.
If you would check your PM please.
Thanks

Back