What do you do for a living?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a company that removes asbestos,lead,mercury and mould etc.
Far from glamorous but it pays the bills.
Looking to sell soon and find a part time job maybe even hauling fifth wheels across the border.

aircraft mechanic (USAF), draftsman (hughs), firefighter 30 yrs retired and now tech fire science at community college two days a week. Oh, and build stuff [cl

I find this thread very interesting. Guys from many backgrounds, all interested in ruff hot rods.
I went to school to be a shop teacher. After student teaching, I changed majors. A shop full of kids with dangerous tools, bent on destruction just wasn't for me.
Spent 35 years in a personal care products manufacturing plant making shampoo, hair spray, etc. Was an Industrial Engineer, Quality Engineer, warehouse supervisor, Maintenance Manager, Engineering Manager and probably a few other positions I omitted. It was a good run.
Been retired for 17 years and have built 15 or so hot rods and drag cars in that time. That's REALLY been fun.
With old age and the ailments that come with it, my hot rod rebuilding pace will be slowing down some, but I ain't ever quitting.

I went to school to be a shop teacher. After student teaching, I changed majors. A shop full of kids with dangerous tools, bent on destruction just wasn't for me.

Bob, my shop is full of tools from our middle school from years past when they still had metal shop, wood shop, and auto shop.

Today, I think they offer a dance class.

Graduated college as a glorified draftsman, did that for a year, got into construction management ending with being a project manager of mainly water and waste water construction projects. Kept getting screwed around in my opinion and got tired of it, quit went back to school for Tool & Die. Make less then half the money, but have more time at home with the family, and a lot less stress.

I worked for a plywood mill until the economy shut it down.. Then I got lucky and 2 weeks later I got a job with a const. co. and I have been here for the past 6 years . I'm what they call a floater :D I drive , forklifts, back hoe, track-hoes , long reach track-hoes, and dump trucks.. what ever is needed at the moment . I like my job , but its not for a family of 4 and any side projects . For the past 3&1/2 years I have been trying to get a good paying job locally , just haven't made it yet . But hey, I'm thankful for the job I have . I could be on un-employment !!! But I have been taking old cars and trucks apart, and buying and swapping, since I was 20 , and Im still doing it..

I moonlight on the side as a stripper, but that has been hit or miss lately. :D

Actually, I retired (for the second time) a few years ago but got bored so I went back to work part time in the marine business. I work in the retail end, selling boat parts and accessories. That part time has turned into 40 hours a week, but it is nice to have money to blow on dumb stuff again.

Don

I own a company that removes asbestos,lead,mercury and mould etc.
Far from glamorous but it pays the bills.
Looking to sell soon and find a part time job maybe even hauling fifth wheels across the border.

A good friend of mine hauls fifth wheels and travel trailers all over north America. I can connect you to him if you are interested.

I've been in education for 26 years. I, too, was a "shop" teacher, Ag Teacher specifically. Also a principal and athletic director. Took a few side tracks to be a general contractor, and process manager in a food processing start up. Neither of those worked out.

I now teach automotive electrical and engine fundamentals to junior and seniors in high school. I also have a mini storage, car wash, 2 rentals, and design and sell septic drainfield systems. Some make money so others don't have too.

Looking forward to retiring so I can spend more time in my shop!

Through college I worked as a warehouseman in a liquor wholesale business. When I graduated college in 08 I got a job as a subcontractor for the EPA as a analytical chemist. The company I was with lost the contract and I lost my job in June of last year. Been looking for a new one ever since. Good thing my wife is an RN she's been supporting me since then.

I've been a contractor all my life. Built custom homes and 2 developments. Somehow got into installing, assembling and repairing sports and fitness equipment. As was said before, it pays the bills! I used to enjoy it,but lately picking up 360 pound treadmills is starting to get to me. I've realized that I'm not a kid any longer! :eek:..:D Getting ready to start up a construction company with my oldest son who's very gifted with building....can't wait!

I have been a copier/printer repairman for the last 17 years. I worked for one large corporation for 13 years, I injured my back badly working for them and they let me go over my injury. I took a job with a local company that pays less but work 4 eight hour days and we get by ok on what I make. It is a fun job, the troubleshooting can be challenging which I mostly like. I drive quite a bit but most of it is in the country, I have seen Elk, deer, coyotes, foxes, turkeys, bears and wolves at work and can fish on lunch break some days.

Latest posts

Back